Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Wenger Mummy Bag- Fail.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Wenger Mummy Bag- Fail.
on: February 04, 2015, 01:58:44 AM
This is a throwback and more of a story than a product review.

The first sleeping bag I ever saved up for in the boyscouts was a Wenger Mummy Bag. Actually made by Wenzel but branded Wenger on the hood and bag.

Anyways its rated for 10°F with the fleece liner zipped in.
 Model ; WG10071
It's  32"x86", has a black removable fleece liner that zips in. A double drawstring head hole, essentially you can tighten it around your face and again around your shoulders.

And a bat-wing bottom. Synthetic flap over a fleece bottom essentially. Which allows you to keep your feet cool on warmer nights. or I would keep the next days clothes in it so they were warm in the morning.

Anyways, it cost me 96 bucks new.

First we had it out was Defuniak Springs Florida, at our local boy scout district camp "Euchee"

For northwest florida it had been a Cold winter. Lows in the 30s were expected so I figured it was time to upgrade.

Boy did I make the wrong choice. I got in, started to close the zipper; and snap. It seperated.

Luckily, this is a bag with the STUPID seperated zipper wings at the bottom. Like the bottom of a zipper on a jacket, you slide one side Into the closer, and it zips up.

So I tried again, and instead of seperating at the closer/handle/fob. It seperated in the zipper itself.

Needless to say I sucked it up and slept on top of the zipper that night.

Again, stupid me. It reached 11°F that night. So cold, that the Troop with us left and slept in the dining hall. And by the time we woke up, ALL OF our water supply had frozen solid except for a 2 gallon insulted jug filled with water we had boiled just before bed.

I contacted Wenzel and Wenger with no luck. They claim they don't cover anything zipper related, so I fixed it myself. JB weld. And some clothes pins. Done.

Works great now, does keep you fairly warm. However our synthetic army surplus bags are still much much warmer, and they were free!

Stock photos and repair are coming.

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Re: Wenger Mummy Bag- Fail.
Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 02:00:15 AM
Here is it in red. Looks good eh?

And it in blue.

And the "Klamerus" repair!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 02:45:56 AM
Nice rigging right there.

Nate

Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 06:14:49 PM
Sorry to hear the zipper failed in the worst possible moment. I have to ask though, why JB weld? I would have simply stitched up the zipper at that point and lower. I've done that on a few bags and items that had that problem. I think it would last longer than any substance you apply to the fabric and look nicer too.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 06:31:59 PM
JB Weld the "new" duct tape?

As you know the bag is a component of the total warmth you'll experience.  I have a bag rated at 30F but I can get down to colder temps with the right ground protection ( conduction protection ) and layers of clothing.

Stupid zippers I swear I go crazy sometimes with them.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline NKlamerus

• No Life Club
  • Captain's Apprentice
Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 10:08:10 PM
Sorry to hear the zipper failed in the worst possible moment. I have to ask though, why JB weld? I would have simply stitched up the zipper at that point and lower. I've done that on a few bags and items that had that problem. I think it would last longer than any substance you apply to the fabric and look nicer too.
The more I think about the more I think tried to sew it. I don't think it was strong enough to hold the zipper locked together when the bag was rolled and put away. The twisting and rolling just popped it loose under the threads.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%