Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swiss Bianco Yeoman

Kid33 · 76 · 12313

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Re: Swiss Bianco Yeoman
Reply #60 on: June 13, 2013, 02:11:21 PM
I don't know if Syph007 was right when he wrote " If it is a mis match then thats a factory error in the parts transition."
The factory model is a Spartan Lite I bought from the States thru Ebay  . It could be old stock .
The Explorer was bought here in Israel a year or so ago. I checked out Explorers in two stores this week. Both stores have a high turn around of SAKs.
In one store the Phillips opened smoothly all the way.
In the second store it had the weird clicking  "step" between half and fully open that Kid33 mentions.
Can't understand why 6 years after "the transition" there are parts still mismatched.
Maybe Syph007 can ask SwissBianco (Roger) about the parts that he used then and now?
The transition talked about here is a newer one, actually just done. This is -not- the one where the magglass changed, too.
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

il Offline Shalom

Reply #61 on: June 13, 2013, 05:30:23 PM
I don't know if Syph007 was right when he wrote " If it is a mis match then thats a factory error in the parts transition."
The factory model is a Spartan Lite I bought from the States thru Ebay  . It could be old stock .
The Explorer was bought here in Israel a year or so ago. I checked out Explorers in two stores this week. Both stores have a high turn around of SAKs.
In the second store it had the weird clicking  "step" between half and fully open that Kid33 mentions.
Can't understand why 6 years after "the transition" there are parts still mismatched.
Maybe Syph007 can ask SwissBianco (Roger) about the parts that he used then and now?
The transition talked about here is a newer one, actually just done. This is -not- the one where the magglass changed, too.
Thank you for explaining that, bmot. I didn't know that the transition was a more recent one.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
Reply #62 on: June 13, 2013, 06:16:35 PM
Thank you for explaining that, bmot. I didn't know that the transition was a more recent one.
In this thread: [size=78%]http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,45331.0.html[/size] You can find the differences in the last new design. Of course, the one you were talking about is real, too ;) That's where the put the new plastic mag glass in, and the shorter phillips. This is a much smaller change. Hope this was helpful  :salute:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

il Offline Shalom

Reply #63 on: June 13, 2013, 06:50:21 PM
It is VERY helpful.
If you come to Jerusalem, dinner is on me.
(Syph007 is invited also , of course.)  :drink:

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
Reply #64 on: June 13, 2013, 07:46:50 PM
It is VERY helpful.
If you come to Jerusalem, dinner is on me.
(Syph007 is invited also , of course.)  :drink:

I'll hold you to that  :salute: :tu:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #65 on: June 13, 2013, 11:44:22 PM
So this years MTo Meet up is in Jerusalem?!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline Kid33

Reply #66 on: June 14, 2013, 01:09:24 AM
I wrote to Swiss B and sent the Video and here is the reply I got.   

"hello,

i dont see that yours is different from the others, its checked at the factory

thanks" 

+B

A wise man speaks few words

Offline Maccabeus

Reply #67 on: June 14, 2013, 04:16:20 AM

"hello,
thanks" 
+B

That's a disappointing response. Does he mean yours doesn't look different from the others in the video? (Because they sure look different to me). Or does he mean it doesn't look different from other SwissBianco Yeomans? (Which also seems false because I'm holding one and it opens normally like your other knives).

us Offline stax

Reply #68 on: June 14, 2013, 05:04:20 AM
I'll ironically point out that Im currently re-building that lockback mod (im doing hard anodized alox scales on it with brass liners) at the request of Victorinox USA.  They offered to compensate me for my time and materials.... so... us dirty modders have our uses.

Nice to see your work getting that recognition from Vic.

us Offline metasyntax

Reply #69 on: June 15, 2013, 02:35:58 PM
I have a factory Explorer with the newer magnifier in plastic and a SwissBianco Yeoman also with the newer magnifier.
Both have that "not smooth extra clicking between half and full open, and the backspring lift very little" that Kid33 is asking about.
On all my SAKs with the old style magnifier models  the Phillips opens smoothly till 90 degrees and continues smoothly from there till fully open.
So it may not be just SwissBianco.
Does everyone's factory Explorer (new magnifier ) have a smooth opening Phillips from half to full open ?

I checked two Explorers and a Champion last night, all of them bought factory new in the last year (but not within the last couple months), and all of them have the little hangup before it's fully open. An old Hoffritz Champion with the old magnifying glass, however, is smooth all the way 'round. So your results are consistent with mine.
May it be as the Pattern has chosen.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #70 on: June 15, 2013, 03:36:18 PM

"hello,

thanks" 

+B

Huumm....not particularly helpful.  Given that Roger very likely didn't in fact put together your Yeoman, I think you might be best cutting him out of the equation altogether and sending your question directly to Victorinox themselves.  I know it sure doesn't look right to me, whatever Rodger says.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #71 on: June 15, 2013, 04:12:43 PM

"hello,

thanks" 

+B

Huumm....not particularly helpful.  Given that Roger very likely didn't in fact put together your Yeoman, I think you might be best cutting him out of the equation altogether and sending your question directly to Victorinox themselves.  I know it sure doesn't look right to me, whatever Rodger says.

Yep, since it's Victorinox assembled, it has a Victorinox warranty still.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

il Offline Shalom

Reply #72 on: June 15, 2013, 09:05:52 PM
I took apart a factory Explorer that has the "extra" click - stop between the half and full open position of the Phillips. Attached is a photo of the backspring and Phillips.
It is the short Phillips with the Plastic Magnifier in the earlier configuration . ( I just learned that Syph007 reported a newer configuration).
From the picture one can see that at the bottom of the Phillips there is a corner at an oblique angle (marked "a") and after it, a touch higher up in the photo a second corner (marked "b").
Seems to me that as the Phillips rotates from the half open position toward fully open corner "a" very slightly presses the backspring outward (much less than newer models or the old long Phillips models) and the backspring returns after corner "b" has passed .It now rests on the flat between "a" and "b". This gives the feeling of a semi stop.
Don't know if this occurs in all the Vics with the plastic magnifier and short Phillips set of the earlier configuration , but it is a factory design.
 Of course I'll buy an Explorer with the newest configuration to replace the one I disassembled.  :D
Mag-Phi.jpg
* Mag-Phi.jpg (Filesize: 323.59 KB)
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 09:14:02 PM by Shalom »

us Offline Kid33

Reply #73 on: June 16, 2013, 11:22:41 PM
Hey Gang,
              I appreciate all the info being provided and the interest in the thread.   I think I am going to write Victorinox and see if they can replace to a smooth version of parts for my yeoman Mechanic.  Although the feel is weird, I wonder if it makes any difference in the longevity or performance?  It may not even be worth bothering about.

Roger's lack of communication  and his customer service for the 80 dollars I spent did leave me feeling just a little un-important.   I do like the Knife however and would buy again. 
A wise man speaks few words

Offline hiljentaa

Reply #74 on: June 17, 2013, 12:21:32 AM
Roger's lack of communication  and his customer service for the 80 dollars I spent did leave me feeling just a little un-important.

His response made me less willing to patronize his business...

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #75 on: June 17, 2013, 01:39:46 AM
It could be a mixture of old and new parts, I have not followed the thread intensly, but maybe this was their first attampt to make the phillips less likely to accidently close?  I'm not really sure it's worth worrying about; I thought it was intentional, but it could be the result of mixing different generation parts.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%