Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

3D Printed SAK Scales

Tofty · 17 · 3420

gb Offline Tofty

3D Printed SAK Scales
on: May 19, 2013, 02:43:27 PM
I know this has been discussed before but i thought i'd show off some pictures of a set of scales i recently ordered:

The fit and finish are both very good with the scales feeling like they won't ever come off again without the help of a prying edge.

The patterns on both sides are subtly different from each other.

I can't comment on how hard wearing these scales will be yet but a bit of model maker's clear coat should help protect the surface from dirt and give the slightly porous plastic surface a bit of a shine.

These scales along with some other interesting designs can be found here:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/electronicnonsense
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 02:46:38 PM by Tofty »
Pictures of most of my work can be found on my Facebook Page.
Also have a look at my Shapeways Shop and SW Torch Shop for 3D printed items.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Re: 3D Printed SAK Scales
Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 03:40:34 PM
Very interesting!  The fancy stuff you've done before has always been very intriguing. 

These ones look a bit Lego-ish, but should be pretty good to hold.  Keeping them clean might be a challenge with all the crevices, but that also depends on the material.

gb Offline 396988

Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 04:21:21 PM
I love the Y design. I am a huge fan of the nylon 108mm scale because of the checkering and knurling. I can see you designs would give a better then stock grip all while looking awesome.

Not sure if you have come across this before but you could use solvent to give a better finish:
http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2013/04/04/transform-3d-print-into-a-high-quality-finished-part-with-3d-refiner-3dthursday/

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 05:53:50 PM
Fun idea. Can they be printed from other materials too?
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 06:57:49 PM
It does have a lego look to it.   :D

If the top scale were the nubs and the back scale the holes.. you should stick multiples together... not sure why, but you could. :D
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

Offline eNon

Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 03:35:50 AM
Thanks for writing a review Tofty.

ICanFixThat, you can clean them up real quick with just an old toothbrush. The materials are also water safe.

396988, I probably wouldn't want to do that with these without first masking off the holes where they fasten to the knife. It seems like you'd also loose fine detail in exchange for a smoother finish. The detail plastic material (pictured on this model in the store) has a more slick & shiny finish than these nylon ones, so they'd probably just end up looking like those anyway.

Nuphoria, I made these available in a few different plastic materials and in different colors. I tested with metal but found that it warped at some point during the process so they wouldn't sit flat on the knife. Check out the site for what's available.

I should make more of these. People seem to dig them. Maybe in some larger size SAK sizes?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 03:38:54 AM by eNon »

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 03:42:34 AM
They are most interesting for sure!
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 03:49:18 AM

I should make more of these. People seem to dig them. Maybe in some larger size SAK sizes?

I'd be interested in a set for a 91mm Victorinox. Maybe the hexagon pattern in royal blue.

Offline eNon

Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 05:57:54 AM
I actually already have 91mm blanks 3D modeled but I haven't had them printed yet to test the fit. I'll try to get that ball rolling sometime soon. Once I make sure the guts work It'd be pretty easy to just apply my current patterns to the larger scales. It will probably be at least twice as expensive though. They basically charge by the amount of material used (the part's volume).

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #9 on: May 20, 2013, 06:35:32 AM
Another suggestion would be a honey color for the hex pattern, if that's available.

Offline eNon

Reply #10 on: May 20, 2013, 01:51:55 PM
This is what's available.

http://www.shapeways.com/materials

Right now they are available in the Strong & Flexible, Detail, and Alumide materials.

za Offline ?eter

Reply #11 on: May 20, 2013, 09:45:13 PM
Nice work! I printed some stuff in blue Strong & Flexible (actually nylon made with laser fused deposition) and I have seen the dye fade to a very pale blue in a bit over two years. They might have improved the colour fastness of their process since then. Alumide is a through coloured product so it will probably hold its colour much better
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 09:46:45 PM by ?eter »

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 02:40:50 AM
This is what's available.

http://www.shapeways.com/materials

Right now they are available in the Strong & Flexible, Detail, and Alumide materials.

Figured a honey color would go well with the hexagonal honeycomb pattern, but will go with the royal blue.

it Offline sardauker

• Just arrived
Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 09:53:13 AM
(cut)

I can't comment on how hard wearing these scales will be yet but a bit of model maker's clear coat should help protect the surface from dirt and give the slightly porous plastic surface a bit of a shine.

http://hackaday.com/2013/03/23/smoothing-3d-prints-with-acetone-vapor/

or a brush ;)

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 11:06:22 AM
no Swiss Cross?  :D

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

Offline eNon

Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 01:24:50 AM
(cut)

http://hackaday.com/2013/03/23/smoothing-3d-prints-with-acetone-vapor/

or a brush ;)

That technique is more suited for low resolution prints from desktop hobbyist machines to smooth out the obviously layered surface. That's not really the case with these prints from professional printers. The layers on these are nearly imperceptible, so all this treatment would really do is cause the loss of detail. If you want a smoother or more shiny surface, you can order the part in the Detail material, or in a polished version of the Strong & Flexible material. It doesn't seem like it would really make the surface any more durable either, since it just kind-of melts whats already there. Using some kind of clear coat probably would work to make the surface more durable. There is actually a section of the shapeways forum about post-production processing discussion where there have probably been several threads about things like this.

http://www.shapeways.com/forum/index.php?t=thread&frm_id=95&

us Offline singleshot03

Reply #16 on: April 05, 2014, 11:28:54 PM
Old post but intersting and a choice of material for scales.  What would be the average material cost for a set of scales for an 84MM?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%