Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The Dawg is in the house!

Chako · 12 · 2843

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
The Dawg is in the house!
on: July 26, 2013, 07:59:50 PM
I have eye a Cable Dawg as soon as they hit the market. What prevented me from getting one was the high price. Well that changed when I bought one off of eBay for half the going price. That made my week, and getting it in my hands, well, that made my day.  :D

The Gerber part of my collection isn't as in-depth as that of my Leatherman collection. With Leatherman, I try to get every tool and every variation that I know about. With the rest of my MT collection, I am happy to get one representative of a tool model. So I am over the moon excited to finally get a Cable Dawg into my paws for a what I consider good price.

Now enough of my being happy happy happy. Time for the photos.

The first thing I noticed...why is the outer box so big? There is enough room in the box to hold 4 Cable Dawgs in their sheaths.

The sheath is very well constructed. In fact, top quality here from what I can see. The colour is ok, but this is a military centric tool...so I can't grip much about the colour.

Plenty of "Made in America" inscriptions on the sheath and tool.

The Cable Dawg is big. Much like the Gerber Groundbreaker that came out after the Cable Dawg, it features a removable handle. This time around, there is only one removable handle unlike the 2 on the Groundbreaker. Also, everything seems a lot sturdier than the civilian centric Groundbreaker. I guess you need things more durable for the military.

The removable handle (yes, the handle locks very nicely with the tool...showing no play) features a nice knife blade with partial serrations and a gut hook. Also, you get a small flat driver, and an interchangeable bit driver. Now this bit driver it top notch. Overall fit and finish is very high. The other handle features a built in bit holder.

I have heard accounts that these things are garbage in the field...and that may be. However, I am impressed by the shear size and heft of this tool. There is no sloppiness here. Everything here gives you confidence that it will work for a long time. With that said, I have heard grumblings in other forums of soldiers who do not like the tool.

The wire stripper section works nicely. I used it on some wire.

The handles are very grippy and feel good in the hand.

A close up of the locking mechanism.

Well I am stoked that I finally got one of these in my collection. I still think it is very expensive for what it does. I did get a heck of a deal online though otherwise I would still be looking at it thinking it is out of my price range for what it is. There is some talk that the tool doesn't live up to expectations. I can't verify it as it is a collection piece. Still happy that I got it though.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 08:23:02 PM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Re: The Dawg is in the house!
Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 08:26:56 PM
That is one hefty Gerber! I think if I had one I would get annoyed that you have to remove the handle every time you want the knife or screwdriver. But I don't see how you would use those while attached to such a large tool, so it makes sense the handle comes off.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 09:38:18 PM
Nice acquisition. :tu:  I have to ask though. Are the bits standard 1/4" or Gerber proprietary bits like on the Balance?

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 09:42:13 PM
Wow!  :o  :o That thing is massively loaded with all kinds of neat stuff.  Cool!  :cheers:

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 11:06:05 PM
I've only read negative reviews of this, so my understanding is that it's not a great tool for its intended audience, especially at the $300 MSRP.  Since you are a collector though and wont be using it, it shouldn't let you down at all.   :D
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 12:16:22 AM
enki_ck...they are standard bits.

Syph007, what I have seen online, lots of complaints about the RJ45 crimper. I don't think the other stuff would fail all that much.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 12:26:28 AM

Syph007, what I have seen online, lots of complaints about the RJ45 crimper. I don't think the other stuff would fail all that much.

Well considering the whole tool is build around the crimpers, I'd consider that a big flaw. :D Though tt_mt6 said not to long ago in the trade forums that his Cable Dawg was "the latest version with better RJ45 crimps" I didn't even know there was an updated version. :think:

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #7 on: July 27, 2013, 01:47:55 AM

Well considering the whole tool is build around the crimpers, I'd consider that a big flaw. :D Though tt_mt6 said not to long ago in the trade forums that his Cable Dawg was "the latest version with better RJ45 crimps" I didn't even know there was an updated version. :think:

I thought they discontinued it...maybe they discounted the faulty ones and reissued the new ones?
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 02:35:01 AM
How would I know if mine is the older or current version?  :think:

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 04:28:23 AM
Not sure, but that thing looks like a beast.
Nate

SEND IT!

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #10 on: July 30, 2013, 09:06:13 AM
Dan, my financial status is borderline nonexistent...I have you to blame.

Sent from my Cruize W280 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

gb Offline Zed

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: July 30, 2013, 12:05:00 PM
Thats a beast dan  :drool:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31