Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Swisstool, a right handed tool?

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
The Swisstool, a right handed tool?
on: April 26, 2008, 10:46:56 AM
So after viewing maybe one or two pictures on this forum I decided it was high time I stepped out of the stone age and acquired a full-size Swisstool. I've been carrying and using it for a few days and so far I like it a lot, not enough to take sexy pin-up pictures with it frolicking in the surf but well enough.  ;)

One thing I have noticed is that from a comfort perspective the handles appear to be designed to be used right-handed. Both sides of each handle are not equally as wide, the knife side is wider to accommodate the width of the blade and the stop on the tang. Although looking at it now the blade layout doesn't make sense for a rightie, wouldn't a right-handed person want the blade on the inside of the handle, toward their body instead of the other way around? Admittedly Victorinox does have some odd design cues, the left-handed liner lock on the OHT as a prime example.

Here's a picture, note how the raised portion of the right handle rests on the pad of the palm, a nice soft spot that can take a lot of pressure before any pain is felt. The raised portion of the left handle rests on the middle joint of the fingers, closer to the overall finger pivot point that, like the other handle, allows more force to be exerted without pain.

When held in the left hand the tool becomes very uncomfortable to use. The left hand juts into the center of the palm and the right handle rests on the last joint of the fingers, an area that has little padding and does not handle sqeezing force well.

There is a very noticeable comfort difference when held in the left hand, after a few seconds of use my hand starts to ache, a first during pliers use. Has anyone else experienced this or are my hands just funny like that?

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Re: The Swisstool, a right handed tool?
Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008, 10:56:09 AM
I mentioned this in passing a little while ago, i don't find it too bad to use though :)
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,4492.msg72798.html#msg72798
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 11:11:38 AM
I've been carrying and using it for a few days and so far I like it a lot, not enough to take sexy pin-up pictures with it frolicking in the surf but well enough.  ;)

:twak:   :D

I think most left hand people are used to holding things in their left hands that were designed for right hands . It never really bothers me but I do see what your saying and I agree it does feel better in the right hand .Just lately what has started to bother me is on the later plier heads the handle are too far apart and your hand alread feels full and overstretched before you even grip something , but in practice it doesnt bother me too much . I still prefer the older plier head design but dont have one in RS flavour .

Dunc

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 04:33:33 PM
The wire stripper impliment is also designed for left handed use...You can't see how far the blade is digging into the rubber if you're holding it in your right hand.
[

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: April 26, 2008, 09:46:47 PM
I've been carrying and using it for a few days and so far I like it a lot, not enough to take sexy pin-up pictures with it frolicking in the surf but well enough.  ;)

:twak:   :D

I think most left hand people are used to holding things in their left hands that were designed for right hands . It never really bothers me but I do see what your saying and I agree it does feel better in the right hand.......

Ordinary scissors for instance. The handles on most are heavily slanted for right handers, but I use them in my left hand without even noticing.
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%