Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Cell phone cameras have gotten a lot better these days.

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
I bought a Samsung SIII a while back, but never took much interest in the camera feature. I tend to be biased towards real dedicated cameras for photo taking, and always viewed cell phone cameras as being useless.

Well I am wrong. You see, I did a nice little 50k motorcycle ride. Along the way, I stopped into a local city park for a washroom break. As I was walking  back to my motorcycle, I thought that it would have made a lovely photo, and I had a sense of regret that I did not have a camera on me. I did remember the ratty little cell phone camera though, and took a few pictures.

When I got home, I thought to myself that I had never downloaded any of the "test" photos I had taken with the cell phone camera. Remembering that I wanted those motorcycle photos, I hooked up the cell phone to my computer for the first time and proceeded to download all the photos I took. Well I had a biblical revelation when I viewed the images on my screen. I was gob smacked no less. I had to quickly re-evaluate my thoughts on cell phone cameras. I quickly did some research on-line to find out that my cell phone has an 8 mega-pixel camera. I will have to use this more often.

When I first got the camera, I did get an App called "Paper Camera". It does these special effects in camera. Knowing what I know now, I will have to use this more in the future. Here is a "Test" photo taken when I first got my 2 cats. This is Annie.

And here are the two images of my motorcycle.

To think these are from a cell phone camera...go figure.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 03:35:01 AM by Chako »
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Re: Cell phone cameras have gotten a lot better these days.
Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 04:11:59 AM
It would make sense that someone into photography like you would opt for a real camera. I have an iphone 4s which also has an 8 megapixel camera and I've used it for every picture I've ever put on MTO. Once my computer gets fixed though I will use my dedicated camera.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 04:17:25 AM
my roommate is a photography hobbyist so I totally understand however seems most people have forgone even point and shoot cameras as the cell cameras have come a long way indeed.  I exclusively use mine for work and personal tho I have been looking to get a quality point and shoot as my dedicated camera.  ive been pouring over reviews and looked at some great rugged ones as I have no doubt it will be dropped at some point.  anyway great pictures and sweet bike. what is it?   
Esse Quam Videri

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 12:12:53 PM
The bike is a Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic. I have added quite a lot of accessories. The Batwing fairing comes from Memphis Shades. The hard saddles bags are from Tsukayu. The grips come from Kuryakyn Also a lot of chrome extras. I just added a cheap backrest to the stock seat and do not like it. I just bought a Mustang seat with backrest on-line. That won't arrive for another few weeks at best. The only thing I am toying with adding, is a Kuryakyn air charger and pipes. The issue here, although the air charger is cool looking, this would involve jetting my carbs properly. I would gain more power at the expense of fuel economy. Just not sure 100% if this is the right way to go. This would also mean the motorcycle would get louder, and I do like the quietness of the 1100 over Harley's.  :think:

A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

gb Offline Millhouse

• No Life Club
  • This isn't me, but I'm just as dysfunctional
Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 01:25:21 PM
Cell phone cameras are handy.  As I always have my phone with me, I always have a camera for those unexpected shots. Under the right conditions, they can take a good picture.

Chako, don't know whether you use video, but you'll find your phone will probably shoot decent video too.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 01:26:57 PM by Millhouse »
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 01:46:40 PM
They really are pretty good these days aren't they? :cheers:  The only thing I miss is having any sort of zoom, but you can't have everything.  I'll also say that people using their ipads etc do looking kinda silly holding them up to take a shot, subtle is ain't. :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 11:26:41 PM
They really are pretty good these days aren't they? :cheers:  The only thing I miss is having any sort of zoom, but you can't have everything.  I'll also say that people using their ipads etc do looking kinda silly holding them up to take a shot, subtle is ain't. :D

When I worked at a restaurant at the centre of Delft, I used to saw -lots- of tourists do that. Always had to hold back my chuckles as they did  :D ::)
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 11:52:02 PM
I also have the Samsung SIII and I love it.  Excellent phone and easy carry with the OtterBox  :tu:
SAW

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD