Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The GearPull: A Revolutionary Dangler

Gamble · 76 · 29539

us Offline Gamble

• gearpuller
The GearPull: A Revolutionary Dangler
on: June 18, 2013, 02:49:50 AM
Hi All, I'm so glag Grant created this forum for people like me!  I'm submitting this first post to introduce the GearPull, a dangler I recently designed.  Please reply with your thoughts and ideas!

Anyway, this isn't itself a multi-tool but I've been fooling around with the idea of Danglers, a.k.a. pocket hooks, hangers etc...

Compared to all other options, a Dangler offers the most rapid access to key chain and pocket sized gear unless the needed item is already in hand.   
For those who are  inclined to carry a large number of key chain size items the Dangler offers a way of keeping their pockets from getting bulky, uncomfortable,  disorganized, noisy, and stupid looking.  They can still be overloaded though, and it's on the operator to deny the compulsion to overload the clip...something most committed members of the edc community find hard to do, myself included.   Plus, an overloaded Dangler can pull your pocket cuff down, and still give you a visible lump, compromising your opsec ;-). ...but if one is disciplined enough to limit the number of items carried, I maintain the humble Dangler is still the best way to carry key chain sized gear you want to deploy in under 2 seconds.

Belt loop clips and caribiners are also a speedy option, but they are not for me.  Belt loops can fray and fail very early on.  I used to use a caribiner but the gatestay would always get snagged as I went to remove it from or attach it to the belt loop.  Although I know there are carabiners out there less prone to snagging, there is another  issue I have with this carry method;  Unless you have some kind of quick release on the items themselves you still need to remove the whole carabiner or at minimum open the gate to retrieve what you need, which becomes a two hand operation, not cool.
 Belt sheath carry is a good method, which I use for a pocket knife or Multitool, but in general belt sheaths aren't for key chain sized gear so they don't really factor into this topic beyond just a mention.  The only other comparable would be a pocket sheath.  But a nice leather one adds up to a lot of material and pretty much makes the pocket otherwise useless.  I guess for really fast access there is also neck carry but I will never like the feeling of having something around my neck so I don't even consider it.   So, After much careful thought I settled on the Dangler  as the ideal way to pocket  carry my smaller gear. 

The problem is that there isn't much out there... The p7 by Tec is a great, albeit tiny hook.  I own two of these.  One for my Quantum DD, and the other as a dedicated quick deploy pepper spray hanger in my bag.  I love these little Danglers, but I wanted to be able to carry more than one item comfortably at a time, so I modded one of mine to include the small copper hanger and cord pull pictured below.  The hanger allows up to three smaller keychain sized  items to sit side by side, flat against my leg rather than in a disorganized bunch, and the cord pull lets me whip it all out faster than otherwise possible.  On this tiny set up, removing the light, knife or battery capsule isn't necessary, which means less hardware overall, a good thing.  Even though its limited in size and utility, I really like this set up.  I also wanted to carry larger items in the same way, and started searching for the perfect Dangler, or atleast one I could modify....but ultimately I hit a dead end. 

I did find this brass pocket hook via Kaijin on Ebay.    It came with a big integral ring at the bottom which I cut down before drilling three 1/8" holes in it for split rings or mini gate clips etc..   I also drilled one at the top for a cord pull.  I like the results, but the fatal flaw with this one is the orientation of the hook vs. split ring attachments.   The three  seperate, level split rings provide for better organization,  but they are in line with, rather than perpendicular to the hook.  This design problem forces the hook to torque the cuff of my pants pocket when stowed there,  never really allowing the attached items to sit flat against the leg  while in the pocket. 

The two smaller Munroe danglers look really nice, but both  only have one attachment point.  The Mega offers two, but they are just about on top of each other.  All of the Munroes offer the right orientation in the attachment point/pocket hook relation ship that the brass one pictured above lacks.   Still, the Mega suffers from certain details which have kept me from buying.  I don't want a bottle opener, pry bar, hex wrench or any other integral gimmick on my Dangler!  (this rules out the Pickpocket too).  It's just my personal opinion, but I feel all those extras clutter up and so detract from the aesthetic qualities of the design while offering minimal additional utility.  Before finding my permanent solution I almost bought a Mega, but something didn't feel right and so I held out.

Frustrated,  I set out to make my own perfect Dangler!  This is what I came up with and I'm really happy with the results because for me,  it offers the best features of all those others I had become aware of or encountered while searching for the One.

Conditions affecting the design: The Dangler must be simple, beautiful, functional, versatile, light weight and low profile, allow for between 1&3  items to be carried comfortably and flat against the leg, have a pull tab at the top, and make customization fun.

I've been carrying it for about 3 months, changing the set up to test different things along the way . I know copper isn't for everyone but it's easy to cut and form with the tools I have on hand, and I personally love it as a "living" material which, like leather, looks better as it ages.  It's also anti microbial, which makes sense for something I fiddle with all day long.   
One of the remaining questions were the attachment points.  McGizmos add unwanted length and weight, but allow one to remove the items faster than threading them through a small split ring.  Conversely the split ring rides higher and allows for minimal hardware, making it as simple as possible.  In the end the little split rings won out because it wasn't important enough to me that these things be removable...and any way they ARE, it just takes a little bit longer than it otherwise would. The proto is cut by hand from 1/8" bar stock which makes it thick and strong, but its still light because I removed so much material.  That's what the holes are all bout; weight.  They also look good!    Copper split rings don't exist at this diameter (1/4" ID) so I ended up using brass, but I'll pick up some "copper finish" rings because I think that will make for a more appealing package over all.  The pic below is what it looks like today.  All I need now are the copper split rings, a copper trit bead for the pull and some copper scales on the SAK and that'll do it...well almost.

The truth is I got so obsessed with this project that my standards just kept going up the more I thought about it.  So I decided I wanted to take this to the next level of quality.  The proto pictured above is a little rough.  It's not perfectly symmetrical, the counter sinks on the holes are choppy, the spacing between the holes is far from perfect.  There is a lot to love but if I'm doing these by hand there is no way to get them just how I want, and it takes forever.  Next step: auto cad and water jet.

Above is the final drawing!  It's 85% the same as the proto but with a lot of cosmetic improvements and one big change at the bottom; 5 attachment points instead of three.  My thinking is that three is still the ideal, but with skinnier items like the Valiant Concepts pen or the Tec Inchworm, 5 will fit no problem.  I had 4 samples cut; Copper, brass, German silver, & type2 pure Titanium.  Now I have different metals to suit my moods and match my gear, and loads of options to play with as I experiment with different set ups.  For me that's part of the pleasure of a Dangler.

So fast forward and here we are with the finished proto types.  I'm totally loving my personal one which you can see in copper in the last pic.  BTW, and I cleared this with Grant, I also want to mention that The GearPull is currently funding on Kickstarter:  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/872996112/the-gearpull-a-revolutionary-dangler for anyone who is interested.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: The GearPull: A Revolutionary Dangler
Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 03:14:13 AM
Welcome to the forum, Gamble. :cheers:

I was very glad when Grant said you were joining us. I remember seeing the prototype a month of two ago and loved the look of it. I agree completely about the benefits of a dangler and parallel carry of the items. Also an excellent write up on your thought process on making these and the variations that led you to the design. :tu:

I hope to have you as a member here for a long time to come.  :salute:

If you need any help here on the forum feel free to PM me and I'll do my best to help you out.

us Offline Gamble

• gearpuller
Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 03:44:02 AM
Many Thanks!  I'm happy to be here.

ca Offline jzmtl

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 03:59:09 AM
Looks nice! I too have the problem of things on a dangler bunch up and don't lay flat. Although personally I'd break off the piece that sticks up pass top of pocket, and makes it shorter (some pants/shorts have shallow pocket and longer items tend to bottom out).

ru Offline livan

Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 08:54:38 AM

something like this, but when painted, I saw even easier .....

ru Offline livan

Reply #5 on: June 18, 2013, 09:23:43 AM
well as multi-functional forgotten?

;)

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: June 18, 2013, 11:02:13 AM
You can't build springs and hex drivers in copper and German silver...

And that copper dangler is really good looking.  :drool:

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: June 18, 2013, 11:26:06 AM
Good to see you made it!

You have me thinking of all kinds of neat ways to customize one of these, and what to hang on it already!  In fact, I'm kind of thinking of using it on the deck line of my kayak to help secure other things to my boat, and inside the larger pockets of my Maxpedition Tactical Operator bag since there aren't really a lot of places for smaller items in it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: June 18, 2013, 11:56:18 AM
And now I have supported my first Kickstarter project. Nobody should say people on MT.o don't put their money where their mouth is. ;)

ru Offline livan

Reply #9 on: June 18, 2013, 11:59:05 AM

:drool:

I use a translator, and he sends bad playful tone. ... I joked drawing.

de Offline lowtech

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: June 18, 2013, 12:01:00 PM
Welcome to this nice Forum!
This is a project worth the R&D section.
I only carry a dangler for my keys, but maybe i could be tempted to try one like this for weekend carry of a slim SAk and an AAA light.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 12:06:14 PM

I use a translator, and he sends bad playful tone. ... I joked drawing.

:salute:  :tu:  (Easy to translate! ;) )

ru Offline livan

Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 12:51:17 PM
[/quote]

:salute:  :tu:  (Easy to translate! ;) )
[/quote]
of copper .... Two pockets on the right ........
:D
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 12:53:23 PM by livan »

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #13 on: June 18, 2013, 01:31:59 PM
First off, welcome to the forum Gamble. And second, that is so smurfing sweet! I love the copper one.

sent from Ducttapetech's mobile device

Nate

SEND IT!

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 02:54:12 PM
I dont have much useful to add, but I wanted to say those look sweet! Nice design.  :tu:
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #15 on: June 18, 2013, 02:59:33 PM
I'm very glad you joined us here... I have been admiring your work for a while now :cheers:

I think your level of obsession is paying off, and your work shows that. Really like what you're doing :tu:
It's a great idea with quite a wide array of uses and I'd probably be interested in one myself. Nice work sir!
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: June 18, 2013, 03:03:18 PM
Hmmm.... a Gear Pull and matching custom SAK....

I can't type any more... too much drool on the screen...

Def

Sent from the place I sent it from

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Gamble

• gearpuller
Reply #17 on: June 18, 2013, 05:20:10 PM
Livan-  your drawings are very cool.  I know its mostly just having fun but I really like the first one!

Jzmtl-The pull tab is optional, and because its so subjective its not included with the rewards in the campaign. And it's true that it works best with deeper pockets!

Steiner:  Thanks for your support!  Copper is my favorite too.

Lowtech:  that woul be perfect, you can read a full rev by everydaycommentary: http://www.everydaycommentary.com/2013/05/gearpull-review.html
 Tony ended up using it the same way.

Ducttapetech- thanks!  Another vote for copper!  We are in the minority as the Ti is really the big seller it seems, but copper is creeping up. :)

Syph:  Thanks!  I better get on that copper sak right away or Grant will beat me to it!! Did you ever find out about the one direction only opening action on the 58mm's?

Nuphoria: Thanks and its good to find you are a member here!

Grant: Thanks again for the opportunity!

gb Offline nuphoria

• Ambidangerous Mistress of Mod
  • Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not all bad, I'm just drawn that way.
Reply #18 on: June 18, 2013, 05:49:37 PM
They got hold of me years ago and never let me go :D

I'm a mod too, so if you need help with stuff just holla'
A dyslexic man walks in to a bra...

All my music for free: http://soundcloud.com/chrissyvandyke

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #19 on: June 18, 2013, 05:53:35 PM
This is a fanastic idea! And executed so well. I hesitate to say it for fear of sounding "unmanly", but its a very pretty piece to look at. :-[ Lol. I am kind of in a rush right now and just kind of breezed through the thread, but are these for sale? I would love to have one for my heavier pocket items.
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

us Offline Gamble

• gearpuller
Reply #20 on: June 18, 2013, 06:23:42 PM
Yes they are, Kickstarter link is towards the bottom of the first post.  Thanks for your encouragement!

ru Offline livan

Reply #21 on: June 18, 2013, 09:36:59 PM
Author let me make it idea for me? I want to spend 15 minutes to work. Silver spoon, cut, drill holes, and bend clip.
:drool: :drool:

us Offline Gamble

• gearpuller
Reply #22 on: June 19, 2013, 02:32:24 AM
 :D

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: June 19, 2013, 07:02:56 AM
Danglers aren't my cup of tea, but that is some great work you did there. Beautiful design, both aesthetically and functionally. Great job  :tu:

Offline Svadilfari

Reply #24 on: June 19, 2013, 09:24:48 AM
Just signed up for this..looks great. Happy to support innovation and good design :)

us Offline Gamble

• gearpuller
Reply #25 on: June 20, 2013, 12:06:50 AM
Thanks guys!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: June 20, 2013, 02:11:08 AM
Just signed up for this..looks great. Happy to support innovation and good design :)

Not to mention someone who supports the forum- look for the pretty new banner at the top of the page.  :D

Def

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #27 on: June 20, 2013, 02:34:41 AM

Not to mention someone who supports the forum- look for the pretty new banner at the top of the page.  :D

Def

:cheers: for Gamble.

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Reply #28 on: June 20, 2013, 05:27:30 AM
Danglers aren't my cup of tea, but that is some great work you did there. Beautiful design, both aesthetically and functionally. Great job  :tu:

My thoughts exactly.
Although I don't see myself using one I really like the looks and functionality of your invention :-)
By the way, copper wins :drool:
And good on you for taking time to get to know the community and participating in the forums :tu:
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

us Offline Gamble

• gearpuller
Reply #29 on: June 22, 2013, 03:54:43 PM
My pleasure and thanks for the kind words!  Convincing the non Dangler crowd they need one is one of my challenges. :) ...aesthetics are my most convincing argument so far.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%