Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

sad swisstool photo

carl · 40 · 6213

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: sad swisstool photo
Reply #30 on: April 22, 2008, 11:42:05 PM
You are visiting me this weekend, right? :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Mike D

Reply #31 on: April 23, 2008, 03:00:24 AM
Like Dunc said, it's practically unheard of for a swisstool to fail, if it was an LM or a Gerber we'd think nothing of it (no, thats not a dig) I'd like to know how it happened too ???

I understand that all these jabs at Leatherman are in good fun. I own a Swisstool and a Spirit and like them both, but to think these tools are somehow bulletproof I will never believe. ANY tool can be broken if abused as evidenced by the pics in this thread. I also own more then a few Leatherman tools and in no way think they are somehow second rate to the Vic Muiti. I would also venture to say that you see more broken Leathermans simply based on sheer numbers sold more then inferior quality, hell I didn't even know Vic had a Multi tool before I stumbled onto this site.

us Offline NeitherExtreme

• No Life Club
  • Marsh-wiggle
Reply #32 on: April 23, 2008, 03:10:38 AM
I would also venture to say that you see more broken Leathermans simply based on sheer numbers sold more then inferior quality
I've wondered the same thing actuatlly... And I've also wondered if some folks (not all) would be more likely to abuse LMs than their more asthetically flattering Swiss counterparts. :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #33 on: April 23, 2008, 04:01:50 AM
I think both of the above points are correct. All funnin' aside, it would take some serious abuse to break a full-size Leatherman or SwissTool plier jaw.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline Mike D

Reply #34 on: April 23, 2008, 05:22:20 AM
I think both of the above points are correct. All funnin' aside, it would take some serious abuse to break a full-size Leatherman or SwissTool plier jaw.

I agree. I would bet most of these types of catastrophic breakages occur when the plier head is used to pry something with the jaw open, or from the side open.

It would be interesting to know just how much squeezing force the big tools like the Swisstool-Surge-Powerlock could endure before failure. The companies have to make these kinds of tests, I wonder where and how one could get a hold of such information.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 05:24:18 AM by Mike D »

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #35 on: April 23, 2008, 05:21:28 PM

I will agree on the "Abuse Factor".I was trying to cut a small bolt with my Original SuperTool.I was too lazy to take a walk to the garage.I was frustrated and tried using "Additional" pressure on the handles by applying my foot and 220lbs of weight to it.It was not one of my better ideas.My father just shook his head at my stupidity.

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #36 on: August 02, 2008, 12:27:53 AM
The LM's handles are a lot less comfortable to squeeze hard on.
(Sufficiently so that LM owners may be more likely to be wearing gloves, so they'd then have less tactile feedback if things were starting to give).

R

Offline AndyTiedye

• No Life Club
  • Ride the Music
Reply #37 on: August 02, 2008, 12:29:23 AM
Think the multitool.org testing labs could get donations from the manufacturers for some product testing?

R

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #38 on: August 02, 2008, 06:07:42 PM
If you guys go that route and want some EXTREME testing send them to me. I regularly have axle weights in the 20,000 pound range every night at work. I could do a drive over test. LOL Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #39 on: August 02, 2008, 10:52:50 PM
Wow, respect for the Sog!, now that is a cunning plan, Blackadder would be proud :D
Multitool.org,,,, the ultimate multitool ever created,,,,,,,,MACHIAVELLIAN INTRIGUE!!  ::)
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%