Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How to use a cell phone for survival

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
How to use a cell phone for survival
on: July 10, 2013, 01:43:11 AM
Someone just posted this on the MTO Facebook page and I thought I'd share:

http://memolition.com/2013/05/31/how-to-use-your-cell-phone-as-a-survival-tool/

Interesting ideas, but I wonder how effective they'd be?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Re: How to use a cell phone for survival
Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 02:03:48 AM
Interesting. If that's all you have in a survival situation you might as well tear it open and use what you can. Given there is no chance of getting cell reception or staying on long enough for them to track your GPS signal. I wonder if the battery still has enough juice to light a fire after its dead?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 02:05:36 AM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 03:39:43 AM
I wondered that too. Also, where are you hoping to get the teeny Torx screwdriver necessary to take it apart?

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 06:09:05 AM
I wondered that too. Also, where are you hoping to get the teeny Torx screwdriver necessary to take it apart?

Def

and here is your answer.......
 :pok:  ;)

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 06:43:39 AM

Def

(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)

May I ask more about this knife? :)

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 09:16:23 AM
I need details on that knife also!!! I'm really digging it. What Torx is in it?
I'm the milk man!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 11:57:04 AM
Good idea Wayne, but if I had that SAK handy I might not need to tear apart my phone!  :D

Def

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 04:27:17 PM

Def

May I ask more about this knife? :)
Here is a couple places where we have already talked about this rare 58mm Victorinox with the Torx bit driver;
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,12454.msg232316.html#msg232316
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,8317.msg152091.html#msg152091
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,18924.msg358378.html#msg358378
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 04:28:59 PM by stressmaster5000 »

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 13, 2013, 03:22:55 AM
All of those mentioned would work as I have tried most of them except the circuit board spear. No I didn't use a good phone :P
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 03:41:40 PM
Why would you need a torx screw when you are surrounded by rocks  :think:
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 05:23:01 PM
Do they make Torx rocks now?  :D

Seriously, it seems to me if you smash the phone open with a rock you might end up smashing the things you were hoping to use, such as reflective surfaces or circuit boards large enough to try and fashion a knife from.

Def

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 05:26:13 AM
Personally, unless the cell phone is really dead and even beyond repair, then it might worth a while to take it apart. 

I won't trust the 'LCD screen' as signal mirror, because even a poorly made mirror will see significant suffering of performance, let alone a lcd screen.

The battery idea might work, but it probably work better with 'steel wool'.(The question is if you'd have steel wool handy, why won't you have your survival kit with you  ;) )

The speaker/steel wire/compass will work, but bring a 20mm compass would just make life that much easier, especially if you are moving.

The catching food... :facepalm:  I don't trap food for life, and can't imagine how effective I would be using a cell phone to catch food.  We are on MTO, can't we just make spear or fish hook by using our SAKs?

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 05:34:22 AM
Ok, looked it up on youtube, and here's what I found:

Busted Cell Phone Survival Skills

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #13 on: August 03, 2013, 10:06:02 AM
I found this comment interesting at the bottom of the page from the original link.

Claudia Acosta · Information Technology SpeSmurfpillst at California State University, Fullerton
I love it, but I would need 2 phones, one to pull the website with the instructions and the other one to get the parts from. Great info, Thanks.
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 02:13:26 PM
I suppose that's the crux of it, isn't it Terry?  It doesn't matter what tools and resources you have available to you, some folks will survive and some won't.   ::)

Def

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #15 on: August 04, 2013, 03:19:34 PM
I suppose that's the crux of it, isn't it Terry?  It doesn't matter what tools and resources you have available to you, some folks will survive and some won't.   ::)

Def

I guess if you don't have the survival instinct in you the idea that anything on you can be used in a survival situation is out the window. That's when I say, please pass your oxygen to me you won't be needing it. :rofl:
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 03:01:58 PM
... and most of us will 99.99% of the time have some SAK/Multitool so we won't have to wreck a perfectly god phone in n emergency anyway!
“A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks they've lost.”
- Terry Pratchett

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 03:08:45 PM
I'd certainly have to be really desperate to start thinking about taking my phone apart for survival, but what this does show (to me) is not how a phone can be used, but rather how essential ingenuity and forethought is to getting yourself out of bother should it arise. Obviously the focus here is on the phone, but maybe the focus should be on awareness of principles for improvised tool making and how a sharp mind is as useful as a sharp knife ... in fact a sharp knife and a dull mind, won't get you very far at all

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 05:29:36 PM
Oh no, I know all of these neat survival tricks for a broken cell phone but all I have is a broken tablet!  We're doomed!

Def

Sent from the place I sent it from

br Offline Santos

• No Life Club
  • Product of 83
Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 01:54:14 AM
I'd certainly have to be really desperate to start thinking about taking my phone apart for survival, but what this does show (to me) is not how a phone can be used, but rather how essential ingenuity and forethought is to getting yourself out of bother should it arise. Obviously the focus here is on the phone, but maybe the focus should be on awareness of principles for improvised tool making and how a sharp mind is as useful as a sharp knife ... in fact a sharp knife and a dull mind, won't get you very far at all

Sometimes i wnder if these thing hinder mre than help.. it seems like survival kits go on  and on about the signal mirror especially to hail helicopter/airplanes. Unless they are specifically loking for you i don't lik my chances that a reflected ray of light will succesfully srike through a cckcpit window and arouse the attention of the pilot and they will ak ation from it (and not dismiss it as coincidence)

Generally its far better in my mind to have 3 fires running 10m apart in  line with heaps of smoke t be seen for kilometres in any direction.

Across a mountain or something directed at a to a rescue party i could see whilst i was moving i the only limited time the signal mirror would be appropiate over fire.
- Terry Pratchett

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 02:07:14 AM
Oh no, I know all of these neat survival tricks for a broken cell phone but all I have is a broken tablet!  We're doomed!

Def

Sent from the place I sent it from

:D :D

Sometimes i wnder if these thing hinder mre than help.. it seems like survival kits go on  and on about the signal mirror especially to hail helicopter/airplanes. Unless they are specifically loking for you i don't lik my chances that a reflected ray of light will succesfully srike through a cckcpit window and arouse the attention of the pilot and they will ak ation from it (and not dismiss it as coincidence)

Generally its far better in my mind to have 3 fires running 10m apart in  line with heaps of smoke t be seen for kilometres in any direction.

Across a mountain or something directed at a to a rescue party i could see whilst i was moving i the only limited time the signal mirror would be appropiate over fire.

I did kind of have similar thoughts about whistles. These signalling devices are only as good as the people on the receiving end. I wouldn't be surprised if the vast majority of people here in the UK out on a hike, would disregard signal flashes, assume whistle blasts are some kids pissing about, and tut and grumble about some vandal lighting a fire and only report it to someone if it looked like it could spread and cause a real problem. You have to hope you catch the attention of someone who understands the lingo.

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 10:28:36 AM
Def,

the broken tablet might make a great signal mirror, make sure to bring it to every outings from this point on.  :D

I think in additional to the kit, always let 2-3 reliable parties to know where you are going/purpose of trip/simple route/gear is a good measure for potential rescue if you don't return in time.  Some survival expert suggest to leave foot print on a tin foil inside at the windshield, I think that's a great idea too. :tu:

For myself, I have two outdoor survival kits, one small and one large--small is always on person, large one will depend on the load but always in pack.  They are mainly used for the purpose of sustaining about ~72+ hours in wilderness while waiting for rescue.

But it will really suck if I got lost from the beginning of the trip, and no rescue might be looking for me until much later on, then it might be beneficial to leave clues and navigate if I know where to go. :think:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #22 on: October 27, 2013, 06:24:18 AM
Only time I'm likely to have a phone and not a knife on me is on a plane or jury duty. And if a plane crashes, I'm pretty sure I'm not walking away.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

00 Offline cool123

Reply #23 on: January 05, 2015, 09:00:44 AM
Someone just posted this on the MTO Facebook page and I thought I'd share:

http://memolition.com/2013/05/31/how-to-use-your-cell-phone-as-a-survival-tool/

Interesting ideas, but I wonder how effective they'd be?

Def

Today there are availability of cell phone which can be used for survival trips as they have some sought of knife fixed on the back of the phone. These type of cell phones are perfect for survival.
If I need to pick some good EDC tools.
Then I would take my love leatherman multi tool wave and a flash light. Other are just a waste !!!

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #24 on: January 05, 2015, 12:52:29 PM
Each and every time i read one of this funny survival threads on the net i wonder what people are expecting to get in such a situation.  :think:

Plane/Helicopter crash? I would assume that a missing one would cause a big search. And IF you survived the crash it might be not a bad idea to stay where they can find the big visible parts. Additional you probably won´t have any of your fancy survival gear at hand due to TSA, but a lot of parts from the plane/heli.

Broken car? Probably your chances are better to stay on the road, even far out between towns your chances should be better to be found by another car than trying to be Bear Grills in the woods aside the street.

Out on a hike? I would wonder if you do that without the right equipment for the region and season, as you do this knowingly and on a purpose. Accident while out there, broke a leg or something? Not sure what any broken phonestuff should help when you are not capable to use your bought and carried equipment.
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #25 on: January 05, 2015, 01:04:52 PM
Each and every time i read one of this funny survival threads on the net i wonder what people are expecting to get in such a situation.  :think:

Plane/Helicopter crash? I would assume that a missing one would cause a big search. And IF you survived the crash it might be not a bad idea to stay where they can find the big visible parts. Additional you probably won´t have any of your fancy survival gear at hand due to TSA, but a lot of parts from the plane/heli.

Broken car? Probably your chances are better to stay on the road, even far out between towns your chances should be better to be found by another car than trying to be Bear Grills in the woods aside the street.

Out on a hike? I would wonder if you do that without the right equipment for the region and season, as you do this knowingly and on a purpose. Accident while out there, broke a leg or something? Not sure what any broken phonestuff should help when you are not capable to use your bought and carried equipment.
I think its more an exercise of mind. You know, what could you salvage.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

de Offline Lichtbote

Reply #26 on: January 05, 2015, 01:21:36 PM

With a big enough hoard and clutterer syndrome next to everything might be worth to be salvaged.  :D
Have fun.

Bye,
Michael

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: January 05, 2015, 01:55:27 PM

With a big enough hoard and clutterer syndrome next to everything might be worth to be salvaged.  :D
Actually, its not a bad exercise, as it teaches you that there might be more uses to stuff than you first imagine...
If you have a stick you have a spear or cudgel but you have more a stick could be a support structure or fuel for your fire. I think the idea is to look for uses apart from the most obvious ones.

It is kinda like the SAK hook... some people think its useless, now that packages don't have strings anymore, others find new uses.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%