Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Case Russlock: XX Tested, stepdaughter approved

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Case Russlock: XX Tested, stepdaughter approved
on: May 24, 2023, 02:04:21 AM
Found a Russlock for cheap last week, and thought I'd post my thoughts after using it some. I know they're a controversial pattern, and I think it's because they're designed for a very specific, and fairly narrow, niche. If you want a small, traditionally styled, OHO/locking folder you don't have a lot of other options. If you don't want exactly that, there's probably another knife that'll meet your needs better for less. Let's look at those criteria:

russ 0.jpg
* russ 0.jpg (Filesize: 122.47 KB)

Small: Officially, the Russlock is a 2.7" blade on a 4.13" closed body. Unofficially, the handle is around 3.65", because that closed measurement includes the opening lever. Case makes a few other knives around that size. The Sodbuster Jr. and the Mini Copperlock (emphasis mine), showing they consider this to be on the smaller size for a single blade knife. It's roughly comparable to a buck 55/Squire, or a medium SAK. There's nothing wrong with a smaller blade, and 2.5" is more than enough for most tasks many people deal with on a day to day basis. Still, I think a lot of people are expecting a "full size" 3-4 inch blade and 4+ inch handle when they look at pics, etc. and wind up disappointed.

Traditional: The purple's a bit intense, but, all in all, this is still your grand dad's Case knife. Beefy nickel silver bolsters, three rivets, no tabs or buttons or anything like that. Again, not for everybody. But, if you do like this style, you're not going to see a lot of other options with...

OHO/Locking: Thumb holes, studs, etc. aren't very traditional. Buck fiddles with them a little, and there are some friction folders out there that use a similar mechanism to the Russlock, if you don't mind not having a lock. The Russlock is on the very short list of traditional style folders that give you both. I know there's been some questioning about whether these are thumbable or not. I don't think I have particularly strong thumbs (not any stronger than any other kid who played too much Gameboy, then got a desk job) but I'm able to do it. The trick is to "roll" your thumb (similar to the motion for a thumb hole/stud) and to make sure your index finger isn't in the way (probably by lifting it).

russ 1.jpg
* russ 1.jpg (Filesize: 88.6 KB)

(Aggressive hand angle for picture taking, not required for OHO operation)

It's done great on opening packages, light food prep, cutting a string, and all those little chores. Case makes a good blade, and it handles about how you'd expect. It's a very aggressively curved clip point on the top, which I'm not sure how I feel about, but that doesn't impede functionality at all. I showed it to my stepdaughter, and she certified it "cool", instead of eyeroll worthy like most of my knives. I think the bright purple helps, but a win's a win.

Overall, I think it's a slick little EDC for anyone who wants modern convenience in an old school style, as well as a solid choice for a dress/gentle(wo)man's knife.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2023, 02:24:28 AM by BPRoberts »

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Re: Case Russlock: XX Tested, stepdaughter approved
Reply #1 on: May 24, 2023, 04:54:50 AM
Nice write-up!
:tu:

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #2 on: May 24, 2023, 05:51:48 AM
 :iagree: But I am curious about one thing: how does it ride in a pocket? I'd think that the OHO lever might make it a little better suited for sheath carry.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: May 25, 2023, 12:19:38 AM
 :like: :tu: :tu:

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: May 25, 2023, 12:53:42 AM
:iagree: But I am curious about one thing: how does it ride in a pocket? I'd think that the OHO lever might make it a little better suited for sheath carry.

Obviously, everyone's pockets, preferences, etc. are different. I think it rides fine. It's a fairly small knife (very thin), the lever doesn't poke, and it's not a knife that "wants" to open itself accidentally. The only issue I've found is that it is a little prone to sliding out. I suspect this would be less of an issue on a more traditional Case wood/bone/horn, vs the smooth plastic. I also wonder if carrying it lever "down" would shift the center of gravity to help it stay in better.

As an aside, is there anyone on the forum who has the drop point version?

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: June 03, 2023, 04:56:11 PM
Obviously, everyone's pockets, preferences, etc. are different. I think it rides fine. It's a fairly small knife (very thin), the lever doesn't poke, and it's not a knife that "wants" to open itself accidentally. The only issue I've found is that it is a little prone to sliding out. I suspect this would be less of an issue on a more traditional Case wood/bone/horn, vs the smooth plastic. I also wonder if carrying it lever "down" would shift the center of gravity to help it stay in better.

As an aside, is there anyone on the forum who has the drop point version?

There is a drop point version?

Wish more of these were made with Carbon Steel. No interest in SS for me.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 07, 2023, 05:16:17 PM
There's one here. https://caseknives.com/collections/russlock/products/smooth-caramel-swirl-kirinite-russlock

They've also done at least one or two specials with drops.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%