Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Swiss Army Soldiers Knife to the Rescue?

au Offline TheDude

• "What is the riddle of steel?"
Swiss Army Soldiers Knife to the Rescue?
on: July 13, 2013, 04:06:55 AM
Nearly bought a :sak: Rescue tool but since the LM Raptor is finally coming out I can't justify buying both. I only buy tools I have a legitimate use for. I am however on the cusp of buying SAK Swiss Soldiers Knife that I think would serve well in my camping/survival kit instead of my LM ST300 mainly due to the weight saving and ergonomics. I have seen a critical review that did mention that the above :multi: is too big for the pocket. Can anyone give their honest no BS assessment of the Swiss Soldiers knife post some in field testing?
Eventually even McGyver got himself a Leatherman

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Re: Swiss Army Soldiers Knife to the Rescue?
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 04:37:08 AM
If you're talking about the 111mm, go for it.  The serrated blade is very useful if a bit unusual with the serrated section at the tip.  The large locking flathead driver/bottle opener is also excellent as a prybar, the can opener is the Vic standard, and the saw is great.  I don't think it's too big for pocket carry.  I have the German Army version of it, identical knife with different handles.  It's a tank, but very comfortable in the pocket IMO.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

scotland Offline gardenvalley

Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 11:00:14 AM
Be aware though, the soldier`s knife has no tweezers or toothpick. There`s a Youtube video highlighting this.
Thi`s signature contain`s no superfluou`s apostrophe`s

au Offline TheDude

Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 01:23:04 PM
The toothpick and tweezers I can live without. But is the main blade suitable for food prep?

za Offline meanx

Reply #4 on: July 13, 2013, 07:35:10 PM
The toothpick and tweezers I can live without. But is the main blade suitable for food prep?

Very much so, a camping magazine out here, did a test in this months issue of the 12 most popular camping knives (in selling terms), and the Soldier was the only folder that got 5/5 for  cutting tests done on tomatoes and beef gerky, and the can opener also got 5/5
« Last Edit: July 13, 2013, 07:37:19 PM by meanx »
Rest is not idleness,
and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day,
listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky,
is by no means a waste of time

au Offline TheDude

Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 02:18:25 AM
The can opener has always been my favorate tool on the :sak:. Stopped carrying them for outdoors years ago because I thought the blade was too small.

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 04:32:43 PM
You could also just get a regular Trekker and have the Tweezers and Toothpick..Lateley not that I have hundreds of knives I have been downsizing and passing off blades to my two boys...My Trekker made the cut and stayed in my Drawer and Pocket
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

au Offline TheDude

Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 04:31:54 AM
Is it exactly the same? Apart from the above and the scales. I like the idea of the softer scales in the Swiss Soldier. Some say they get dirty however.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 05:11:23 AM
Totally agree on the weight saving, and if a SAK trekker is too large for pocket carry, so will the LM supertool 300.   :D

I too have the German Army version Trekker, which comes with a phillips instead of a corkscrew, but I am planning to get a "54875 US Model" which is a one-hand-open Trekker without the serration at the front.

au Offline TheDude

Reply #9 on: July 16, 2013, 07:09:59 AM
Yeah I'm not a big fan of serrations like I used to be. I have heard this version of small serrations is better however. But perhapse it is more to do with the type of steel?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD