Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

[NSFW] - Graphic Content - How to Gut a Deer with a Knife and SOG Powerlock

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
How to Gut a Deer with Steven Rinella - MeatEater

I just watched a video where it seems a SOG Powerlock is used as a bone saw on a deer. It's a very good demonstration video but also very graphic.  So be advised that there may be gory scenes in an instructional video on how to gut an animal. :D

Any hunters here? What tools do you use?

pt Offline RamoN

Thanks for sharing, very interesting and detailed video, also from what they show i like when they treat the prey with respect  :tu: I dont agree with the people who sees hunting as just killing something.

I love to hunt, unfortunately deers are far from were i am and its hard to find wild deers if you dont know a particular area, most are trapped in private hunting areas for fat oldies that want a trophy  :twak:

I do hunt hares and wild hogs when i can. Hares and common pigs i can handle with any good sharp knife. Never handled a wild hog since i go with a better hunter than me that does that. Also never a deer which by seeing at that video is very similar, but you dont know until you do it.  Never tried a sak for skinning but i would imagine it would be more than up to it, the wenger big saw would be nice to cut through the bone area.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 02:27:03 AM by RamoN »

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
its been quite a while since i went hunting. but that sure is one good way to put a powerlock to good use. i only hunt with a recurve bow and will always eat what i kill

Sent from my Cruize W280 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Good video. Thank you for sharing.

I've never hunted, but I've done all the work on taking a deer apart after the point shown at the end of this video. I took the entire animal down with a fairly small fixed-blade buck knife. Maybe a 6" blade. It would have worked for all the stuff here as well, minus the bone cutting.

I used to live in an area heavily populated with white-tail deer. My brother was on the police department's 'road kill list'. If a deer was hit, and the hitter didn't want the carcass, they'd go down the list until someone claimed the remains. We got something like 4 deer in one season that way. Sometimes the call would come at 3 in the morning, but it usually ended up with 40 to 80 lbs of salvageable meat.

Here is a link the the knife I THINK was the one I had, but don't remember specific models. Sure looks like what I remember, but then most of these buck knives in this line do.
http://www.knifecenter.com/item/BU119/Buck-Special-Hunting-Knife-6-inch-Blade-Black-Phenolic-Handles

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%