Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Looking for a tiny BRIGHT flashlight

Offline bobofish

Looking for a tiny BRIGHT flashlight
on: December 09, 2006, 02:17:49 AM
Gents,
First let me start off with, I'm not a flashlight collector, nor do I want to be. No offense to any of you that do collect, but I have more crap than a constipated elephant, and I don't need to start any more collections. A divorce may be the likely result, as well as decayed sanity.

I am however looking for a very small flashlight, preferably with an LED (for brightness and efficiency). I've looked at the maglight minis (the tiny ones, maybe that's the wrong name) but I haven't found any LED bulbs for them...maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

I won't buy anything from China, and would prefer to stick to USA or Europe. Also, I don't want to break the bank. Preferably under $20 if possible.

I have enough big Mag's to use for general stuff, right now I'm looking for something really small that will serve me for "multitool" kind of situations. Ideally it will either fit in my Charge sheath, on my keychain, or in the watch pocket of my jeans.

I've seen some wicked cool LED lights geared around fishing at Sportsmans' shows, but it looks like I'm gonna be out of town for this year's big sportsman's show in town.

Reccommendations?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Looking for a tiny BRIGHT flashlight
Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 02:56:36 AM
Tim (Felinevet) has some AAA Victorinox LEDs on sale this week that might fit the bill for you.  Contact him at felinevet@sosakonline.com or check his store at www.felinevet.sosakonline.com for details.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: December 09, 2006, 06:09:47 AM
An outfit called Terra Lux makes a replacement LED kit for the Mag Solitaire , and the aaa minimag . They are great quality .

The Arc AAA-P is a great , and very tuff single AAA  LED lite , and US made .

An outfit called Fenix ( Chinese ) makes some nice single AAA , and doublw AAA lites .

Personally , I would pick the ARC , bullet proof quality , 5 hours semi regulated runtime . I'll post some pics of mine when I get my Camera  dusted off .

The Terra Lux route would cost you a fair bit unless you already own , a Solitaire.

YMMV,

Chris

Offline colubrid

Reply #3 on: December 09, 2006, 06:13:49 AM
Backing up what Styerman said about the Arc AAA. For what you are looking for the best combo of brightness, runtime, size and it takes a common AAA battery and not one of those expensive batteries that most Flashlight have.

A far second would be one of the Fenix flashlights. I like them and the price can't be beat.

For insane stupid brightness combined small size get a RAW NS.
Pretty light but takes expensive CR2 batter and short runtime.

Ih and stay away from anything maglight. The ARc is also made here in the good old USA. Get the Plus P version if you decide to get one.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2006, 06:16:31 AM by colubrid »

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #4 on: December 09, 2006, 06:23:53 AM
I definately agree on both the Fenix and the ARC... the Fenix is made in China though.

The ARC is made in Arizona. 

Pricewise I think they are both $30 to $40.  You can also do your own Mag Solitaire mods.  I've done a few and they are really easy to do.
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/mods/solitaire.htm
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/mods/solitaire2.htm
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #5 on: December 09, 2006, 06:50:43 AM

Ih and stay away from anything maglight.

Any reason in particular?
[

Offline colubrid

Reply #6 on: December 09, 2006, 11:29:10 PM
Maglights are just the most avaliabale flashlight to the average joe. Most people don't know flashlight technology and how far maglight is behind.

But they can be modded as 665ae suggested above.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/index.php?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 11:34:46 PM
I agree they are pretty far behind in technology, but the new LED Mags are supposed to be pretty good.  Also, with all the Mags I have had and still have, I can say they are rock solid and relaible, and certainly worth the money.

Especially with the conversion kits available, they are excellent value.  Plus, they don't take fancy batteries like many other small lights, which is a bonus to me.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline colubrid

Reply #8 on: December 10, 2006, 06:02:53 AM
I don't know about that Def. For flashaholics they are the bottom of the rung in whats out there for flaslights. I can think of 100 flashlights that are way better and cheaper. They also hold up just as well and take the common batteries. Now their is a whole following of people who just like to mod the maglights (and they make great hosts) but still you can get some incredible flashlights for a lot less money.

Here is a good one for. Thing has incredible throw and is priced at 1/4 of the price of a modded maglight with similar throw.

$21.95 shipped

http://www.ledbeam.com/

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #9 on: December 10, 2006, 06:54:18 AM
I received a Vic 2AAA LED flashlight today from Tim.  I have to say, I'm somewhat disappointed in the light.  It's puts out a decent amount of light.  But, it's very blue, and when you shine it on the wall, you can see the bond wires in the corona.  (I think the center of the beam is called the corona :) )

Construction quality wise, it's very nice.  It's what you would expect from Vic.  I just wish they had used different LED's...

« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 06:56:19 AM by 665ae »
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: December 10, 2006, 01:32:14 PM
I don't know about that Def. For flashaholics they are the bottom of the rung in whats out there for flaslights. I can think of 100 flashlights that are way better and cheaper. They also hold up just as well and take the common batteries. Now their is a whole following of people who just like to mod the maglights (and they make great hosts) but still you can get some incredible flashlights for a lot less money.

Here is a good one for. Thing has incredible throw and is priced at 1/4 of the price of a modded maglight with similar throw.

$21.95 shipped

You have a point there, but I'd like to also point out that for many years, serious knifers said the exact same thing about SAKs, and now look at SOSAK.  It's one of the biggest knife enthusiast groups to be found anywhere!  Serious knifers also said the same thing about multitools, and Multitool.org is showing them up as well!

Personally I always have, and always will be a fan of Mag Lights.  They are rock solid and reliable, and can be found almost anywhere, and even better, spare parts can be located in just about any store.  That's worth something right there!  They may not be as advanced as many other, newer lights, but they work and I've been counting on them (and using lights extensively) for at least 15 years now.

Of course, that's not to say that I don't appreciate any newer lights though.  And, I wish Mag would come out with some nice compact lights as well, but I am guessing they will with time.  After all, look how long we had to wait for Victorinox to come out with lights, one handed opening or even multitools.

Tradition for it's own sake often impedes progress, but companies like Mag and Victorinox recognize that something only becomes tradition if it stays around long enough in the first place to be repeated.

Def

Offline colubrid

Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 03:15:00 PM

$21.95 shipped

You have a point there, but I'd like to also point out that for many years, serious knifers said the exact same thing about SAKs, and now look at SOSAK.  It's one of the biggest knife enthusiast groups to be found anywhere!  Serious knifers also said the same thing about multitools, and Multitool.org is showing them up as well!

Personally I always have, and always will be a fan of Mag Lights.  They are rock solid and reliable, and can be found almost anywhere, and even better, spare parts can be located in just about any store.  That's worth something right there!  They may not be as advanced as many other, newer lights, but they work and I've been counting on them (and using lights extensively) for at least 15 years now.

Of course, that's not to say that I don't appreciate any newer lights though.  And, I wish Mag would come out with some nice compact lights as well, but I am guessing they will with time.  After all, look how long we had to wait for Victorinox to come out with lights, one handed opening or even multitools.

Tradition for it's own sake often impedes progress, but companies like Mag and Victorinox recognize that something only becomes tradition if it stays around long enough in the first place to be repeated.

Def

Persoanlly I don't think you can compare one company to another based on the Vic comparison.

Get the Ledbeam. Its a steal and $21.95 SHIPPED. Makes a nice Christmas present to yourself. You will be amazed at the beam.

Taken from their site:
The LEDBEAM utilizes the most state of the art, advanced and powerful 3 watt LED on the market. The 3 watt Luxeon® III Emitter produces an astounding 65-80 lumens of light intensity resulting in a pure white and extremely intense beam of light which can project over 250 feet. The LEDBEAM is typically 5 to 20 times brighter than conventional flashlights and LED flashlights using conventional LED technology.

The LEDBEAM uses 3 C Cell batteries. The solid state technology used in the 3 watt Luxeon® III Emitter also results in a light source far more energy efficient than conventional incandescent and LED flashlights. When used with the LEDBEAM, 3 C Cell batteries, depending on the quality of the battery, will typically last over 25 hours compared to 5 to 7 hours for conventional flashlights

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 03:53:13 PM
The only problem with the LEDBEAM is that in the original post, he was looking for a "small" flashlight.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: December 10, 2006, 03:55:40 PM
You are right- we are getting somewhat off track there!

Colubrid- we should continue this in another thread, but I think we are argueing the same thing.  You are saying other lights are superior to Mags, and you are right.  All I was saying was that Mags are really not all that bad, and certainly shouldn't be avoided. 

Def

Offline colubrid

Reply #14 on: December 10, 2006, 11:14:16 PM
Here are some small lights that you should look into:

McLux PD (the king of small lights. Cost a small fortune too)

Fenix L1P (this one will get you hooked on flashlights)

ARC AAA- ( my reccomendation)

Streamlight PP LUX 4 AA (not a small light but great runtime and great brightness. Still fits in pocket though.)

ORB RAW (very smal, very brightl bright, very short runtime)

Surefire E2e (I don't really care for surefires but if you had to choose a classic this is one)

Gerber or CMG Infinity Ultra (discontinued old style only) Loooooooong runtime. Built like a tank.

Most of the above are also water proof with the exception of the RAW. Some can even be used for diving at night at pretty deep depths. I just like to let the kids play with them in the pool at night.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 11:21:34 PM by colubrid »

us Offline CacherX4

Reply #15 on: December 11, 2006, 03:44:45 AM
My reccomendation is along with Colubrid, get the ARC-P AAA. Mine has a hint of purple hue to the light, but nothing to shun you away from it.  It is smaller and TONS brighter than the Mag solitaire and fits nicely on your keychain.  I carried the Mag solitaire around for years but will never go back to it now.

http://216.71.117.133/arc-aaa.shtml

Offline bobofish

Reply #16 on: December 12, 2006, 09:08:23 PM
Thanks boys, looks like I'll be spending some money soon. I bought a solitaire a few days ago, and for what it is it sure is a fantastic little bugger. But in a couple 3 weeks, I'll certainly follow your advice. Gotta go drive 1000 miles now.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #17 on: December 19, 2006, 09:21:00 PM
Here are some small lights that you should look into:

Gerber or CMG Infinity Ultra (discontinued old style only) Loooooooong runtime. Built like a tank.

Why not the new version?  Yes, the build quality is not quite as robust, but it's much brighter with the new Nichia CS, and the runtime has actually improved.  Mine runs easily over 40 hours with very useable light on a simple alkaline battery (MUCH longer with "dim" light).  Other benefits include the ability to tailstand and momentary-on operation.
- Terry

Offline plowboy

Reply #18 on: December 20, 2006, 12:57:16 AM
I didn't see Inova mentioned.  They are USA made and the X1 is a great small light that comes in around $20.  Inova has a range of flashlights...IMO all very good and not as expensive as Surefire.

Steamlight also has a small light in the $20 range, but it is made in China.

I don't have an ARC, but I want one...maybe someday.

Try Inova...I think you will like their lights.

Offline Toolcacher

Reply #19 on: January 13, 2007, 03:49:12 AM
If you want a really bright small light, this it it.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_p1d.htm

I've got one and it's great!

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: January 13, 2007, 04:32:53 AM
Sweet!
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #21 on: January 13, 2007, 06:41:34 AM
The Fenix lights are very good.  One of my buddies owns just about every one they've made over the last couple years and he loves them all.

us Offline Splat

Reply #22 on: January 13, 2007, 07:30:45 PM
I guess I'm the only idiot who doesn't like twist-head switched torches. Why? Because when I did have one I always kept engaging the switch when it was in its sheath on my side. Then when you -really- need it to work...   :o ???  :(
Splat

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #23 on: January 13, 2007, 07:52:04 PM
I guess I'm the only idiot who doesn't like twist-head switched torches....

Twisty switches are difficult to operate with cold or arthritic fingers.
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

us Offline 665ae

• No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #24 on: January 13, 2007, 11:43:15 PM
I guess I'm the only idiot who doesn't like twist-head switched torches. Why? Because when I did have one I always kept engaging the switch when it was in its sheath on my side. Then when you -really- need it to work...   :o ???  :(

I agree.  I tend to stick with the tailcap switches.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: January 14, 2007, 12:37:38 AM
I like clicky caps too... or Mag style switches.  I don't care for twisty heads or tails either.

Def

Offline dcohalla@sbcgobal.net

Reply #26 on: March 23, 2007, 05:24:00 AM
I didn't see Inova mentioned.  They are USA made and the X1 is a great small light that comes in around $20.  Inova has a range of flashlights...IMO all very good and not as expensive as Surefire.

Steamlight also has a small light in the $20 range, but it is made in China.

I don't have an ARC, but I want one...maybe someday.

Try Inova...I think you will like their lights.

AND....the Inova's are available at Target stores in the USA.  The new X1 has a much more diffuse beam, but still a good light.  The original had such a tight circular spot that it was dangerous to use it to walk with because  you couldn't see anything outside of the spot...had NO spill to speak of.  :o

us Offline Gryffin

• Multi-Talented
Reply #27 on: March 24, 2007, 04:04:37 AM
I am however looking for a very small flashlight, preferably with an LED (for brightness and efficiency). I've looked at the maglight minis (the tiny ones, maybe that's the wrong name) but I haven't found any LED bulbs for them...maybe I haven't looked hard enough.

I won't buy anything from China, and would prefer to stick to USA or Europe. Also, I don't want to break the bank. Preferably under $20 if possible.

Yeah, sounds like you mean the MagLite Solitaire. Nice and small, but nearly useless output. You can do better!

The Fenix lights are excellent, but made in China. The Arc has already been discussed in depth.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned PeakLED. Their Matterhorn (http://www.peakledsolutions.net/Products/Matterhorn.html) is a good choice, especially the 3-LED Ultra Power version, and it's available in brass, if that's your thing, or stainless steel, for the ultimate in bomb-proof ruggedness. And made in the good ol' U. S. of A.

Dorcy used to make a great 1W AAA light, but they changed the optics so there's no sidespill at all, so I'd avoid it.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #28 on: March 24, 2007, 06:56:35 AM
I love Peak.  I have several Peak models, and the McKinley and Caribbean are a couple of my all-time favorites.

But, if I were shopping for a tiny bright light I would definitely invest in a Fenix LOD-CE.  It will BLOW AWAY any other AAA light available.  The Matterhorn and ARC AAA-P are in a completely different league.

See the FLR review here: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/fenix_l0dce.htm
- Terry

Offline dcohalla@sbcgobal.net

Reply #29 on: March 24, 2007, 08:20:11 AM
Wow...that Fenix looks like a real sleeper!!  Hmmmm...and it's priced at about what I paid for my Arc AAA-P. (which is a great little light in it's own right--but as you said, appears to be of a whole 'nother gender than the Fenix)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%