Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Corkscrew Saves the Day

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Corkscrew Saves the Day
on: November 29, 2015, 05:13:31 AM
Was at my friend's house for Thanksgiving and my wife hands me a bottle of wine with a half-pulled cork that was shredded on one side and said, "Fix."  I cut off the cork at the bottle's lip with the small blade on my SAK and then used the corkscrew to pull the rest of it out.  Apparently the real corkscrew she was using had a bent screw.

A couple of minutes later she hands me another bottle of wine, with a just slightly pulled cork and said, "Fix." This one had a straight hole in it caused by a second "real" corkscrew that had a screw that was too narrow in diameter and not finely enough spaced to get adequate purchase on the cork.  It probably would have worked fine on a synthetic cork but not on a real one. Once again I cut off the protruding portion and was able to pull the rest with my SAK.  Not sure if he has a third corkscrew around, that actually works, but luckily we didn't need to find out :D

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Corkscrew Saves the Day
Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 05:44:01 AM
Was at my friend's house for Thanksgiving and my wife hands me a bottle of wine with a half-pulled cork that was shredded on one side and said, "Fix."  I cut off the cork at the bottle's lip with the small blade on my SAK and then used the corkscrew to pull the rest of it out.  Apparently the real corkscrew she was using had a bent screw.

A couple of minutes later she hands me another bottle of wine, with a just slightly pulled cork and said, "Fix." This one had a straight hole in it caused by a second "real" corkscrew that had a screw that was too narrow in diameter and not finely enough spaced to get adequate purchase on the cork.  It probably would have worked fine on a synthetic cork but not on a real one. Once again I cut off the protruding portion and was able to pull the rest with my SAK.  Not sure if he has a third corkscrew around, that actually works, but luckily we didn't need to find out :D

:tu:   :cheers:

no Offline Grathr

Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 06:47:44 AM

:tu:   :cheers:

+1 :cheers:
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

hr Offline styx

Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 11:36:07 AM
And then people say that Phillips is a better back tool
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline tattoosteve99

Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 01:48:54 PM
Gotta love the corkscrew
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

bavaria Offline Tomcat_81

Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 02:14:52 PM
And think of this incredible chance for a nice present next time you visit them ;-)
 :climber:
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 03:38:23 PM by Tomcat_81 »
Sent from my Boconcept sofa, using the 'post'-button

Owing a beer to Whoey since 2016

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 04:23:49 PM
I just love hearing stuff like this.  Bummer the "real" corkscrew was a dud but it certainly shows why having the right tool for the job is awesome. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Sheradin

• Penn's Woods
Reply #7 on: November 29, 2015, 05:17:54 PM
 :drink:   :salute:

us Offline NetsNJ

Reply #8 on: November 29, 2015, 06:32:36 PM
I just love hearing stuff like this.  Bummer the "real" corkscrew was a dud but it certainly shows why having the right tool for the job is awesome.

I am consistently impressed with how good the riveting is on SAK corkscrews.  You can really torque them without worrying about busting up the rivet.  This isn't true for many "dedicated" corkscrews. 

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #9 on: November 29, 2015, 06:43:14 PM

Because it is.

hr Offline styx

Reply #10 on: November 29, 2015, 06:53:45 PM

Because it is.

stop using your utterly immaculate logic and coherent arguments to make a point. this is MT.O. a place where nonsense ensues and Kirky gets blamed

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #11 on: November 29, 2015, 06:56:42 PM

Because it is.

stop using your utterly immaculate logic and coherent arguments to make a point. this is MT.O. a place where nonsense ensues and Kirky gets blamed

Those are some big words.

us Offline strmliner

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: November 29, 2015, 07:23:54 PM
You guys go ahead and debate the backtool argument, but I think it's all about carrying the right tool given what you'll be doing.  I probably wouldn't carry a Tinker to a dinner, just as I wouldn't carry a Golfer or Climber if I was out doing handy-work unless I had a MT on my belt.

Great job and story theonew...thanks for sharing!   :cheers:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they go."    -Will Rogers

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #13 on: November 29, 2015, 07:27:38 PM
You guys go ahead and debate the backtool argument, but I think it's all about carrying the right tool given what you'll be doing.  I probably wouldn't carry a Tinker to a dinner, just as I wouldn't carry a Golfer or Climber if I was out doing handy-work unless I had a MT on my belt.

Great job and story theonew...thanks for sharing!   :cheers:

:imws:

There is no "best", only most appropriate for the situation ahead

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline twiliter

• motionless wheel, nothing is real
Reply #14 on: November 29, 2015, 07:28:31 PM
My trusty Climber got some additional character over the holiday uncorking some stubborn bottles. Thought I would have an alox model in my pocket for the wow factor, but the old Climber was perfect for the tasks of the day.  :)
image.jpeg
* image.jpeg (Filesize: 172.37 KB)

us Offline theonew

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: November 30, 2015, 05:12:07 AM
And think of this incredible chance for a nice present next time you visit them ;-)
 :climber:

Come to think of it, I did give him a Wenger cigar cutter SAK with a corkscrew several years ago for his birthday but it probably would have been faster to drive to a store and buy a corkscrew than find it in his cluttered office/man cave ::)

Regarding the phillips vs. corkscrew debate, I will say for every time I've used the corkscrew I've probably used the phillips driver 10 times. My only problem with the back layer phillips is that it is nearly impossible to use in so many situations, which is why my edc SAK has an inline phillips on it.  If I didn't want that relatively thick layer with only a mag glass or light accompanying it (which I do, very much so) I would still probably opt for the corkscrew and just carry a Screwz-All or a Screw Key on my keychain.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #16 on: November 30, 2015, 08:58:11 AM
Yes inline Phillips is mo betta.

hr Offline styx

Reply #17 on: November 30, 2015, 09:07:21 AM

Because it is.

Those are some big words.

well you know me, i gotta be a smartass  ;) :drink:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%