Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CRKT Eat'n Tool XL- For Bigger Appetites!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
CRKT Eat'n Tool XL- For Bigger Appetites!
on: June 05, 2013, 11:45:36 PM
I picked up an Eat'n Tool XL last week, and while this may not exactly be eating in the backwoods, I did make some canned stew to try it out.

One of the big changes over the standard Eat'n Tool is that the XL has a can opener (among other things!) while the Eat'n Tool didn't.  I figured I'd better give it a shot on one of the few cans I have that isn't a pull top!

The XL latched onto the can and bit into it with authority.  I was impressed- it went at the can like the can had run over its grandma.

That seemed to be where the vendetta ended as it really didn't cut all that well, and I found myself putting a lot of effort into turning the can during the cuts to try and make it worthwhile.

And a fair bit of effort later...

I decided to see if it worked better left handed, and the only real improvement I found was that I got to change up the motion from one hand to the other.

In the end I managed to get the job done well enough, although the fact that the can opener was a little taller than the can meant I kept hitting the counter with it.  I guess I need to get bigger cans in the future!
  While the XL will work, I think I would much rather have a different can opener with me.  Of course, until they make a SAK with a spoon that isn't a plastic toy, this is about my only real option for having everything with me in one package.

I'd thought that I'd marked up the finish with the can, but there was barely a mark on it- not that a scratched tool is anything to cry about, but it was nice to see that the XL managed the job without getting marked up.

Now for the important part!

The longer neck on the XL was great for eating with- much more like using a regular eating utensil, although the thicker steel it is made from was noticeable in my mouth.  It sort of felt like I was eating off the end of a crowbar, but the thickness is necessary for some of the functions on it, like the wrench and can opener, so having a heavy spoon is a small price to pay.

All in all I like the XL- it's a bit larger and heavier than the standard Eat'n Tool but it does it's job well.  I tried the bottle opener a few days ago and it worked well, although for some reason all the pictures I took of that event are out of focus... :drink:

If you liked the original Eat'n Tool, you'll love the XL.  If you didn't like the old Eat'n Tool, you might like the XL, depending on why you didn't like the original.  :D :drink:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: CRKT Eat'n Tool XL- For Bigger Appetites!
Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 11:53:08 PM
I'm a big fan of the XL. Used it every day at work over Christmas to eat soup out of deep containers. Live permanently in my work bag.Just need to get a normal Eat'n'tool now!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 12:30:57 AM
I like the smaller one, but usually when I use it I'm out in the woods and eating something like a Mountain House freeze dried/reconstituted meal and I find the standard one kind of short for that.  I usually compensate for that but cutting the bag a few times while eating, but then that's more bag parts I have to keep track of to take with me.  Not a huge deal, but I'd hate to accidentally miss a chunk of bag and leave it in the woods.

I can see the XL being a lot handier for that.  The additional size and weight aren't important to me as I'm usually in my Jeep or kayak when using it since I have a bad foot and don't hike much anymore.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

tr Offline nervium

• Turkey National Medical Rescue Team
Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 05:20:42 PM
small one is better, it is important for me to carry it with carabiner on my belt.

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 10:52:18 PM
Do you need a bigger mouth to use the XL? :D
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 11:53:34 PM
Jokes aside, not, the spork part is really not bigger than the last one.  :D

Def

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 02:08:54 PM
Bigger spork is better spork!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_APoSfCYwU

tr Offline nervium

• Turkey National Medical Rescue Team
Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 05:24:22 PM
is there any international shipping sellers for this gadget ?

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 05:05:08 AM
    Can it be used as a tactical throwing weapon too? Shuri-Spork! 
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 11:25:50 AM
is there any international shipping sellers for this gadget ?

I am sure it wouldn't be too hard to find one on eBay. 

(Image removed from quote.)  Can it be used as a tactical throwing weapon too? Shuri-Spork!  (Image removed from quote.)

Everything can be used as a tactical throwing weapon if you try hard enough!  :D

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 07:17:58 PM
While playing with my camera earlier I snapped some comparison shots with the standard Eat'n Tool.

I like it when companies label the wrench sizes...

Also, the Eat'n Tool XL now live on top of my microwave as it's perhaps the best bottle opener in the house, which is nigh praise indeed when you see how many bottle openers I have!

I actually really like the Eat'n Tool XL.  It might not be as compact as the standard Eat'n Tool, but it actually performs pretty well all of the same functions more successfully, and then some.  There is only one more thing I'd like to see on this and that's a small package opener, similar to the cutter found on the KERT/Ring Tool, so you could slice open Mountain House or similar packaged foods while on the trail or in the woods.

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%