Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

MTO 7th Anniversary Giveaway List

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Re: MTO 7th Anniversary Giveaway List
Reply #30 on: July 22, 2013, 11:33:37 PM
I just want to thank everyone involved with these give aways.

Thanks to Multitool.org and all of it's staff.

Thank you to those who did their own giveaways

thank you to the people who won and turned around and did their own "pay it forward"

thank you to the companies that provided items for the site to give away, (leatherman, SOG, etc)

thank you to the members of the forum who stayed polite and even congratulated those who one, as well as thanking those who gave the item away.

No where else on the internet will you find this type of camaraderie.

I am glad to be a member here, I am proud to be a charter member (this place deserves it)  and I hope to donate to the operational funds every month,  the site deserves it, and the give away provides just enough hopefulness to make it through the rough days.  win or lose, the drawings are great.
If I can help, let me know 

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #31 on: July 23, 2013, 01:34:14 AM
I have only one response to your post.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline detron

Reply #32 on: July 23, 2013, 02:05:39 AM
That is how I feel about this community,  but thank you for replying.
do you know how nice it was to not be treated like a n00b when I got here?  not to mention how people who have collections that will be considered museums one day will have the kindness to say "nice collection" or "that is a good start"

this place is amazing!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #33 on: July 24, 2013, 03:21:58 PM
Well, that wasn't entirely done on purpose.  You see, believe it or not, there really is only a finite number of jackasses on the 'net, and by the time MTO came along, all of the jackasses were spoken for by other forums, and sadly none were available in our price range.

I thought, that with time we'd either be able to lure some of those jackasses away from other forums with small pieces of candy, or instead, manufacture our own jackass simulator device so that we could get that real, authentic forum feel where new people are treated like garbage, the mods abuse power and the guy with the most expensive toys wins but we've failed miserably.  I was wrong, and for that I apologize.

:whistle:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline detron

Reply #34 on: July 24, 2013, 03:44:38 PM
Well, that wasn't entirely done on purpose.  You see, believe it or not, there really is only a finite number of jackasses on the 'net, and by the time MTO came along, all of the jackasses were spoken for by other forums, and sadly none were available in our price range.

I thought, that with time we'd either be able to lure some of those jackasses away from other forums with small pieces of candy, or instead, manufacture our own jackass simulator device so that we could get that real, authentic forum feel where new people are treated like garbage, the mods abuse power and the guy with the most expensive toys wins but we've failed miserably.  I was wrong, and for that I apologize.

:whistle:

Def

Awesome!   That was an amazing read

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #35 on: July 24, 2013, 04:10:31 PM
You can't take things too seriously- no one gets out alive anyway, so you might as well enjoy the ride.

A friend of mine is the former owner of one of the big name knife forums- I won't say which one, but I'm pretty certain just about everyone here will know what I am talking about.  In the early days before he purchased it from the folks who started it he was just another guy who wanted to talk about knives, and that was great.  After the other guys decided to bail out he picked the site up and of course put his personal touch on things.  The more he got into running the business, the less time he had to talk about knives.  The knives he did get to talk about were official reviews of this and that as they were sent to him by various manufacturers great and small, and even his enjoyment of them became formalized.  And, he spent less and less time posting on the forum and enjoying himself.  Members saw less and less of him until he was eventually one of those guys no one talked to as he was several layers removed from the community.

I never want that to happen.  I enjoy this place, and I enjoy being my not so serious self.  I like to laugh at things, I enjoy being wrong and I love playing with new toys.  My plan has always been for this place to enhance my hobbies rather than corrupt them, and if that ever changes and I can't get it back on track then the place will go up for sale and I'll go and do something else.  A large part of my enjoyment is seeing other people enjoy it too- let's face it, a collection is a hobby and a hobby is something you do to relax.  If you get stressed over a hobby then you are doing it wrong.

There are also a lot of guys that think owning a website is some kind of special thing and that makes them important.  I never look at this as an ego trip- I mean what is it, like $1.99 to register a domain, something like $20/mth for a decent, basic bit of server space?  How does having $22 make me special?  Heck, the software we use is Open Source, which means it's free, so how does this make me any more important than anyone else?  Simple.  It doesn't.  And, I'm proud to be one of the guys.  I make stupid comments, I laugh and I'm proven wrong openly (although maybe a little more often than I'm entirely comfortable with!  :P) and life goes on for all of us.

In the end, I get a kick out of how much other people also seem to like what this place has become.  I do feel proud that people like it, but not a "look what I did" way, but more of a "look what we have all done together" sort of way.  It sounds like some kind of trite Oscar acceptance speech, but the fact is that every person who has posted on this site has contributed to making this place what it is, whether you have one post or tens of thousands like some of us yappy buggers.   ::)

Def

us Offline detron

Reply #36 on: July 24, 2013, 04:37:32 PM
Very true,   and a big thumbs up for open source!   I am a huge open source advocate

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #37 on: July 24, 2013, 04:48:30 PM
I am too, but largely because it's free and I'm half Scottish!  :P

Def

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #38 on: July 24, 2013, 05:54:24 PM
As they say, "free is for me"

sent from Ducttapetech's mobile device

Nate

SEND IT!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #39 on: July 24, 2013, 06:46:51 PM
Well, you know how they invented copper wire, don't you?  Two Scotsmen found the same penny at the same time!   :ahhh

Def

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #40 on: July 25, 2013, 02:41:27 AM
hahaha...and they fought over it? both pulling in different directions?
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

us Offline detron

Reply #41 on: July 25, 2013, 03:13:36 AM
though that is a great benefit of Open source, another is the fact you can easily edit the source code to make what you want/need.  also, since the source code is visible people around the globe can find issues, bugs, or bottlenecks and inform the community.  much faster corrections and improvements.

not to mention how quickly the community pumps out new features

new version of Windows, every 3 - 5 years, 

Linux (my preferred distro Linux Mint ) has a new version every 6 months.  and works OK with 512Mb Ram
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 03:39:05 AM by detron »

us Offline Blackbeard

• No Life Club
  • One Day Closer To Death
Reply #42 on: July 25, 2013, 10:51:41 AM
You see, believe it or not, there really is only a finite number of jackasses on the 'net,

You left off the IN

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #43 on: August 03, 2013, 04:55:20 AM
And we have our last winner this year. So now the 7th anniversary giveaways are officially over.

Thanks to all who played, hosted their own giveaways, ... and to all the companies who provided the prizes. :salute:

And again congrats to all the winners. :cheers:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #44 on: August 03, 2013, 02:37:49 PM
And we have our last winner this year. So now the 7th anniversary giveaways are officially over.

Thanks to all who played, hosted their own giveaways, ... and to all the companies who provided the prizes. :salute:

And again congrats to all the winners. :cheers:
well said.  :tu:
Nate

SEND IT!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85