Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

2013 Anniversary "Another giveaway" product review

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
So,
Miraculously I won this giveaway, as part of several 2013 MT.O Anniversary giveaways  :cheers:
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,45928.0.html

Many thanks to all of the people who made it happen, and gave away stuff for free, just because they felt like it. :tu:

I thought it would be appropriate to do a short product review of the prizes, along with some pics for illustration purposes (and some :drool:).

The items came in a bubble wrap padded envelope, and while inspecting it my heart skipped a beat because it had a hole ripped into one of the sides!
Thankfully the tear was quite small, so nothing fell out.
(The rip is on the right side of the envelope, I tore open the other side in a mail opening induced frenzy)

In the package were the following items.
  • A S.O.G Micron
  • A "LIGHT MY FIRE" FireSteel
  • A Woods Monkey key chain

The Micron is incredibly small. Even after I looked up its size online I couldn't believe it was this tiny.
It can easily fit onto your key chain and be barely noticed.
It takes a bit of force to open with the nail nick, but it's no nail breaker.
It will not open accidentally in your pocket. The lockup is good, it has no side to side wobble, and you have to exert a small amount of force in order to close it.
The edges of the handle are a bit sharp, but with a knife this thin and small I don't think it's necessary to sand them down, you won't be gripping it to tightly.
The blade isn't super sharp out of the box, It can't easily cut paper. I expected it to be sharper.
I'll try sharpening it a bit and see how sharp I can make it.
The box says it has a lifetime warranty. I'm glad to see that S.O.G stand behind their products, even if they are key chain sized.

Packaged

Open (and un-packaged  :whistle:)

Closed

Look how thin it is!

In comparison to a pen I had on hand

All in all I really like this small knife. I will be using it for (very) light cutting tasks and general fiddling with, while at work.

The next item I pulled out of the envelope was the LMF FireSteel.

I have never owned or used a fire steel so  was a bit excited about this one.
I like the simplicity and reliability of fire steel as opposed to lighters and matches.
The first thing I noticed was that it didn't look like the fire steel in the picture on the giveaway thread.

What I got

What was posted

It's no big deal, as the differences are cosmetic, but I found it odd.

The fire steel came coated in a thin black paint.
After a bit of scraping with the attached metal plate (thingy) it produced a good amount of sparks when struck properly.
It takes a bit of practice to get the hang of it, but when done properly you can easily light tinder and other flammable things  ::)

I can't say much more about it, except that it works as advertized, and will definitely be going with me on weekend camping trips and outings.

In the FireSteel package I also got a card advertizing JRE Industries. Apparently they distribute (outstanding) knives and make (fine) leather sheaths.
I've never heard of them.

The last thing I got was a small Woods Monkey key chain.

It's basically a small round piece of wood with some "Woods Monkey" propaganda printed on it, and a small piece of ball chain attached to it.
I have never heard of them before and will be looking into their website a bit.

Maybe I'm being nit-picky, but the wood seems a bit too soft for a key chain. It noticeably bends when I try bending it. I'm sure I can snap it in half if I give it some effort.
If it put it on my key chain it will be banged up beyond recognition in a week or two.

Thanks for the giveaway!!!
Threeme2189
Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

scotland Online Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: 2013 Anniversary "Another giveaway" product review
Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 09:06:23 PM
very glad to hear it all arrived safe and sound, despite the rough handling the envelope has obviously had along the way. :dwts:

I had a SOG micron a few years ago and really rated it. :tu:  IIRC I made up a little cord fob to effectively extend the length.  I ended up giving it as a gift to a guy who had been working for me and had been admiring it. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
The fire steel in the picture is the 2.0 version while the one you got is the original. But apart from the different grips I don't think there are any differences.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

• Absolutely No Life Club
The fire steel in the picture is the 2.0 version while the one you got is the original. But apart from the different grips I don't think there are any differences.

On the new version, the striker has a wistle in the plastic handle, while on the "older" version the striker is just a metal plate.  I also noticed that you got the "army" version, while the one showed in the giveaway seems to be the "scout" version, they work the same, but the army version is thicker so it has about 12.000 "sparks" on it, while the scout version is "only" good for about 3.000 "sparks".

I own the army version myself, be it the new one, but I'm seriously thinking about taking the striker with the plastic handle of the cord, because it just hangs in the way when I place the firesteel in one of the sidepockets of my Leatherman sheath, or inside the sheath of my Spirit Plus.  And you don't really need it because you can get sparks with al lot of things, like the top side of a knife, or even better, the top side of the saw on most multitools.  So I actually prefer the striker on yours, because it doesn't take up as much space as the new one.

P.S.: That SOG Micron is just  :drool:.

il Offline Threeme2189

• No Life Club
  • When in doubt, use a bigger hammer.
Yes it us.
But I'm a bit unimpresses that it came blunt as a nail file...

Sent from my digital communication device using my fingers and a touch screen.

Chuck Norris' preferred iron supplement is rebar.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%