Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone fancy a clip sheath?

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Anyone fancy a clip sheath?
on: April 26, 2008, 07:58:41 AM
It's only been in the past few months that I have begun carrying my multis in their sheaths on a regular basis. I like the out of the way nature and easy access the sheath has over pocket carry but never truly realized the advantages until recently.

In this vein I have been trying to figure out a way to carry in a sheath when I have no belt. One of the things about working in a hot kitchen all day if that you pretty much have to wear some kind of chef pants. For those lucky enough not to ever be paid to be in a kitchen, chef pants are kind of like pajama pants but more comfortable. Thin cotton, baggy and with a drawstring waist they do not lend themselves to the carry of heavier items. If I were to drop a multitool in my pocket it would bounce all over the place when I walked and fall out as soon as I sat down. These are problems.

Now, I know at the very least Victorinox makes a sheath with a clip on it but the problem with that model is that I don't own it and it costs money. So I have devised a way to add clipability to certain varieties of multi sheaths.

First and foremost, find a measuring tape with a clip on it. The clip is will probably be held on with a philips screw, a wonderful time to use your tool to remove it. Take the clip and bend the corners on the back side downward like below. Make sure the corners touch the other side of the clip, you may need to adjust accordingly for this to occur.

Then, using a long skinny screwdriver to keep the clip open slide it into the vertical belt loop on the sheath.

The claws you made will keep it in place and it is now ready to be clipped to wherever. I like to clip my to the waistband about 5 o'clock.

Of course, there are problems. This system managed a wicked busy dinner shift tonight without falling off or moving around at all but it is still not as secure as it could be. The sheath also tends to flop upwards when unbuttoning but a long clip may solve this, and I am fairly sure that long term use will damage the sheath since the teeth look like they abrade the nylon.

But it is not permanent and can be mounted/unmounted in seconds.

Better ideas? I have been thinking about bolts and screws and maybe adhesive but they are not as elegant as this solution. (Buy the damn Victorinox sheath does not count as a better idea.  ;))

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Anyone fancy a clip sheath?
Reply #1 on: April 27, 2008, 06:26:33 AM
Doesn't your clip on your Knifeless Fuse fit the bill or are the pants to thin and slick to hold onto tool ?  Have you looked at cell phone holders they probably wouldn't be as expensive as a MT sheath just a thought though :D they may not fit as good or feel as comfortable either ??? just hard to say man :ahhh

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: April 27, 2008, 03:15:39 PM
That looks like a very god idea. I think I may try that using some sort of adhesive.. I will fill you guys in on how it goes!
B

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008, 04:15:58 PM
If you've got a Dollar Store in your area check out their cell phone holders for nice clips.  The actual vinyl holders are usually garbage, but the clips are decent IMO.  Most are the spring loaded plastic type; like a big clothespin. 

BTW what tool is that you're trying to add a clip to?  It looks like a Gerber nylon sheath; but I don't remember then having a horizontal carry option... :think:
[

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 04:40:43 PM
Its a LM Wave premium sheath...  8)
B

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 08:00:02 PM
It's a Swisstool sheath.  8)

Doesn't your clip on your Knifeless Fuse fit the bill

It's a Knifeless Kick.  8)

:D

The Kick usually works, I clip it to my waistband and forget about it since it's so light and slim. But I've been carrying that tool for a fairly long time and was looking for a way to add some options to my EDC with putting out too much cash. Thanks for the cellphone holder suggestions, I'll check them out when I do my grocery shopping later this week.

Offline Leatherman123

Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 08:09:26 PM
I should have known from the red Victorinox logo under the flap!
B

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008, 03:18:58 AM
It's a Swisstool sheath.  8)

Doesn't your clip on your Knifeless Fuse fit the bill

It's a Knifeless Kick.  8)

:D

The Kick usually works, I clip it to my waistband and forget about it since it's so light and slim. But I've been carrying that tool for a fairly long time and was looking for a way to add some options to my EDC with putting out too much cash. Thanks for the cellphone holder suggestions, I'll check them out when I do my grocery shopping later this week.

Yeah sorry bout that I had just got through reading your thread about it and still typed the wrong thing in. Its all good though cause I love that mod :D just can't remember it's name :ahhh :D I am a little scattered sometimes :think:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 04:36:21 AM
So Spoon have you ever found a MT holder to your liking yet?

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #9 on: May 07, 2008, 05:16:51 AM
Not quite yet.

The sheath for the Rescue tool is pretty close, except it's yellow/red and doesn't take a regular multi very well. My ideal sheath would be low-riding, button closure and have the ability to accept a clip. I'm going to try out the Vic clip sheath and play around with modding some of my existing ones too.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: May 24, 2008, 12:04:19 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/LEATHERMAN-HOLSTER-WITH-CLIP-NO-BELT-LOOP_W0QQitemZ360053562881QQihZ023QQcategoryZ75236QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hey Spoon don't know how much you wanna spend here looks like something you might like from Ebay

:salute: :D

us Offline Smitty44

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: May 24, 2008, 12:41:49 AM
Good find Poncho65,I have been using cell phone holders with clips for awhile now,and they are wide enough that I carry a compact pen at the same time.

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 24, 2008, 11:12:47 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/LEATHERMAN-HOLSTER-WITH-CLIP-NO-BELT-LOOP_W0QQitemZ360053562881QQihZ023QQcategoryZ75236QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Hey Spoon don't know how much you wanna spend here looks like something you might like from Ebay

:salute: :D

Eww, is that a pancake sheath?

(Thanks for the link, I've got a similar one on the way to harvest the clip.  ;))

Offline Tarrodemierda

• No Life Club
  • Smells like tar and smoke.
Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 05:23:49 PM
why dont ya take some thread and needle and put couple stitces thru the clip and sheath ?

i use almost same kinda modification,i must take a pic. i used a clip from RAPALA fishing pliers sheath.although that sheath can hold very nicely an opened smaller multitool straight from factory.like squirt,pst1-frames,etc.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 05:33:18 PM by Tarrodemierda »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD