Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Your Favorite "Stand-alone" SAK

TurkTeen · 114 · 15078

00 Offline Fattsgalore

Re: Your Favorite "Stand-alone" SAK
Reply #60 on: October 31, 2013, 04:49:16 AM
Mine would be a Midnite Manager, why? It was my first SAK and what I've carried everyday since purchase. The flashlight saves my buns as much as any of the blades, probably more. I've learned the tools you have are better than the tools you don't, and I always have my M.M. 

Just recently I've transitioned into the 91mm tool sets and let me say these are some serious tools.

I might retire the Ol' Midnite Manager for a Compact with Traveller Scales. Love the digi + scales  :drool: but I'd have to add in a Steamlight Nano in Red or another tiny light. My EDC wouldn't be complete with out a little bit of light.
I might turn a newly acquired Traveller Lite into a Taveling Yeoman Lite. Who knows???

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #61 on: October 31, 2013, 12:16:12 PM
OK, Its a toss up between my Onyx Explorer and my Woodsman. Leaning towards the Explorer  :tool:

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #62 on: October 31, 2013, 01:21:22 PM
This is an old thread that someone's revived, but I missed it first time, so I'll answer not.

Usually, I will select my SAK for the day in the morning, depending on what I have planned for that day. If it is just another day in the office, then I usually pick the Victorinox Rambler or Wenger Pocket Toolchest. I'm an electrical engineer, and this usually suits my needs.

For weekend days, I usually choose my Explorer or Spartan Lite.

But I don't think that was your questions. I think you meant if I had to choose one knife for EVERY day, and I presume you're talking about a stock model, not a mod.

Right now, I would choose a Climber Plus, for the following reasons:

• Only three layers thick, but has a good everyday tool set. Three layers is about as thick as I feel comfortable with for daily office carry.
  • I've GOT to have T&T, so the alox models are out.
  • I've GOT to have a proper flat screwdriver on the bottle opener. The combo tool on the Yeoman etc. is totally inadequate, as it always folds up on me in use.
  • Compact is close, but no Phillips
  • Explorer is close, but too thick
  • Super Tinker is close, (and I EDC'd one for YEARS) but I don't think the T-Phillips adds enough capability, compared to what the small screwdriver tip on the can opener does. May as well have a corkscrew and eyeglass screwdriver instead.
  • Tinker/Small Tinker and Sportsman are close, but at times, I really like to have the small scissors, even though a two-layer knife is much more comfortable in the pocket of dress pants.
  • Yeoman is close, but the lack of a decent flat head screwdriver and the lack of a small blade kills it.
  • Rambler is close, but sometimes, it feels a bit .... "light-duty" Anything I could do with the Rambler blade, I can also do with a small blade on a full size SAK
  • I DID EDC a Tinker for YEARS, before I decided I had to have scissors. It was great, and I didn't even miss the scissors that much, most of the time. Many things that can be done with a scissors can also be done with a very sharp knife blade, such as trimming loose threads, cutting out newspaper articles. Only trimming nose hair is out of the question, hehehe.
Like you, I don't like to carry multiple tools. But, I also don't like being caught without something. So what I do is carry a SAK based on what I think I'll do for the day, and put SAKs in other places. For instance:

• in my car's glove box, I have a SwissTool. I'm usually not far from my car.
  • In my small toolbox at home, I have a Leatherman Wingman
  • In my large toolbox at home, I have an old discontinued Wenger. (yeah, I should replace it with something of no collector value...
  • In my desk drawer at work, I don't need a SAK really, as I have all my tools here for work
  • In my backpack, I usually have my CyberTool34
  • Nothing on my keys except one of those button cell LED flashlights. I might replace that with a Midnight Manager or Signature Lite or Classic. I go back and forth here.
-Jeremy
"Well begun is half done."
-Aristotle

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Reply #63 on: October 31, 2013, 01:23:20 PM
I also sometimes EDC my Explorer in a dressy belt pouch that doesn't look terrible with dress clothes... Certainly a lot better than the giant cell phone holster lots of people carry.
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #64 on: October 31, 2013, 01:26:19 PM
My Climber would probably be my stand alone, unless I have a feeling I might need something a little stouter, then I'd say my OHT.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #65 on: October 31, 2013, 01:31:12 PM
Soldier 1961 - That was my stand-alone SAK for many years, now days I would probably be a Cadet.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline sticktodrum

• Kershaws, Zebralights, SAKs, and Leather Men.
Reply #66 on: October 31, 2013, 01:33:46 PM
No flashlight? Blasphemy! My custom alox does it for me, but as standalone as it is, no SAK can replace my light.
"If you put Bacardi in my glass again and try to tell me it's rum, I will burn this bar to the ground!"

-A paraphrase of something I read, to which I related strongly.

de Offline crackout

Reply #67 on: October 31, 2013, 02:15:09 PM
The "most complete" factory SAK should be the Alox Ramblers if you only consider tool selection.
You've got anything you need in that package plus tough Alox scales.
However, it lacks sturdiness. :angel:

Say my name.

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #68 on: November 01, 2013, 02:09:15 AM
Let me reread that again....

Ok... wow.... and I'm assuming only stock models, not customs. Evil.

Toss up between the OHT and the Fieldmaster, although I can make a case for the Huntsman Lite even if the light is very lacking.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

us Offline mtngoat

Reply #69 on: November 01, 2013, 03:10:09 AM
My fave at the moment is my improved Explorer. I added a bit adapter and now it's range is massively increased! Take that Cybertool! Now all it needs is a saw.................................

What are you using for the bit adaptor?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind." -Dr. Seuss-

us Offline burnside

My Favorite "Stand-alone" SAK is the Explorer.
Reply #70 on: November 01, 2013, 03:42:31 AM
My favorite stand-alone SAK is the Explorer. I feel kind of unsure about my answer, but I guess that is to be expected with so many choices to choose from. Seeing as the Explorer has always been my go-to SAK since the 80's, that's the one I'm going to choose. It's laid out with all the practical tools I would ever really need, and it has nostalgic value as well.

If I was the type of person who carried a mutlitool paired with a SAK or some other knife all the time, I would probably pick the SwissChamp, the CT-41, or even the CT-34 as my stand-alone SAK. Since I'm not one of those guys, I have a real hard time choosing between the Climber and the Explorer.

The older red no-shield Alox Pioneer/Soldier, the Farmer, and the Deluxe Climber/DeluxeTinker are all contenders as well.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 04:59:35 AM by burnside »

us Offline Smaug

• No Life Club
  • Desk Jockey
Re: My Favorite "Stand-alone" SAK is the Explorer.
Reply #71 on: November 01, 2013, 03:56:25 AM
My favorite stand-alone SAK is the Explorer. I feel kind of unsure about my answer, but I guess that is to be expected with so many choices to choose from. Seeing as the Explorer has always been my go-to SAK since the 80's, that's the one I'm going to choose. It's laid out with all the practical tools I would ever really need, and it has nostalgic value as well.

This question took a lot of soul-searching for me too. As you could probably tell by my rambling post.

If it gives you some confidence, remember that the Explorer was Carl Elsener Sr.'s favorite. ;)

It's just so nice sometimes to have that inline Phillips, eh? That tip can handle double the torque of a can opener tip without being damaged. ;)
-Jeremy
-Aristotle

us Offline kmanct3

• No Life Club
Reply #72 on: November 01, 2013, 12:17:11 PM
Am I wrong in noticing the Explorer is coming out on top ?

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #73 on: November 01, 2013, 02:05:10 PM

I think you're right.  The Explorer is one of the best SAKs (imo, and apparently many others') and reading all this makes me miss mine (sacrificed for to create my Yeochamp).  I'm really considering getting one again, with Plus scales this time. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #74 on: November 01, 2013, 02:23:32 PM

I think you're right.  The Explorer is one of the best SAKs (imo, and apparently many others') and reading all this makes me miss mine (sacrificed for to create my Yeochamp).  I'm really considering getting one again, with Plus scales this time.
The Explorer is one of my favorites too. I carry one daily and it has everything I need. You should get another one and don't get this one modded.  :twak:
SAW

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #75 on: November 01, 2013, 02:35:48 PM

The Explorer is one of my favorites too. I carry one daily and it has everything I need. You should get another one and don't get this one modded.  :twak:

I probably will eventually get another one.  I wouldn't mind onyx Plus scales, and have seen them on eBay.  They can also be engrave the main blade with my initials for a small fee, which is cool.  I also was curious about Stayglow scales, but I don't thing they're available in Plus form :think:

Oh, and I would possibly get this one modded, but only to add either the metal file/saw or the fish scaler, and replace the hook with the hook/nailfile :D
K-Tibbs

us Offline burnside

Reply #76 on: November 01, 2013, 04:29:47 PM

I probably will eventually get another one.  I wouldn't mind onyx Plus scales, and have seen them on eBay.  They can also be engrave the main blade with my initials for a small fee, which is cool.  I also was curious about Stayglow scales, but I don't thing they're available in Plus form :think:

Oh, and I would possibly get this one modded, but only to add either the metal file/saw or the fish scaler, and replace the hook with the hook/nailfile :D

What is the deal with the fish scaler anyways? I've never thought of using it for anything. I'm sure a simple search will find me the answers, but I ask anyways.

I'm going to eventually pick up one of the newer Explorers. I'd like one with the new-new mag glass with real glass, and I'd like it to have silver tech scales.

The following post made by Smaug from the "At this moment, what are your Top 5 SAKs?" was very helpful in my decision to pick up one of the newer Explorers...

2.Explorer... Older model without the hook. The old standby, been using the explorer since the 80's.
This list is, of course, likely to change. The ones that aren't likely to leave the top five would be the Explorer and the Farmer.

My Explorer is an 80s one too. I just received an Explorer I ordered for my brother for his Christmas present. (side note: Back in the 80s when I got the Explorer, he got a Swisschamp. He only carried it a handful of times, due to it being "pocket-hostile.")

As such, I can compare old to new directly. Here's what I noticed:

• The Phillips on the new ones are better. On my old one, that Phillips was a bit too small for a #2, and a bit too big for a #1. It would work on either, but not that well. On his new one, it is bigger and shorter, so it fits a #2 better. In this regard, I like the new one better.
  • His has the one-piece magnifier. It has about half the magnification of my old one, but of course a bigger field of view. Which one is preferable depends on how much magnification one wants. The new one is probably more durable...
  • His new one, I ordered with Plus scales in emerald green. We didn't have such cool options in the 80s...
  • On his new one, the ring that holds the key ring is at least 3X as thick. On our old ones, that little tab was more or less an afterthought. On the new ones, it is part of some other full-thickness piece
So, while I love my Explorer for the nostalgia factor, the new one is the superior tool in most regards, in my opinion.

It would be interesting to see how it compares to my older hookless Explorer. I'm very interested in seeing if there are any differences between the 'snap' and tightness of the tools when opening and closing. I'm also interested in seeing if there is any thickness or weight differences. Smaug's reasons for liking the newer Explorer over the older model are very compelling.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #77 on: November 01, 2013, 04:52:56 PM
The fish scaler is a good misc. poker/prodder type thing.  The end can be good for some things as well, like as a fork, or it can sort of "grab" certain things to move them or whatnot.  It's a good "use your imagination" type of tool.  Plus it has a ruler, which comes in handy once in a while.  I never use it as an actual fish scaler, and likely never will.  I just like to have a decent misc type tool on my SAKs, and the metal file/saw is good for this as well. 

I too want the newest version with the actual glass mag glass :tu:
K-Tibbs

ca Offline Jothra

• No Life Club
  • Queen's Venturer
Reply #78 on: November 01, 2013, 06:44:34 PM
The fish scaler is a good misc. poker/prodder type thing.  The end can be good for some things as well, like as a fork, or it can sort of "grab" certain things to move them or whatnot.  It's a good "use your imagination" type of tool.  Plus it has a ruler, which comes in handy once in a while.  I never use it as an actual fish scaler, and likely never will.  I just like to have a decent misc type tool on my SAKs, and the metal file/saw is good for this as well. 

I too want the newest version with the actual glass mag glass :tu:

I admit that while I dislike the fish scaler in a substantial way, during tool challenges I use them for all kinds of stuff, specifically because I don't care what happens to them at all.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #79 on: November 01, 2013, 09:07:29 PM
I have a feeling my favorite stand-alone SAK could be this one very soon. :D

hr Offline splico

• Explorer
Reply #80 on: January 21, 2014, 08:25:11 PM
My fave at the moment is my improved Explorer. I added a bit adapter and now it's range is massively increased! Take that Cybertool! Now all it needs is a saw.................................

+1
 ;)
CyberExplorerPlus.jpg
* CyberExplorerPlus.jpg (Filesize: 369.77 KB)

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #81 on: January 21, 2014, 10:19:03 PM

(Image removed from quote.)

Love this!  It's a great "urban" toolset.

I've been a huge combo-tool fan in the past, but I've recently realized again that the extra opener/awl layer is pretty valuable at times.
- Terry

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #82 on: January 21, 2014, 10:27:13 PM

Love this!  It's a great "urban" toolset.

I've been a huge combo-tool fan in the past, but I've recently realized again that the extra opener/awl layer is pretty valuable at times.

It was a custom order I got from GigaHz for his 1k giveaway.

Except the corkscrew, all flat backsprings. New SS metal file, old thick blade. :cheers:

Offline NG VI

Reply #83 on: January 22, 2014, 01:21:14 AM
Trail Guide!

us Offline burnside

Reply #84 on: January 22, 2014, 10:54:29 AM
I know I said the Explorer was my choice before, but lately I have been mostly carrying an alox Pionner or a Spartan. I think I could get by with either of those as a Stand alone SAK. I would miss the inline philips, but these days there seems to be less and less things that call for a philips head screwdriver.

I love the two layered SAKs for their simplicity, and for their feel in the hand and pocket. Like I said in my original post, this is a hard choice to make, and it is likely to change again in the future.

ro Offline Corwyn

• No Life Club
Reply #85 on: March 05, 2014, 09:43:12 AM
Using Tinker with Signature Lite now mostly (with Classic Alox and USB on keychain), but thinking of replacing them all with a Delemont EvoGrip 16 as now I seem to have too many overlapping tools.
I’d be getting the extra scrissors, nailfile with nailcleaner (which I actually use a lot) in a shorter, more ergonomic package.
Not sure if I can shove a pin and a pen in the Evo 16 though. I’m also concerned 85 is a bit too small for my hand (91 fit perfectly) but also too thick (3 layers + Evogrip vs 2 layers vs Cellido)r.
... and losing the flashlight too... I love the white Sig Lite flashlight, using it daily.. is there anyway of putting toothpick, tweezers, pin, pen and flashlite on the same knife?
Corwyn of Multitool, the First of His name, King of Victorinox, King of Leatherman, Gerber and the First Generation SOG, Lord of the Seven Wrenches, Protector of the Forum, Khal of the Bushes, called Corwyn Toolborn, the Unsharpened, Father of SAKs.

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #86 on: March 05, 2014, 12:24:40 PM
Using Tinker with Signature Lite now mostly (with Classic Alox and USB on keychain), but thinking of replacing them all with a Delemont EvoGrip 16 as now I seem to have too many overlapping tools.
I’d be getting the extra scrissors, nailfile with nailcleaner (which I actually use a lot) in a shorter, more ergonomic package.
Not sure if I can shove a pin and a pen in the Evo 16 though. I’m also concerned 85 is a bit too small for my hand (91 fit perfectly) but also too thick (3 layers + Evogrip vs 2 layers vs Cellido)r.
... and losing the flashlight too... I love the white Sig Lite flashlight, using it daily.. is there anyway of putting toothpick, tweezers, pin, pen and flashlite on the same knife?

So, why not a Super Tinker? Just adds a scissors layer to your Tinker, and you get to keep your pen and pin without any mods. A single AAA flashlight to accompany it and you're done.

Oh, wait, nailfile.... Hmmm..,

Anyway... Wenger's aren't compatible with the pen, though adding a pin might not be a too difficult mod... Also, I don't think there's ways to add a light to a Wenger...
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #87 on: March 05, 2014, 02:46:16 PM
I think I may now have my favorite standalone SAK - My Explorer ME, The Rogue :D  Sorry, can't post a pic at the moment.
K-Tibbs

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #88 on: March 05, 2014, 02:59:51 PM
I think I may now have my favorite standalone SAK - My Explorer ME, The Rogue :D  Sorry, can't post a pic at the moment.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #89 on: March 05, 2014, 03:15:22 PM

Nice one :D
K-Tibbs

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31