Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fake Swiss Army knife report list

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Re: Fake Swiss Army knife report list
Reply #480 on: January 17, 2019, 10:10:20 AM
Pah! Just got scammed on Marktplaats yesterday I think.

A Handyman I ordered didn't show up and communication with the seller was very slow and mainly on my incentive. Should have been a red flag.
Got a really lame excuse yesterday why the SAK didn't arrive. Felt like bullsmurf to me, but I called the postoffice just to make sure. I'm afraid I'll never see that SAK or my money back.
All that's left to do is press charges I'm afraid. Though I doubt that'll change anything for the better.
Better luck next time.
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #481 on: January 17, 2019, 10:49:44 AM
Hi Guys,

Really interesting discussion on fakes and also lots of great evolution and dating information here.

I agree wholeheartedly with Mechanical on what is a fake.
To me a fake is only a eg a Chinky SAK pretending to be Swiss SAK.

So what about the mods and repairs - whether by Vic or a modder - Is this a problem or issue? eg if sold on ebay.  ???
To me - for ths you have to consider the buyer
If I am just a Joe public wanting a SAK - it does not really matter - As I will just get a nice SAK - As long as price is OK
If I am a collector or expert I will spot the inconsistency and can make a decision about buy or not buy

And for inexperienced sellers - Many of them have very little knowledge of SAKs models and evolution - You can even see this in their descriptions and piccies Eg missing a saw in a piccie or description is surprisingly common.

What I would consider a fake is intentional deception ie a selller trying to sell something that it is not
eg Trying to pass off a 1990s SAK (or even later) as a vintage SAK worth loads of money - Sadly you do see this quite frequently.
Again a seasoned SAK fan or collector will spot this a mile off - So maybe no harm done ? ???
Or a modder creating a rare model and trying to pass it off as a genuine original - I guess that would be hard to spot.
And I guess does qualify as a fake!!

Anyway .......
Hey thanks for the mensh of the dating table El C    :cheers:
And this comment really made my day - It's really good to know it's being used and appeciated.
......, and have followed Huntsman's chart progression thread from near its beginning.
Thank you kamakiri ..... and welcome to the forum - And great first post/intro BTW   :tu:  :D
And I gotta say the level of knowledge and detail in some of your posts is way above the table     :salute:
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 12:46:01 PM by Huntsman »

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #482 on: January 17, 2019, 10:55:56 AM

That sucks!
You should seriously visit vicfan.com. All the hoopy froods are doing it.

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #483 on: January 17, 2019, 11:06:40 AM

A Handyman I ordered didn't show up and communication with the seller was very slow and mainly on my incentive. Should have been a red flag.
Got a really lame excuse yesterday why the SAK didn't arrive. Felt like bullsmurf to me, but I called the postoffice just to make sure. I'm afraid I'll never see that SAK or my money back.
All that's left to do is press charges I'm afraid. Though I doubt that'll change anything for the better.
Better luck next time.

That sucks!  :(

Who was the seller, if I may ask?

Happened to me a couple of years ago, paid for the SAK and immediately after that I got a message saying that the knife got damaged. Never got my money back and never even got a reply to any of my messages.

A week ago it happened again. Made an offer on a SAK, which quickly was accepted. SAK was never sent and never got any replies to my messages anymore. This time however I paid it using a service called "gelijk oversteken", which means that Marktplaats holds the money for seven days unless I claim that I didn't receive the knife. I made a claim. I expect the seller can't provide proof of delivery (never got a track&trace code), so this time I expect to get my money back :)
[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

nl Offline Mactire404

• There's a SAK for that!
Reply #484 on: January 17, 2019, 11:54:57 AM

Better luck next time.

That sucks!  :(

Who was the seller, if I may ask?

Happened to me a couple of years ago, paid for the SAK and immediately after that I got a message saying that the knife got damaged. Never got my money back and never even got a reply to any of my messages.

A week ago it happened again. Made an offer on a SAK, which quickly was accepted. SAK was never sent and never got any replies to my messages anymore. This time however I paid it using a service called "gelijk oversteken", which means that Marktplaats holds the money for seven days unless I claim that I didn't receive the knife. I made a claim. I expect the seller can't provide proof of delivery (never got a track&trace code), so this time I expect to get my money back :)

This is very interesting.
I'm willing to share the name and other data, but not on the open board. That could be considered slander.
And since I still hope to hear something, though mu gut says I won't.

I'll send you a PM.
My SAK collection and more: http://pocketknives.home.blog

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #485 on: January 17, 2019, 12:16:52 PM
Got scammed with a LM Charge once.

I pressed charges and the officer told me I'd hear the outcome. Even if they just canceled the case.

3 years later... NOTHING.

Learning money...

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #486 on: January 17, 2019, 12:19:59 PM
By the way, Cheers guys!

I'm not used to people agreeing with me :rofl:

:cheers:

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #487 on: January 17, 2019, 12:42:53 PM
I'm not used to people agreeing with me :rofl:

We're all pretending here because we feel sorry for you :P

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #488 on: January 17, 2019, 12:59:46 PM
Ah yes, that does happen sometimes :facepalm:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #489 on: January 17, 2019, 05:40:21 PM
Hi Guys,

Really interesting discussion on fakes and also lots of great evolution and dating information here.

I agree wholeheartedly with Mechanical on what is a fake.
To me a fake is only a eg a Chinky SAK pretending to be Swiss SAK.

So what about the mods and repairs - whether by Vic or a modder - Is this a problem or issue? eg if sold on ebay.  ???
To me - for ths you have to consider the buyer
If I am just a Joe public wanting a SAK - it does not really matter - As I will just get a nice SAK - As long as price is OK
If I am a collector or expert I will spot the inconsistency and can make a decision about buy or not buy

And for inexperienced sellers - Many of them have very little knowledge of SAKs models and evolution - You can even see this in their descriptions and piccies Eg missing a saw in a piccie or description is surprisingly common.

What I would consider a fake is intentional deception ie a selller trying to sell something that it is not
eg Trying to pass off a 1990s SAK (or even later) as a vintage SAK worth loads of money - Sadly you do see this quite frequently.
Again a seasoned SAK fan or collector will spot this a mile off - So maybe no harm done ? ???
Or a modder creating a rare model and trying to pass it off as a genuine original - I guess that would be hard to spot.
And I guess does qualify as a fake!!
Thanks Huntsman for your comments about my question. I wanted some feedback from the group on this issue since I am perfectly capable of creating mods and repairs that would be indistinguishable with (if I take my time) or without tear-down and make it correct looking just externally.  I have knives that are disassembled for repair, but wasn't sure if I wanted to bother restoring to 100% correct, or making 'obvious' mod/restoration that would be somewhat self-explanatory in pictures.
For example, I bought this back in June last year:

Disassembled it shortly after:

...and was going to restore it for my collection (blades and broken liners).

But while I was gathering liner donors, I found one in B+/A- condition and put the rest in a box and have been waffling about repairing and selling or making a 'fun' resto-mod that I'd keep. I've had trouble since, deciding how I'd list the knife if I ever decided to sell it. I've never sold a single knife before. I'd like to change that and not do anything that this community would not approve of.

I did find this thread on fakes after hitting buy-it-now on a 'Champion' for ~$9 thinking I was getting a steal. Had a real vic on the first picture and that's all I looked at when I pulled the trigger. Then I reviewed the rest of the pics.  :facepalm: I got lucky and the seller did cancel the order and refund my money.

Anyway .......
Hey thanks for the mensh of the dating table El C    :cheers:
And this comment really made my day - It's really good to know it's being used and appeciated.
......, and have followed Huntsman's chart progression thread from near its beginning.
Thank you kamakiri ..... and welcome to the forum - And great first post/intro BTW   :tu:  :D
And I gotta say the level of knowledge and detail in some of your posts is way above the table     :salute:

Many thanks for that, and please know I think your thread is key in shaking out much of the great info available here. :tu:  I have rough 'proof' that I've been reading it...When I read this post from El C there:

For my interests... Threads like this are exactly why I joined this forum. :salute:

I signed up immediately after I read that.  It rung true for me. How could I not sign up? So thanks to both of you for motivating me to take the first step almost a year ago. Glad to be a participating member now! :cheers: :salute:
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #490 on: January 17, 2019, 10:35:36 PM
Aha  ^^^

So your query is also about you being a seller and selling a restored SAK.

In that case if it were me - and it sounds like you would take a similar approach as an open and honest seller - I would have no hesitation in restoring the SAK to exactly how it should be as a standard model (ideally also aligning time periods of parts if possible) and posting it as a genuine Vic.
However in the comments I would just say the SAK had been restored. I would not list any details on this.
But that leaves an open door for any buyer to PM you to ask for details.
For me I would not offer PMs in the listing - the buyer could can decide independently if they wanted to, if they did, I would reply with full details

I would also offer a full refund if they were not happy - No questions asked - But they pay return postage.
Unless there has been a genuine problem/issue when I would also refund postage.
I would mention this in the listing.

Everything is above board, open and honest, with this approach
However I am sure that some sellers would leave out the restoration comment - And that is deceptive - Even if it is not a fake
« Last Edit: January 17, 2019, 11:46:57 PM by Huntsman »

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #491 on: January 17, 2019, 11:31:14 PM
Selling would be a small small small part of this issue to me.  I don't really like it, but I understand the caveat emptor when I buy things on the 'bay.  Just wouldn't want to do anything seemingly unethical with regard to this community.  I still expect my buying to greatly outweigh any selling activity by more than 10:1.

:cheers: Thanks for the selling/listing advice. I might be able to make use of it someday.  One trouble I have on that note is that I'd like to be able to openly sell modified knives too.  I'd have to wonder how much somebody would trust a shop that does both.
If this post has been helpful in dating your Swiss Army Knife, please consider making a small contribution to help keep SAKWiki going

us Offline El Corkscrew

Reply #492 on: January 18, 2019, 05:54:10 AM
 :salute:
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #493 on: February 06, 2019, 08:04:19 AM
Swedish Victorinox, made in China :facepalm:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/222498527803

Reply #494 on: February 06, 2019, 08:12:13 AM
 :rofl: oh boy  :facepalm:

^-- where the cat sits

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #495 on: February 06, 2019, 08:18:40 AM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/183449022630

The Brand keyword suggests these are Vics. Seller won't alter his listing :facepalm:

Reply #496 on: February 06, 2019, 09:17:47 AM

The Brand keyword suggests these are Vics. Seller won't alter his listing :facepalm:

Well, he does say they are "Vtg Swiss Army knockoffs"  ::)

^-- where the cat sits

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #497 on: February 06, 2019, 10:29:28 AM

But still he uses the Vic brand name. He won't change it though.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #498 on: February 06, 2019, 10:30:41 AM
Am I the only one seeing this?

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #499 on: February 06, 2019, 02:54:05 PM

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #500 on: February 06, 2019, 09:12:34 PM

Reporting to ebay has no effect
Sounds like challenging the seller is doing nothing either

However you can report him to Victorinox though - They protect their brand and usually take action!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #501 on: February 06, 2019, 10:10:13 PM

??? Dudes. I don't know what you're Smurfin' problem is. Those look: Just. Like. Mine.   ::)

Except for the shackle, of course!  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
s-l1600-2125.jpg
* s-l1600-2125.jpg (Filesize: 83.88 KB)

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #502 on: February 06, 2019, 10:57:59 PM
Yours is worse! Because two knives is better than one!

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #503 on: February 06, 2019, 11:23:00 PM
Yours is worse! Because two knives is better than one!
Well, that's for certain, Captain Obvious!  ::)  :pok: I'd pay double!

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #504 on: February 08, 2019, 05:57:34 AM
I think i just found one as well:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Cadet-Knife/264177855122?hash=item3d823a2a92%3Ag%3Ah0QAAOSw3RdblEYm&LH_Auction=1

Would be a nice loadout for a cadet. Corkscrew and miniscrewdriver looks weird as well. Not to mention that there is no Victorinox inscription on the blade or the shield on the scales.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #505 on: February 08, 2019, 06:51:24 AM
:facepalm:

us Offline kamakiri

• No Life Club
Reply #506 on: February 08, 2019, 07:00:20 AM
LOL.  :facepalm: Just like my '86-'87 Champs  ::)

I like #7 and #15, and #16:

s-l1600-5.jpg
* s-l1600-5.jpg (Filesize: 106.05 KB)

it Offline SirVicaLot

Reply #507 on: February 08, 2019, 07:05:11 AM
LOL.  :facepalm: Just like my '86-'87 Champs  ::)

I like #7 and #15, and #16:

I didn‘t even see those pictures. This is hilarious  :facepalm:

00 Offline Mechanickal

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #508 on: February 08, 2019, 07:56:29 AM
Oh come on.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.de%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292949931741
Actualy, Zwilling knives are great quality.

I once held one before knowing the brand and thought it was a promotional SAK. Perfect fit & finish, great lock-up.

nl Offline Reinier

• Zombie Apprentice
  • \o/
Reply #509 on: February 08, 2019, 08:35:21 AM
Oh come on.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.de%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292949931741
Actualy, Zwilling knives are great quality.

I once held one before knowing the brand and thought it was a promotional SAK. Perfect fit & finish, great lock-up.

Yes, but still.
Maybe but not a fake (some may disagree) but it's still misusing a brand name.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%