Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Best wood for a EDC hiking/walking stick

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Best wood for a EDC hiking/walking stick
on: May 20, 2013, 08:41:50 PM
Ok, who here is good with there knowledge of woods? And maybe even there cacti? I have two hiking sticks, one that I made from scratch and another that I modified. Neither of them do I want to make a EDC stick, there both to tall for what Im after and I don't want to cut them, so why not get/make another? I remember my grandfather had a very unique wood cane, it looked like it weighed a ton but was completely light weight, after looking online I want to say cholla skeleton? Another one I looked up but can't get any info on would be saguaro? I'm after something light but very strong, any other suggestions or info on the two above. Ty JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline 82brutus

Re: Best wood for a EDC hiking/walking stick
Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 09:35:28 PM
I've used dried bamboo.  It is free and plentiful around here.  Just ended up grabbing a few when people clean out their bamboo patches and cut them down to the size I want keeping a knot close to both ends. 

I don't hike all that often (just too busy) so I don't know if it would do well for you or have the look you might want. 
“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 10:09:27 PM
Looks are one thing, but the more important things would be strength and durability. I'm after something that is light weight and will last even when taking a beating everyday. JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

pt Offline RamoN

Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 06:11:08 PM
Ive used dried bamboo before and works really well. Its strong and light. If you can get a small diameter cane with thick walls its the easiest to use and carry. I used it on up and down hikes on mountains but no more than a day or two so i dont know if its gonna stand for days but you could try.

Another recommendation would be eucalyptus, its not so light but strong and easy to find wood.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 06:13:41 PM by RamoN »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 12:28:37 PM
I have a nice ash stick that is quite lightweight and has certainly taken a real beating.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline greenbear

• Outdoorsy type and over-opinionated buffoon
Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 12:30:10 PM
In the UK Hazel is traditional.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 05:38:15 PM
In the UK Hazel is traditional.

Yes I was thinking hazel. Never seems to be too weighty :)
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 06:33:18 PM
As said above Hazel and Ash are traditionally used in the UK

There's a few suggestions here for your side of the pond

http://www.woodworking.com/forum/showthread.php?20797-What-would-be-the-best-wood-for-a-walking-stick

Everything’s adjustable

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 07:16:41 PM
Coincidentally, I've been thinking about this same issue myself lately.  I do a fair amount of hiking, and for day hikes, even longer ones, I prefer a single wooden hiking stick instead of two trekking poles like most people.  I do prefer a pair of trekking poles for multi-day backpacking trips however, as they're much lighter and provide more utility.

For a wooden hiking stick, I'd go with ash, maple, or hickory.  Ash is a bit heavy, but very durable; it's the traditional wood that baseball bats are made from because of its toughness.  The newest baseball bats that are used by many pro players are called Sam Bats, because they're made of maple, and they've got a reputation for being harder to break than the ash bats.  Not sure if that's true, but it's at least worth looking into. 

Hickory is traditionally used for things like axe handles because of its combination of strength and flexibility.  You might not want a stick that's too flexible, but it's also fairly light for a hardwood, so it would be a good choice.

I'm currently working on a new wood hiking stick myself.  My simple solution was to go down to the hardware store and buy a generic replacement handle for yard tools, like a rake or a shovel.  I got one that is about 5' long and made out of ash.  I paid about $10 for it.  It had a crappy finish of some kind of light varnish, which I'm almost done sanding off.  Once I've done that, I'm going to smooth out the pointy end there there's a bevel for the socket of a tool head, drill a hole for a lanyard in the opposite end, and then finish it off with a some walnut brown stain followed by a heavy coating of teak oil I use on my wooden knife handles.  I'm also considering putting a crossbar on the handle end, but haven't decided for sure yet.  I'll post a few pics once I get the chance.
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 07:44:03 PM
I'm only after something 48" tall. doesn't need to be too heavy, nor too light, but would like something with out flex, and something that has strength! again, doesnt have to be fancy, ill be putting a paracord handle and rubber foot(if it doesnt come with one) on it myself. one big thing is the cost of it! i might be going to lowes and just getting a broom/shovel/rake handle.. JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 09:25:03 PM
I took some pics of my two, the tall one i bought off of amazon, it was a plain jane, but i added the paracord hand grip, the sling, ball compass on top, D clip at the top, and the mini flashlight, cant see it but also added notches on the bottom for a ruler or whats under the hand grip(razorblade, zipties, fish string, fish hooks, and something else i dont remember). as for the other, it was a plain stick i found, i took the bark off, sanded it down and put about 10 coats on it, also notched the top to put my JR, and then added the leather grip. i still havent added a wrist strap, its only been 6yrs :think: lol JR
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:32:11 PM by MadPlumbarian »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 09:50:37 PM
the good thing about using a straight branch is that none of the grain has been cut so it retains a lot of strength, machined wood is always going to be a little  weaker. 

My father has made a few and steams the wood straight.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 10:37:23 PM
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline Heinz Doofenshmirtz

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 11:17:25 PM
I'm not a fan of Cold Steel, because of their marketing tactics and ways of doing business, but they do make some good products.  As a suggestion, have you thought about something like this?

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/91PBS/IRISH_BLACKTHORN_WALKING_STICK.aspx
The first Noble Truth: life is suffering.  Only by accepting that fact can we transcend it.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 12:07:05 AM
I'm not a fan of Cold Steel, because of their marketing tactics and ways of doing business, but they do make some good products.  As a suggestion, have you thought about something like this?

http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/91PBS/IRISH_BLACKTHORN_WALKING_STICK.aspx
Yeah I saw that one, it's just to short for what I'm after. Not a bad stick though, there's another one they make that I sooo wish was longer, here, if this one was 16" longer I'd buy it in a heart beat, (price pending) rap the top with paracord and put a rubber cap on the bottom! Never break, light weigh, and very self defensive! http://www.coldsteel.com/Product/91E/ESCRIMA_STICK.aspx

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 10:28:21 AM

Don’t you have any ‘sticks’ growing near to where you are Mad one ?

Everything’s adjustable

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 01:25:59 PM

Don’t you have any ‘sticks’ growing near to where you are Mad one ?
Not really, I'm kinda in the city and there's not many trees around here.. JR

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 01:31:19 PM
This may interest some (usefull for knife handles too)

http://ejmas.com/tin/2009tin/tinart_goldstein_0904.html
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

us Offline 82brutus

Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 01:57:20 PM
Now that's cool.  Thanks for sharing that link. 

I noticed there is one called Mora.  Wonder how it would work for a Mora handle.  :)

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2

“We shall neither fail nor falter; we shall not weaken or tire...give us the tools and we will finish the job.” - Winston Churchill

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: May 25, 2013, 12:47:27 AM
I was thinking, bare with me now, same ballpark but diff league, what about fiberglass? Cold steel makes those couple of toys out of polypropylene, and they ain't cheep but take a beating, so I was thinking at lowes/HD you can get replacement handles for rakes or shovels yet there wood, but, they sell a complete setup with fiberglass handles for $10? Just chop the shovel head off put a rubber foot on the bottom, trim the rubber hand grip and wrap it with paracord for a handle? That's got to make it really light, hollow, but a solid feel?  Whatcha think, I'm kinda interested on this,, JR

gb Offline Philby

Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 12:23:04 AM
I'd go for blackthorn if you can get it.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 04:44:17 AM
When I was in my teens, we hiked around strip mines. The companies that own those lands would strip them and plant fast-growing replacements to prevent soil erosion. One of them was some version of ironwood. I cut a branch off of a small tree that was about 3 1/2' long, and about as big around as my thumb. Once it was dried, it was pretty nearly indestructible. I swing it full force into an iron handrailing at one point, and didn't dent the wood.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 06:45:04 AM
Now that would be cool! But if it was like an ironwood, how heavy was it? JR

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 07:55:31 AM
Has anyone ever tried White Wax Wood? There now using them for self defense staffs, or (Bo staffs) I just watched a video of some guy beat the crap out of a van, putting severe dents, and also breaking the windshield. Yet the staff was still in one piece, they also said that there using them for hiking sticks, but I can't find any info as how light weight they are, there selling them in 4' and 6' lengths price ain't bad either $14 or $19, of course shippings gotta be up there too, but can't be to bad, just can't seem to find much info on these, besides what I just wrote? Anyone know of anything? JR

Offline Travis Autry

Reply #24 on: July 03, 2013, 02:59:58 AM
Like some of the others I use dried river cane/bamboo.  It is light and durable.  My piece has a paracord handle and rubber feet on both ends.  I cut it so I could stash small items in the top section if I wanted.  I also put a large washer in the bottom foot to help protect it.

I like your idea of the fiberglass shovel/hoe handle.  I would  think the diameter might be a little much.  Instead, what about a replacement golf club shaft?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #25 on: July 03, 2013, 03:26:29 AM
Like some of the others I use dried river cane/bamboo.  It is light and durable.  My piece has a paracord handle and rubber feet on both ends.  I cut it so I could stash small items in the top section if I wanted.  I also put a large washer in the bottom foot to help protect it.

I like your idea of the fiberglass shovel/hoe handle.  I would  think the diameter might be a little much.  Instead, what about a replacement golf club shaft?
I would think a golf club shaft wouldn't have enough strength, it might hold the weight but if it came to having to hold all of it probably snap, that and I think it would be to thin. Would be light has heck though, I mean if you wanted to go sports wise I would say a hockey stick, now that should be able to take the weight, especially a fiberglass, but now were talking some $$ that and it's not round! JR

Offline sotto

Reply #26 on: July 05, 2013, 12:17:25 AM
Some thoughts: I've not had good luck at all in terms of "long-lasting" with bamboo. Sooner than later, they start splitting and needed wrapped with tape, until even that becomes ineffective and way too much nuisance.

Last fall/winter, I found something awesome, but probably pretty much only available locally: bay laurel branches. I believe that myrtle is another name for this wood. I ran across a tree that had partially blown down but was still alive. Several side-shoots had grown straight up from the part that was laying on the ground. I machete'd these off to about 5' long and straightened out a couple minor bends over a fireplace flame. I also left the thin bark on. These have turned into awesome hiking staffs. I screwed a brass pipe cap on the end of one, and used 7/8's or 1 inch rubber cane tips on the others. A side benefit is the strong bay leaf fragrance that you get from knicking or bruising the bark. Apparently, when I cut them most of the sap was in the tree roots or base of the tree, because they required little or no drying.

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #27 on: July 05, 2013, 01:00:59 AM
I use bamboo as well. Paracord handle wrap and a chair rubber bottom with a stainless steel lag bolt with a cross hatch pattern cut in for grip.
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%