Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Thoughts on the Cadet?

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Thoughts on the Cadet?
on: July 22, 2013, 08:50:49 PM
I'm curious what the general opinion is on the Alox Cadet.  I haven't read much here about it, although I do see pics on occasion.  It has piqued my interest as I am considering getting one.  Now I know I had stated that I had no real reason to buy any more SAKs now that I have my customs, but I'm afraid I may have been wrong :whistle: 

I wanted a red alox SAK before, but never ended up getting one as the only model available was the Cadet, and that's not what I was looking for at the time.  I ended up getting the black Pioneer then.  I could get a red Pioneer, but they are fairly expensive, and it would be mostly redundant with my alox custom Mechaneer.  The Cadet would go nicely with its can opener and nailfile, and it seems small and thin enough that I could manage to fit it into my EDC lineup (perhaps in chest pocket at work, or left back pocket) without it being too intrusive.  I only wish it had scissors as it seems they would make it the perfect urban type SAK to me, especially as a single item carry during the summer when at home in shorts.  However, I don't need the scissors in my normal work week setup as I have it set up to have scissors on me each day between either the MT or SAK in the combo for that week. 

I won't say that I need it exactly, especially considering the Micra or Executive could fill the spot and offer more tools as well (especially scissors), but I think it would be a nice little addition to my lineup.  Anyway, sorry for the rambling as I tend to do ::)  Please offer any opinions/reviews/pics to further convince me that I should get one (come on, I know very well that's what happens around here ;))   
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 08:53:07 PM by Monrogue »
K-Tibbs

us Offline xdalaw

Re: Thoughts on the Cadet?
Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 08:56:38 PM
Hi Monrogue -

I bought one.  (A red one.) 

It's very nice, but too small for me to use.  I got it, opened it, admired it, and put it back in the box where is now sits.

I much prefer my Pioneer or my Farmer.  I'd really love either of those with scissors, but the customs are too expensive for me.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you do decide you want a red one.  ; )

ch Offline Mimifred

Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 09:04:55 PM
For me, the cadet is just the right size...

I use the blade A LOT and the flat screwdriver si very handy... I would rather prefer a scisor over the nail file but the main advantage of the cadet is his thickness. So thin that I can hardly feel it in my jeans pocket.

Therefore, I have a SAK with me every day without even noticing it. Love my cadet.

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 09:09:24 PM
I don't have a Cadet, but I will eventually get around to getting one, I think.

I have a Small tinker, and I love the size of the tool. The blade length is as much blade as I ever need and inspires a good deal more confidence in its security than the blade on a 58mm or a Leatherman keychain size tool.

I think what I really want is an Alox scaled Small Tinker, but i think I could live without the backside awl and phillips.

if you pocket carry, I think the slimness of the Cadet would be excellent.

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 10:45:45 PM
Good one buddy! I personally find myself carrying the cadet a lot more often than my Pioneer. the Pioneer is great but the cadet is such a slim, lightweight and very able little companion when it came to the tasks that usually required bigger tools. I only have the silver alox. but if you can score a red one, that would be so cool
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 10:51:37 PM
I tend to carry the Cadet in situations where I'm a bit more dressed up than usual. Jeans or shorts? I usually carry a larger SAK. Khakis and a sport jacket? Cadet all the way. :tu: Lack pf scissors isn't a problem since my Executive is always on my keys.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk 4 Beta

There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 11:02:31 PM
You just have the bug, like all of us here. It's never enough and there is always a reason for another.
CHEERS

Offline k12cop

Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 11:08:55 PM
I tend to carry the Cadet in situations where I'm a bit more dressed up than usual. Jeans or shorts? I usually carry a larger SAK. Khakis and a sport jacket? Cadet all the way. :tu: Lack pf scissors isn't a problem since my Executive is always on my keys.

+1 I can do two or three layer SAKs in jeans or shorts, but the cadet rules in formal or semi-formal dress...my silver cadet is my "gentleman's" knife

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

au Offline PTRSAK

• No Life Club
  • I'm an Adult?!?! When did that happen?
Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 11:35:04 PM
I have a couple of red cadets, a NIB grooved Cadet II (small blade) and one of the black Danish Cadets.
They are great little knives and as people have said they disappear in your pocket. Great for "formal" carry.
If anything they almost feel too thin when you are using it.

I have plans to add scissors to one of the red ones.
I also have a silver Bantam kicking around and a cellidor Lumberjack which I plan to combine for a Alox Lumberjack.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 11:47:05 PM
I'll go along with opinion here...very easy pocket carry,surprisingly capable.

I've made a deal with my self to buy me one for my birthday every year now.So far its a silver,an orange and a red :gimme:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline cannonball

Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 01:09:31 AM
You need a Cadet. No SAK lover is complete without at least one.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 01:28:45 AM
I saw them in a shop in Bernkastel (Germany) when I was there in April and I thought about buying one, but they seemed a bit to expensive considering a full size tool like the Spirit costs about the same as two of the cadets (I tend to count in Spirits, not in Euros or Dollars  ::)).

Anyway, I'm going back to Germany in August, maybe I'll get one then  ;).

us Offline Lynn LeFey

• Any tool is better than nothing. Some not by much
Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 01:38:15 AM
I understand why Leatherman tools are cheaper in America, but... why are Victorinox cheaper here than in Europe? That makes NO sense to me.

However, I will exploit that advantage to its fullest.

us Offline GigaHz

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 01:52:56 AM
I have a rose one.

Offline Blitzwing

Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 02:23:53 AM
I've got 3, the red and orange without the split ring and one of the hunter green "target"  ones..  I keep grabbing my pioneer first because I like the heft and feel of the larger knife..

I should just sell them since I prefer the larger knives.. But I'd hate to let them go.. ???

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #15 on: July 23, 2013, 02:28:44 AM
Good one buddy! I personally find myself carrying the cadet a lot more often than my Pioneer. the Pioneer is great but the cadet is such a slim, lightweight and very able little companion when it came to the tasks that usually required bigger tools. I only have the silver alox. but if you can score a red one, that would be so cool

Good to hear that they are capable.  Yeah, there are red ones on Amazon and Ebay for $25+or- so that's good.  Red Pioneers however are not available on Amazon (at least in the US that I've found) and $65 on Ebay.
K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 02:46:20 AM

Yeah it would be for while I'm at work or in lightweight clothes like gym type shorts.  Do you carry your keys in pocket or do they hang from a belt or some other method?  I don't carry my keys on me because they're too bulky and awkward in the pocket, and uncomfortable as a result.  Plus there's not really much available real estate in my pockets ;)
K-Tibbs

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 03:07:24 AM
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #18 on: July 23, 2013, 03:25:35 AM
Personal opinion ... the Cadet has a lot going for it, but has too much missing for my tastes. Whilst the Cadet has the makings of being good, I prefer the Sportsman as it adds scale tools and two great back tools. I prefer the Wenger Traveller even more though as it adds scissors  :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #19 on: July 23, 2013, 03:33:36 AM
You just have the bug, like all of us here. It's never enough and there is always a reason for another.

Yeah, I also thing the bug is part of the reason I'm looking at getting one >:D
I saw them in a shop in Bernkastel (Germany) when I was there in April and I thought about buying one, but they seemed a bit to expensive considering a full size tool like the Spirit costs about the same as two of the cadets (I tend to count in Spirits, not in Euros or Dollars  ::)).

Yeah, I bet you figure all your finances in Spirits don't you :pok: 
K-Tibbs

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #20 on: July 23, 2013, 03:44:51 AM
Personal opinion ... the Cadet has a lot going for it, but has too much missing for my tastes. Whilst the Cadet has the makings of being good, I prefer the Sportsman as it adds scale tools and two great back tools. I prefer the Wenger Traveller even more though as it adds scissors  :D

I agree that it's missing things, primarily scissors, but I would have scissors on one of either the SAK or MT I would be carrying along with it.  The only time scissors would be missed is when I'd be carrying only the Cadet, which would actually be uncommon for me.  The only times I think I'd be carrying it by itself would be in light shorts during the summer (and in most of those cases I'd just be here at home anyway, so other MTs/SAKs would be nearby).  I've also found so far this summer that each one of my customs are tolerable in light shorts, but they are also noticeable and bulky, and I'm sure not everyone would put up with that.  The more I think about it, I'm thinking I just want to get one just to have it as a lightweight added piece to my EDC lineup (and technically I don't really need it in that sense).  As colt1911 said, I think I just have the bug >:D

The Sportsman looks nice and has the few extras, and I actually had considered getting the Wenger Traveler a few months ago, but didn't end up pulling the trigger for some reason. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline Bensasupertool

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #21 on: July 23, 2013, 04:43:52 AM

Thats the smartest thing i've heard EVER!!!! :2tu:

« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 04:51:13 AM by Bensasupertool »
CHECK YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR BATTERIES!  Everyone Needs a Halligan Tool.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #22 on: July 23, 2013, 05:02:32 AM

Do you have a Cadet Ben?
K-Tibbs

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #23 on: July 23, 2013, 05:09:07 AM

Do you have a Cadet Ben?

Yeah by the end of the week. :rofl:

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #24 on: July 23, 2013, 05:21:25 AM

Do you have a Cadet Ben?

Ah, so you've already done some recliner shopping huh?
K-Tibbs

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #25 on: July 23, 2013, 05:22:29 AM

You were looking at the last years limited run of colored cadets with pouches, right? Those are far more expensive than the red, black or silver ones.

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #26 on: July 23, 2013, 05:34:25 AM

Do you have a Cadet Ben?

Just lookin,but I keep lookin at that model. Its gonna be the Cadet or an Explorer Plus. I know theres a big difference in tools but that Cadet "pops" for me. Safe to say the Victorinox bug has taken hold.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #27 on: July 23, 2013, 05:46:02 AM

Do you have a Cadet Ben?

Just lookin,but I keep lookin at that model. Its gonna be the Cadet or an Explorer Plus. I know theres a big difference in tools but that Cadet "pops" for me. Safe to say the Victorinox bug has taken hold.

Well I used to have an Explorer until I sacrificed it for my Yeochamp.  It is an awesome SAK though, and was my favorite production model (although I really wanted a Yeoman due to it only having 3 layers and being basically the same thing).  I also had checked out the Ranger at one point as that looks good too.  I would say you can't go wrong with either one, but I wouldn't be surprised if eventually you ended up with both, thanks to that pesky Vic bug ;)
K-Tibbs

Offline NG VI

Reply #28 on: July 23, 2013, 06:28:55 AM
The Cadet was my first Alox SAK and I love it.  Can't convince myself to leave mine home.  A Cadet in any pocket, back pocket if it buttons, watch pocket if I've got one and feel like it, hip pocket so I can get that nice tactile sensation the Alox provides any time I can put my hand in my pocket. 

And a Money Clip anywhere else.  Just discovered these beasties, saw them previously but always thought they were 58mm for some reason and decided the clip would be outrageously proportioned.  Then I got one on the auction place, and I love it.  As much as the Cadet. 

I think the Cadet gives you some outstanding tools, large and small drivers, bottle opener, and the nail file, those are useful for pretty much everyone at some point or another.  Throw a Money Clip on yourself or any of the sick 58mm offerings like the Manager on your keys, and you have scissors covered too.

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #29 on: July 23, 2013, 09:49:31 AM

You were looking at the last years limited run of colored cadets with pouches, right? Those are far more expensive than the red, black or silver ones.

You're right, those were the ones with the brown leather pouch, I thought you guys were talking about those  :-[.  Didn't know the regular cadet came in another color than just plain silver (again ...  :-[).

I haven't seen the "regular" ones in a shop, if I did, I would already have one  ;).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%