Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

'Unlocking' a Spirit

Offline appletree_man

'Unlocking' a Spirit
on: April 19, 2008, 04:28:44 PM
Is it possible to mod a Vic Spirit so the tools & blades don't lock ?
Would removing the unlocking switch & spring do anything ?
T

Offline appletree_man

Re: 'Unlocking' a Spirit
Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 08:41:38 PM
Any thoughts ?  Has anyone tried this already ?
T

us Offline WhichDawg

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 09:22:31 PM
interesting idea, I take it you'd like to do this because of the laws?

I'm looking at it (Spirit) and I'm wondering if it might be easier too file the ridge down on the recess nub
where it locks the tool, and just doing that on the blades in question,
that way they can't lock but you'd still have the other tools lock?...

I've never done/heard of either done but if you file it yourself, you can go slow and get it
where you think it is allowed (hopefully they agree with you!).

just an idea, good luck.

Offline appletree_man

Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 10:06:14 PM
Thanks.  I don't have a Spirit but i'm assuming the locking mechanism is the same as the SwissTool i've been examining.

I figure it would be possible to remove the spring, break off one side of the sliding lock, and slide the whole part out of the opposite side, this way the tools would still retain their backsprings but not lock, and I wouldn't need to do any grinding or cutting (I don't have a grinder anyway).
Hope this makes sense  :D  I was just wondering if wiser heads than mine had already tried this.

T

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 10:26:25 PM
I've never really thought about it :think:, I'd say WD sugestion would probably work, but the trouble is in the eye's of the law you'd have to make the file ''blade'' , saw ''blade'' and probably scissors slippies too to make it legal edc ::)

To be honest given the level of relative complexity in the Spirit, and the overall friendliness of the design to sheeple (who'd choose a blunt tipped knife to go on a killing spree!), I'd just leave well alone :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 10:27:53 PM
I'd say the Spirit looks pretty innocent as well.
I'm back!!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008, 12:59:10 AM
Thanks.  I don't have a Spirit but i'm assuming the locking mechanism is the same as the SwissTool i've been examining.

I figure it would be possible to remove the spring, break off one side of the sliding lock, and slide the whole part out of the opposite side, this way the tools would still retain their backsprings but not lock, and I wouldn't need to do any grinding or cutting (I don't have a grinder anyway).
Hope this makes sense  :D  I was just wondering if wiser heads than mine had already tried this.

It would be tricky to get the lock bar out. It is built fairly stout. You would have to grind off one side entirely, then yank the remaining chunk out the other side. (Not easy, because the spring is permanently attached to the lock bar and it would resist being yanked through)

Here's the best picture I have that somewhat shows the lock bar and spring:

* vs2.jpg (Filesize: 40.97 KB)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline appletree_man

Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 01:45:21 AM
Ah, yes that's what I see on the SwissTool, i'm glad the Spirit is the same  :)
I'm going to give it a go (once I get a Spirit) and report back  :D

Innocent looking or not it's still technically illegal as EDC without an excuse, i'm too much of a chicken to face the risk  :(
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 01:47:02 AM by appletree_man »
T

Offline Towser

Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008, 05:41:58 AM
Good ol' UK laws eh? lol. I often find it ironic that my two close buddies are coppers, and carry Leatherman Waves whilst on duty - locking blades and a pointed blade that can be opened so damn quickly, it's almost like a flick knife! Leathermans look a lot more offensive than a Spirit.

You can kill someone with something as innocent as a biro or a pencil, yet you wouldn't get questioned for carring those. Carry a folding pliers with a blunt nose knife and you're a criminal on the run with armed response tracking you! lol.

I wouldn't worry about it - and in the highly unlikely event of a stop and search by a jobsworth, ask to see the PC's multitool and why they need to carry them! If they produce a LM wave, scream and back away and start calling for help...  ;)

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008, 09:24:48 AM
Good ol' UK laws eh? lol. I often find it ironic that my two close buddies are coppers, and carry Leatherman Waves whilst on duty - locking blades and a pointed blade that can be opened so damn quickly, it's almost like a flick knife! Leathermans look a lot more offensive than a Spirit.

You can kill someone with something as innocent as a biro or a pencil, yet you wouldn't get questioned for carring those. Carry a folding pliers with a blunt nose knife and you're a criminal on the run with armed response tracking you! lol.

I wouldn't worry about it - and in the highly unlikely event of a stop and search by a jobsworth, ask to see the PC's multitool and why they need to carry them! If they produce a LM wave, scream and back away and start calling for help...  ;)
I can see you fitting in just right arround here mate :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008, 04:43:57 PM
Ah, yes that's what I see on the SwissTool, i'm glad the Spirit is the same  :)
I'm going to give it a go (once I get a Spirit) and report back  :D

Innocent looking or not it's still technically illegal as EDC without an excuse, i'm too much of a chicken to face the risk  :(

Obviously no one here representative of multitool.org would ever encourage the breaking of any laws however daft they may seem  ;), but with regards to the Spirits blade I would be amazed if anyone ever had a problem with it. 

Firstly, you would have to be unlucky enough to be walking and be met by a police officer with the tool on you.  Then you would have to be unlucky enough to be searched.  Then the Spirit would have to be found to have a locking blade on it. Then the police officer would have to consider the blade being dangerous which would be daft considering that it is 1, serrated, 2, very short and 3, has no point to it.  Then the police officer would have to see a problem with it and ask you why you have it.  Then he/she would have to not believe your reason for carrying it.  Then he/she would have to be bothered to take you down to the station and do all the paperwork.

There are a lot of steps there before I see any problems occuring.  The way I see it, as long as you're not carrying it whilst hanging around outside the local Co-op drinking White lightning with a large group of teenagers, or waving it around like a wally whilst walking down the street, you should have no worries carrying it.  Besides, the Spirit is small and looks pretty, not large and "tactical" looking.
I'm back!!

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 10:41:49 PM
If you want to just unlock one tool, I would imagine you can grind down the back of that tool where the lockbar jam against to lock.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%