Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Mako Ti

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Mako Ti
on: May 19, 2013, 05:43:28 AM
  Does anyone own and/or use on of these Leatherman/PocketToolX Mako Ti tools? What do you use them for, photos please. See the leatherman fan boys recommend them, and though I did think it was cool (at first) after a recent maintenance am wondering what is so great about it - besides a fancy spoke wrench or titanium knuckles.

Myself have always relied on a pair of pliers, 6" crescent wrench, and a Y Allan wrench. Of course when I was inducted to multitools, that had replaced the common pliers. Have a circular spoke wrench somewhere but never knew how to use one. Used to carry a 4 way valve core tool - not seen one bike tool that had this on it.

Here is my basic tool kit. Although am still looking for a 6 to 8 inch alloy crescent wrench that is light-weight and thinner than a common crescent wrench. Not found one yet.

Recently the Piranha proved its worth on some seat post spring nuts. (See next photo)
  Charge TTi would of messed up the nut sides trying to tighten them up, and the Wenger S557's universal wrench wouldn't touch them. Were probably the most common 3/8 inch nuts. 6 inch crescent wrench was too wide to get in between the springs. Piranha slid right in there and did the job.  :tu:

So, back to the Mako Ti. Trying to give it a fair look over, but I see closed end wrenches. That leaves out wheel & pedal tightening. Looks to be too big and awkward for the smaller nuts for brake levers, shifting knobs, derailleurs as I would want a smaller wrench for those.

The allan bits are a let down too as the bits are not tapered to hold into the tool, so they will push-through to the other side. So would not only need to hold the item needing repair, but also hold the bit in. No thanks. Y wrench wins.

Mako's large wrench areas, all being closed it, cannot find a thing to use them on. Of what would require a wrench that big would need to be open end. So it comes down to spoke wrench, bottle opener, and  a cool frame?
:facepalm:

What or how do you use a Mako Ti tool for??  :think:
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Re: Mako Ti
Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 10:28:39 AM
  Ended up getting one a few years ago for $12  :D  Don't think I've use it yet. Use the PocketToolX Piranha far more.
1496192037106944.jpg
* 1496192037106944.jpg (Filesize: 59.44 KB)
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Mako Ti
Reply #2 on: December 04, 2019, 09:05:36 PM

Just this summer I was looking at one, though found that I don't need 4 real size bits.
I chose the Piranha 2 instead and like it  :hatsoff:
resize-471.jpg
* resize-471.jpg (Filesize: 157.73 KB)
resize-470.jpg
* resize-470.jpg (Filesize: 150.27 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41