Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

2 years with my Maglite XL50

00 Offline Dtrain

• "Southbound Whatchya Leave Behind Ya?"
2 years with my Maglite XL50
on: July 15, 2013, 05:16:31 PM
I know that it is not the most sophisticated light out there but thought that a few folks would be interested to know how 2 years with my Maglite have gone..I would say well and I would not hesitate to recommend this light to someone needing a Good Solid Light, and I have done just that to several Drivers I share the road with.

Strong Points
1. Decent on Batteries I usually get 2-3 Months of nightly use out of Energizers/Duracells while doing my Hook Ups and PreTrip Inspections
2.Batteries are easy to find and Replace
3.Durable, it has survived several drops from 3-four feet on to the pavement
4.In the Colder Months here in the Great State of Ohio it has road well in the left pocket of my Carrhart Jacket and complimented my Maglite 3 AA LED quite Niceley, I have had no problems accessing the Button with my MechanicsWear Gloves or Gloves of a similar Manufacture
5. While not at Work it does ride nicely in a loose fitting Pants Pocket, although it will print being a bit Bulky.

Weak Points...

1.No Way to attach a Lanyard without jury rigging or making the light Bulkier
2.I would have liked to see the power settings start out at Low then to High, for me at least the low accomplishes what I need it to do and helps extend battery life
3. Checkering like the other Mags versus the ribbing on the XL50 to improve grip when wet
4.possibly the inclusion of a Belt Holster during the initial purchase, but I can understand why one was not. No matter how hard a manufacturer tries no one is completey happy with what comes with to carry the light complains about it and gets something else anyways to carry the light on a belt
5. I would love to have the option to turn the light on via the switch or the head like other Mini Mags it could even act as a safety of sorts to prevent the light being accidently turned on in a Pocket or Bag

Overall I will still recommend this light to others like me who are looking for a reliable affordable light. I will say for the record I am just a Regular Guy when it comes to lights I have never had a lot of experience with higher end lights other than what I read or my Brother being in Law Enforcement has shared with me

Dtrain
"It seemed Like a Good Idea at the Time"

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Re: 2 years with my Maglite XL50
Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 06:29:43 PM
Thanks for your thoughts on the XL50.  About a year ago, I paid about $30 for an XL200 and aside from the lack of lanyard attachment I find it to be one of the best lights ever made.  I absolutely love this light and would recommend it to anyone  :tu:
SAW

us Offline Jailbird

Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 04:35:29 AM
I have an xl50 on my desk at work and use it almost daily. I picked up an xl200 a few weeks ago for camping. I'm very pleased with both of them. I like the 200 for in the pocket because of the lockout feature. My biggest complaint is how sensitive the variable mode is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 04:42:01 AM
I have an xl50 on my desk at work and use it almost daily. I picked up an xl200 a few weeks ago for camping. I'm very pleased with both of them. I like the 200 for in the pocket because of the lockout feature. My biggest complaint is how sensitive the variable mode is.

I actually like the operation of the variable mode, as it goes bottom-low ideal for night reading, to super bright and everywhere inbetween  :tu:
SAW

us Offline Jailbird

Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 05:11:42 PM

I actually like the operation of the variable mode, as it goes bottom-low ideal for night reading, to super bright and everywhere inbetween  :tu:
I fully agree how useful the variable mode is, I just wish it was less sensitive. For me it's difficult to get just the right amount of light. Maybe I just need to spend a bit more time with it. I'm leaving on a 4 day camping trip this Thursday, and the 200 is the main light I'm taking. I will have plenty of time to get used to it then.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD