Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Green Style PS

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Green Style PS
on: February 18, 2014, 07:47:25 PM
I have owned a Style PS for a long time now. It has proven to be a very good tool, particularly when i need to travel by air. I started looking for one in green, and was a little surprised when i realized they don't come in ANY other color but black.

So it looked like a straight forward swap of one handle to make this work, and only required two T6 bits to accomplish.

I started another thread, the 'Mod Fail. The Terrifying Torture of Torx bits' here after messing up two bits trying to take the two Style's apart.
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=50437.0

The screws on the Styles do INDEED have locktite on them. It didn't matter on the first tool I took apart, but I guess on the second, it was enough to mess up the bits. So, taking the green Style CS apart, I heated it with a hair dryer, as much as I could, occasionally stopping to make sure I wasn't melting the plastic panel. When the plastic started feeling even slightly like it was softening, I stopped with the heating, and removed the pin.

I think the most useful advice for reassembly I can possibly give is to put it back together with the plier and scissor head open. Otherwise you're fighting the force of the backsprings to try to get the pin realigned and the handle reassembled.

So, that's it. I got it done. And here it is. To my knowledge, the only green Style PS in existence. Until someone else does it. :D This seems to be to be about the single silliest mod ever, but makes me SO very happy.

And the screwdrivers that finally got the job done (along with the reassembled donor Style CS).

I want to put a final note here. I bought the torx bits I linked to above at Harbor Freight. I took them back, and had no problem at all getting a refund. I'm not sure if I was really to blame for their demise or not, but it was a complete no-hastle return. I got the replacement bits, and was out the door in maybe 15 minutes. I feel very good about the customer service from Harbor Freight, and wanted to give credit where I felt it was due.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Re: Green Style PS
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 08:40:59 PM
Nice, I like it. :cheers:

And I wouldn't call it silly. ;) You wanted a green PS, you made a green PS, it's the MTO way. :hatsoff:

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 09:34:07 PM
Good Job Lynn, glad it worked out in your favor :salute: :tu:.
I'm a total legend..... in my own mind- Herley

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 09:47:17 PM
Not as silly as a mod that's been brewing in the back of my mind for a while which is a Style with pliers and a blade.
Nothing wrong with that, apart from the fact it leaves a Style with two pairs of scissors.

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 09:50:17 PM
Neither of these ideas are silly, I love the attitude here. If something off the shelf doesn't fit the bill, people make it work and that is so great. Cupboard I've been wishing for that from the moment I saw the Styles.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 10:51:34 PM
So, that's it. I got it done. And here it is. To my knowledge, the only green Style PS in existence. Until someone else does it. :D This seems to be to be about the single silliest mod ever, but makes me SO very happy.

I missed out on a green Style PS a few weeks ago, but have no idea whether that's how it left the LM factory or not. 

And I'm definitely not going to criticize you for modding to get what you want, in fact I'm in the process of getting the two tools to do this exact same swap myself  ;)
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 10:58:05 PM
And I'm definitely not going to criticize you for modding to get what you want, in fact I'm in the process of getting the two tools to do this exact same swap myself  ;)
:tu:
Green or another color?

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 12:02:31 AM
Modding is exactly for the reason you did yours, it doesn't have to be complex to make sense its about getting what you want.  Good job and glad HF&T took care of you. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Higgins617

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: February 19, 2014, 12:05:43 AM
Yeah, I've had nothing but good experiences with Harbor Freight, both merchandise and employees.

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 01:30:15 AM
:tu:
Green or another color?

Green.   :D
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #10 on: February 19, 2014, 03:41:42 AM
So... TiN Crosscut and now a green Leatherman Style PS.

Are you just copying me?  :D

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #11 on: February 19, 2014, 08:41:09 AM

Are you just copying me? :D

I don't know, I guess its possible.  Have you also recently acquired these ?   :pok:   

West Marine (by SOG) Mk 1 BlackTip (replaceable wire cutters)
Gerber MP600 yellow
LM PST Japanese hollow rivets
LM PST Pat No 4238862 (old)
Gerber MP650 civilian
Gerber MP600 FPR with grey lock releases
Gerber MP400 T3
Gerber Keychain tool purple (really, really purple)
LM Mini BO
Schrade ST6 sheeps foot blade
SOG Toolclip can opener version
Harley Davidson HD30 (by SOG) with the extravagent leather sheath
Bucktool 360 Harley-Davidson
LM original Super Tool SS CC
LM Micra Portland Trailblazers #7 Brandon Roy
LM Skeletool red, green, orange
LM Squirt P4 pink
Gerber Multi-Lite green lid NIB
Master Mechanic (by SOG) early PPP
Bucktool 360 DLC
E. Behrman L'electric MT
Seaboard Steel MT
Vic Tomo pink
Vic Classic SD "Lobster"
Mini Bear Jaws
Gerber MP400 corkscrew
LM Style CS pink (also destined for a CS to PS conversion)
Fiskars BO Multi-Plier
Stanley Maxedge MT (relabelled SOG PPP)
LL Bean (relabelled TiN Bear Jaws)
SOG Paratool with Blackie Collins sheath
LM Wave orange, green

:facepalm:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #12 on: February 19, 2014, 12:42:24 PM

I don't know, I guess its possible.  Have you also recently acquired these ?   :pok:   

(...)

Go on, Lynn! Say "yes, but not recently. I have them for a while now..."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: February 19, 2014, 12:44:53 PM
Not as silly as a mod that's been brewing in the back of my mind for a while which is a Style with pliers and a blade.
Nothing wrong with that, apart from the fact it leaves a Style with two pairs of scissors.

So?! They're different sized scissors. You can have them for different tasks. It's a multiscissor LM!

:tu: :salute:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #14 on: February 19, 2014, 03:23:02 PM

(...)

Yeah. This. :D

Gregozedobe, I really hope you didn't take my comment as anything but a joke.

And while I would love to have picked up what you have recently, 'marital strife' does not begin to describe what it would have caused. Also-also... I don't NEED to pick them up. I wait for folks to post pics, and live vicariously.

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 04:04:47 PM

Yeah. This. :D

Gregozedobe, I really hope you didn't take my comment as anything but a joke.

And while I would love to have picked up what you have recently, 'marital strife' does not begin to describe what it would have caused. Also-also... I don't NEED to pick them up. I wait for folks to post pics, and live vicariously.

Lyn, yes, taken exactly as intended (a good joke), but in the best of Aussie stirring traditions I felt compelled to respond to your stir with a stir of my own ..... (although my style of humour can be quite dry).

I've tried the vicarious enjoyment thing, but unfortunately while I quite like looking at photos of the great tools other people have, I often feel the need to actually have said tool in my hot little hands to see what it is really like, and this forum is forever revealing new tools to me that I then want (damm you Chako et al !) . 

Collecting MTs is definitely bad for my bank balance, but my missus is reasonably tolerant (some of my past hobbies were significantly more expensive eg modified 4WDs and off-road campers).

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: February 21, 2014, 12:24:38 AM
I started looking for one in green, and was a little surprised when i realized they don't come in ANY other color but black.

Last year at Costco, they had a twin pack with one blue and one red Style PS, but I've never seen a factory-produced green PS.

very nice work! :tu: I did the same thing a few months ago to create a Style PS for my younger son whose favorite color is green. :) (I have the blue one from the aforementioned Costco pack for his older brother.... luckily they have different favorite colors!) they are both too young for blades IMO, so the Style PS is a great fit.

and your advice about putting the tool together with the pliers/scissors in the open position is spot on. :D I spent far too long battling with the backsprings before I figured that out. :facepalm:

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #17 on: February 21, 2014, 02:04:27 AM
and your advice about putting the tool together with the pliers/scissors in the open position is spot on. :D I spent far too long battling with the backsprings before I figured that out. :facepalm:

Yeah... (sigh)... Me too. The reassembly of the second tool, the CS, went much smoother after I figured it out. Let us both hope this thread and our struggles make life easier for someone else in the future.

EDIT: And now, I know my Green Style PS is one of like 3, at least. Oh well, I still like it.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 11:49:59 AM
I managed to get a green and a blue CS and a couple of PS. Maybe I'll try to make the only blue PS.
 :think:

And then I'll find it so nice I won't be able to use it...

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 12:37:08 PM
I managed to get a green and a blue CS and a couple of PS. Maybe I'll try to make the only blue PS.

That might be slightly difficult condsidering that LM did make Style PS's with blue trims  :pok:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 01:43:45 PM

That might be slightly difficult condsidering that LM did make Style PS's with blue trims  :pok:

Should've gotten the red CS, too... Or were they also some red PSs?
 :-\

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

au Offline gregozedobe

Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 02:00:29 PM

Should've gotten the red CS, too... Or were they also some red PSs?
 :-\

I'm afraid that is another genuine LM Style PS colour (in fact there was a special Twin Pack with the blue and the red)  ;)

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #22 on: February 21, 2014, 03:50:00 PM
Hmmm... Yep.
Here's someone selling the 2-pack on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-Style-Tool-Boxes-Compliant/dp/B00A9XMLLO

us Offline sawman

• You're amongst friends.
Reply #23 on: February 21, 2014, 03:57:23 PM
Lynn,

did you use Loctite to re-assemble?
SAW

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #24 on: February 21, 2014, 03:57:37 PM
Must find a different mod. Maybe replacing the file/screw driver in a PS with a blade from a CS...

:think: :think: :think: :think:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Lynn LeFey

Reply #25 on: February 21, 2014, 04:02:57 PM
Lynn,

did you use Loctite to re-assemble?

I didn't. But I also didn't clean all the old locktite off, so the threads have a resistance to turning from that.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $215.83
PayPal Fees: $12.54
Net Balance: $203.29
Below Goal: $96.71
Site Currency: USD
68%