Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Thoughts on the Cadet?

00 Offline papercut

• No Life Club
Re: Thoughts on the Cadet?
Reply #30 on: July 23, 2013, 10:17:24 AM
Cadet plus alox classic is super duper (hoping to get an alox rambler for even more duper, but maybe the slightly thicker rambler is too much?).  PTR was nice enough to add scissors to two of my cadets (and a saw to one as well), and they make for even more useful tools.  To be honest, the 58mm scissors do a fine job for my everyday tasks (and might be preferable for some). 

Lately though, the awl on the farmer is the killer tool.  I live in a hot city and sometimes I forget to bring a water bottle for the little one.  On these occasions I have found the awl to be the perfect implement to drill a straw hole into disposable water bottles to make an ad hoc sippee cup.  Much trickier on a cadet as you need to slice and dice. 

In general though, cadet plus classic get the desk jockeys job done while being light and slim (and cheap!).
Lurking with a large collection of sharp knives!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #31 on: July 23, 2013, 10:26:56 AM
Personal opinion ... the Cadet has a lot going for it, but has too much missing for my tastes. Whilst the Cadet has the makings of being good, I prefer the Sportsman as it adds scale tools and two great back tools. I prefer the Wenger Traveller even more though as it adds scissors  :D

I agree that it's missing things, primarily scissors, but I would have scissors on one of either the SAK or MT I would be carrying along with it.  The only time scissors would be missed is when I'd be carrying only the Cadet, which would actually be uncommon for me.  The only times I think I'd be carrying it by itself would be in light shorts during the summer (and in most of those cases I'd just be here at home anyway, so other MTs/SAKs would be nearby).  I've also found so far this summer that each one of my customs are tolerable in light shorts, but they are also noticeable and bulky, and I'm sure not everyone would put up with that.  The more I think about it, I'm thinking I just want to get one just to have it as a lightweight added piece to my EDC lineup (and technically I don't really need it in that sense).  As colt1911 said, I think I just have the bug >:D

The Sportsman looks nice and has the few extras, and I actually had considered getting the Wenger Traveler a few months ago, but didn't end up pulling the trigger for some reason.

That's the problem with the Cadet in a nutshell for me. Whatever I'm pairing it with will most likely have bottle opener and drivers as well as scissors, so all I need is a nice traditional slippie or something like my Byrd Tern. The Cadet doesn't really have a role to play.

I'm not saying the Cadet is a poor SAK, just that I personally would get no benefit from it. There are some people who consider scissors as superfluous (weirdoes  :P) and I'm sure the Cadet would suit them very well, but for me it's like going out and buying one shoe - I'll need to pick up another one to run with it anyway, so I might as well pick up a tried and tested combo and leave the Cadet out of the equation  :-\

The only exception for me is my Leatherman Fuse-ilier mod, which pretty much needs everything a cadet offers as back up - but even then I have a matching orange Case Scout Jr, which fits better in the elastic side pocket of the sheath

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #32 on: July 23, 2013, 03:02:38 PM
I tend to carry the Cadet in situations where I'm a bit more dressed up than usual. Jeans or shorts? I usually carry a larger SAK. Khakis and a sport jacket? Cadet all the way. :tu: Lack pf scissors isn't a problem since my Executive is always on my keys.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yeah it would be for while I'm at work or in lightweight clothes like gym type shorts.  Do you carry your keys in pocket or do they hang from a belt or some other method?  I don't carry my keys on me because they're too bulky and awkward in the pocket, and uncomfortable as a result.  Plus there's not really much available real estate in my pockets ;)

I keep my keys in my pocket.  There isn't a lot attached to them really-keys, Fenix E01, Executive, and a Gerber Shard.  Pretty compact really, though I tend to wear pants and shorts with deep pockets.  I just might not notice them there.  :)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

de Offline crackout

Reply #33 on: July 23, 2013, 03:38:07 PM
A Cadet is great.
A Cadet with scissors even more so. But like people said, if you combine it with a keychain SAK, you'll get the scissors.
Say my name.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #34 on: July 23, 2013, 04:09:10 PM
Personal opinion ... the Cadet has a lot going for it, but has too much missing for my tastes. Whilst the Cadet has the makings of being good, I prefer the Sportsman as it adds scale tools and two great back tools. I prefer the Wenger Traveller even more though as it adds scissors  :D

I agree that it's missing things, primarily scissors, but I would have scissors on one of either the SAK or MT I would be carrying along with it.  The only time scissors would be missed is when I'd be carrying only the Cadet, which would actually be uncommon for me.  The only times I think I'd be carrying it by itself would be in light shorts during the summer (and in most of those cases I'd just be here at home anyway, so other MTs/SAKs would be nearby).  I've also found so far this summer that each one of my customs are tolerable in light shorts, but they are also noticeable and bulky, and I'm sure not everyone would put up with that.  The more I think about it, I'm thinking I just want to get one just to have it as a lightweight added piece to my EDC lineup (and technically I don't really need it in that sense).  As colt1911 said, I think I just have the bug >:D

The Sportsman looks nice and has the few extras, and I actually had considered getting the Wenger Traveler a few months ago, but didn't end up pulling the trigger for some reason.

That's the problem with the Cadet in a nutshell for me. Whatever I'm pairing it with will most likely have bottle opener and drivers as well as scissors, so all I need is a nice traditional slippie or something like my Byrd Tern. The Cadet doesn't really have a role to play.

I'm not saying the Cadet is a poor SAK, just that I personally would get no benefit from it. There are some people who consider scissors as superfluous (weirdoes  :P) and I'm sure the Cadet would suit them very well, but for me it's like going out and buying one shoe - I'll need to pick up another one to run with it anyway, so I might as well pick up a tried and tested combo and leave the Cadet out of the equation  :-\

The only exception for me is my Leatherman Fuse-ilier mod, which pretty much needs everything a cadet offers as back up - but even then I have a matching orange Case Scout Jr, which fits better in the elastic side pocket of the sheath

Right, I know exactly what you mean.  In all honesty, the Cadet wouldn't really serve much purpose in my lineup.  It does have a nailfile (which I'd use and only have the hook nailfile on my Yeochamp) and can opener (which neither of my customs has, and can be a versatile tool outside of its intended purpose).  However, between the diamond files on half of the MTs in my rotation, and the tiny hook nailfile on my Yeochamp, I'm usually covered for that.  Same really for the can opener as pretty much every MT has one in some form, but a Vic can opener is different from a Leatherman can opener in terms of versatility. 

Also, as I think I already mentioned, my Micra or Executive could fill that spot if I really felt the need, and they both have scissors and a nailfile, so they are, realistically, better options.  However, neither if them are red alox either ;)  So I guess I have to choose whether I want the red Cadet, or red Pioneer.  There isn't as much room for a Pioneer though, and it's over twice the cost of the Cadet (and will take me much longer to save up for), so I'm not sure it's really worth it.  I may have to ponder this further... :think:  Oh, and I like that whole orange theme you got going there :tu:  That Fuse looks cool 8)
K-Tibbs

Offline NG VI

Reply #35 on: July 23, 2013, 06:54:26 PM
Red Cadet, it's a regular production item and it won't take nearly as long to save up $25-30 compared to the $4x-60+ the Pioneers are going for.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #36 on: July 23, 2013, 07:24:56 PM
Red Cadet, it's a regular production item and it won't take nearly as long to save up $25-30 compared to the $4x-60+ the Pioneers are going for.

Exactly, and I'm not too patient once I have around $30 saved up as I know there's bound to be something I can find that I want.  Plus I probably wouldn't need the Pioneer as much as the Cadet, although I really don't need either one.  If I was smart and had stronger willpower, I'd just continue saving money until I had enough to get something I know I want/need, and not just hastily buy something just to do so. 
K-Tibbs

Offline NG VI

Reply #37 on: July 23, 2013, 10:32:24 PM

Exactly, and I'm not too patient once I have around $30 saved up as I know there's bound to be something I can find that I want.  Plus I probably wouldn't need the Pioneer as much as the Cadet, although I really don't need either one.  If I was smart and had stronger willpower, I'd just continue saving money until I had enough to get something I know I want/need, and not just hastily buy something just to do so.

You've got a Mechaneer, personally I think you do need a Cadet.  That 84mm Alox is sick, and can go anywhere but the airport.

Offline NG VI

Reply #38 on: July 23, 2013, 10:36:31 PM
And congrats on the baby by the way, just discovered that part of the forum last night!

us Offline Saluki

Reply #39 on: July 24, 2013, 03:42:52 AM
The Cadet is my second favorite SAK, right behind the Pioneer/Alox Soldier.

I am probably more of a knife guy than a multitool guy.  By that I mean that I enjoy carrying a good pocketknife, but don't need a ton of other tools.  The Cadet and Pioneer give me just a few other useful tools, but while retaining the form factor of a nice traditional pocket knife. 

If you have a Pioneer already, you will find the Cadet both very similar and yet very different.  It is similar in the sense that it has most of the same tools, with the only difference being the awl vs. nail file.  Yet in my opinion they have a very different feel.  The Pioneer feels super sturdy and robust.  It has the thickest blade and tools of any of the SAKs.  The Cadet feels much thinner and lighter.

I enjoy both of the knives depending on the situation.  Overall, I prefer the Pioneer because I like the robustness of the knife and find the awl more useful than the file.  However, the Cadet disappears within your pocket and is a great choice with dress clothes.  To me it is very sleek and elegant.  Even more so than the Pioneer.  It is a true gentleman's knife.

The Pioneer is usually my choice when I wear jeans.  When I wear dress slacks or a suit, I carry my Cadet.

I highly recommend having one of each.

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #40 on: July 24, 2013, 05:40:20 AM
The Cadet is my second favorite SAK, right behind the Pioneer/Alox Soldier.

I am probably more of a knife guy than a multitool guy.  By that I mean that I enjoy carrying a good pocketknife, but don't need a ton of other tools.  The Cadet and Pioneer give me just a few other useful tools, but while retaining the form factor of a nice traditional pocket knife. 

If you have a Pioneer already, you will find the Cadet both very similar and yet very different.  It is similar in the sense that it has most of the same tools, with the only difference being the awl vs. nail file.  Yet in my opinion they have a very different feel.  The Pioneer feels super sturdy and robust.  It has the thickest blade and tools of any of the SAKs.  The Cadet feels much thinner and lighter.

I enjoy both of the knives depending on the situation.  Overall, I prefer the Pioneer because I like the robustness of the knife and find the awl more useful than the file.  However, the Cadet disappears within your pocket and is a great choice with dress clothes.  To me it is very sleek and elegant.  Even more so than the Pioneer.  It is a true gentleman's knife.

The Pioneer is usually my choice when I wear jeans.  When I wear dress slacks or a suit, I carry my Cadet.

I highly recommend having one of each.

I used to have a Pioneer, but used it for parts for a custom SAK, my Mechaneer.  Here's a couple pics:

Probably a bit too bulky for your taste though ;)  The Cadet would actually be a decent compliment to it with the nailfile and can opener, and one of the reasons I initially considered getting it.  If it had scissors, it would be an even better companion to my Mechaneer.
K-Tibbs

Offline NG VI

Reply #41 on: July 24, 2013, 05:32:37 PM
A scissored Cadet is all I want.

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #42 on: July 24, 2013, 05:41:49 PM

Me too ...
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #43 on: July 24, 2013, 07:43:07 PM
Yeah, it is lame that they don't put scissors in any of the Alox models.  Scissors just seem like something that should be in a Cadet.  I've noticed that there are no Vics (as far as I know) that have the Knife/nailfile/scissors/openers combo.  Wenger has the Traveler, EvoGrip 16, Evo16, Evolution S14 and Evolution SoftTouch 14, all with that combo.  Why Vic doesn't have anything like that is beyond me as that seems like the most basic and practical EDC SAK, especially for urban carry.  I know the Compact is probably as close to that as Vic gets, but the hook nailfile is a bit tricky to use given its size. 

I've looked at these Wengers in the past and just never ended up getting one for whatever reason.  I know they are obviously larger and especially thicker than the Cadet, but I'm beginning to consider getting one of them.  I would have to figure out where to put it in my rotation, which is always a fun time, and no, I wasn't being sarcastic there :whistle:  It would probably be a good one to carry around homeI also don't own any Wengers at all, so I feel I should own at least one.  Dang bug >:D
K-Tibbs

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #44 on: July 24, 2013, 07:49:06 PM
Yeah, it is lame that they don't put scissors in any of the Alox models.  Scissors just seem like something that should be in a Cadet.  I've noticed that there are no Vics (as far as I know) that have the Knife/nailfile/scissors/openers combo.  Wenger has the Traveler, EvoGrip 16, Evo16, Evolution S14 and Evolution SoftTouch 14, all with that combo.  Why Vic doesn't have anything like that is beyond me as that seems like the most basic and practical EDC SAK, especially for urban carry.  I know the Compact is probably as close to that as Vic gets, but the hook nailfile is a bit tricky to use given its size. 

I've looked at these Wengers in the past and just never ended up getting one for whatever reason.  I know they are obviously larger and especially thicker than the Cadet, but I'm beginning to consider getting one of them.  I would have to figure out where to put it in my rotation, which is always a fun time, and no, I wasn't being sarcastic there :whistle:  It would probably be a good one to carry around homeI also don't own any Wengers at all, so I feel I should own at least one.  Dang bug >:D
Get a stainless traveler. I don't have one, but if it is the same thickness stainless steel scales as the dynasty series then it feels amazing!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #45 on: July 24, 2013, 08:29:28 PM

Get a stainless traveler. I don't have one, but if it is the same thickness stainless steel scales as the dynasty series then it feels amazing!

I had considered that one, but it's considerably more expensive, and I'm not looking to pay a whole lot.  I don't want to have to take a few months to save up for it basically :whistle:  Plus, I'm assuming it doesn't have the toothpick/tweezers due to the steel scales, or am I wrong?  I bet it does feel nice though.
K-Tibbs

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #46 on: July 24, 2013, 08:35:51 PM

I had considered that one, but it's considerably more expensive, and I'm not looking to pay a whole lot.  I don't want to have to take a few months to save up for it basically :whistle:  Plus, I'm assuming it doesn't have the toothpick/tweezers due to the steel scales, or am I wrong?  I bet it does feel nice though.

Oh I didn't even look at the price. :facepalm: i just have a Wenger Gawain I got for $13 and it feels awesome.

Offline Jasta

Reply #47 on: July 24, 2013, 10:33:45 PM
I have a Cadet but find it a little thin for my hand size, looks gorgeous though. Sportsman is my go to knife on a daily basis!

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #48 on: July 24, 2013, 10:45:53 PM

Me too ...

Me three... I am yet to own a alox with scissors.  :(
I'm the milk man!

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #49 on: July 25, 2013, 02:25:59 AM
Ok, so after all of this discussion and debating with myself, I've purchased the Wenger EvoGrip 16 (black/red scaled one).  Totally not like the Cadet at all, but is basically the same tool loadout, only with scissors and the back tools and scale tools.  Plus I love the red/black combo look.  I wanted this one months ago and never ended up getting it.  I figure I should own at least 1 Wenger and this is the one I picked.  I had trouble choosing between the few models I listed in a post above as they're all basically the same with just slight differences, and you know me and decisions here ;)  I almost got the PER edition with the yellow/black scales and locking blade, but I like red better and the PER cost more, so I had to go with the cheaper one. 

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions though, I appreciate it.  Who knows, I may end up with a Cadet eventually anyway.  Darn that pesky SAK bug >:D
K-Tibbs

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #50 on: July 25, 2013, 02:32:23 AM
Excellent choice!  :tu:  The Evo 16 is my regular SAK when I can't decide what I want to carry.  :)  It sees more use than any other model I have.  The only thing I did was to file the tip of the nail file flat to act as a small light duty screwdriver, a la the Classic SD.  I know a number of other people here have done the same thing.  Enjoy the new toy!  :cheers:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #51 on: July 25, 2013, 03:20:17 AM
Excellent choice!  :tu:  The Evo 16 is my regular SAK when I can't decide what I want to carry.  :)  It sees more use than any other model I have.  The only thing I did was to file the tip of the nail file flat to act as a small light duty screwdriver, a la the Classic SD.  I know a number of other people here have done the same thing.  Enjoy the new toy!  :cheers:

Thanks :salute:  I thought it was you actually who had sung the praises of the Evo16 in the past.  It looks like the best urban type SAK, which is more my type of use.  Although by getting it, I feel like I'm "cheating" on my Yeochamp and Mechaneer.  They'll still get their carry time in my rotation, but they'll each end up losing a weekly slot to allow for the new addition to the family :D
K-Tibbs

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #52 on: July 26, 2013, 02:21:22 PM
I like Vic's better because the scales are not so bulkier as the Wenger's.

I like Wenger's better because the scales are not so slippery prone as the Vic's.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Bottom line: any of them is a great SAK to carry around.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #53 on: July 26, 2013, 03:06:49 PM
I like Vic's better because the scales are not so bulkier as the Wenger's.

I like Wenger's better because the scales are not so slippery prone as the Vic's.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Bottom line: any of them is a great SAK to carry around.

That's what it comes down to, both companies make great SAKs.  I haven't handled a Wenger yet, but will soon enough.  It seems though that the common consensus here is that Wengers are great as well. 
K-Tibbs

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #54 on: July 17, 2018, 09:21:11 AM
Lots of familiar faces in this thread.  Awlmost exactly 5 yrs ago... this conversation helped me feel better about getting my 4th Cadet  (though I did sell a few SAKs recently, I guess it left a void :rofl: ..  now it's silver, copper, blue, and red on the way  :facepalm:  :D  :SAKnight:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 09:23:10 AM by El Corkscrew »
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #55 on: July 17, 2018, 11:44:12 AM
Lots of familiar faces in this thread.  Awlmost exactly 5 yrs ago... this conversation helped me feel better about getting my 4th Cadet  (though I did sell a few SAKs recently, I guess it left a void :rofl: ..  now it's silver, copper, blue, and red on the way  :facepalm:  :D  :SAKnight:

Congrats on your 4th Cadet El C! :like: :tu: :tu:

The Cadet is an excellent edc knife!  :cheers: :cheers:

us Offline Myron

• No Life Club
Reply #56 on: July 17, 2018, 01:05:32 PM
The Cadet is my EDC for my Mon-Fri workaday, or if we're dressed nicely and going out it's also my SAK of choice (used to be I'd reach for the Executive).  I keep a Yeoman or Scientist nearby for scissors and scale tools, though, too.  On weekends I put the Cadet in the valet and pick up a Pioneer.  I think I own a half dozen different colored Cadets.  Yeah, it's like that for some of us.

Myron
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 01:06:58 PM by Myron »

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #57 on: July 17, 2018, 02:42:05 PM
I'm another fan of the Cadet.  :tu:

I found it's compact size and slim profile was great for when I was dressed a bit more formally. It just disappears into the pocket and doesn't create a bulge. Same is true of a Classic or Ambassador, but the Cadet's 85mm blade is great for heavier tasks, e.g. cutting strapping open or a sandwich in half.

And the assortment of tools is great: it's sort of an office friendly Pioneer.

True, it's nice to have scissors, but then, in the office I awlways kept a proper set of desk scissors, so that function was covered by a stand-alone tool.  And I valued the slim profile more than I wanted scissors on the knife. If Victorinox came out with a Cadet X, I'd have to get one. But I wouldn't be surprised if the slim Cadet made it's way into my pocket more often.

Even if you have a full-sized multi on your belt, the Cadet makes a a great pairing. It's quick to access and use. And it's another sheeple friendly design to be sure.

And, El Corkie.......

:worthless:

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #58 on: July 17, 2018, 03:21:55 PM
I'm another fan of the Cadet.  :tu:

I found it's compact size and slim profile was great for when I was dressed a bit more formally. It just disappears into the pocket and doesn't create a bulge. Same is true of a Classic or Ambassador, but the Cadet's 85mm blade is great for heavier tasks, e.g. cutting strapping open or a sandwich in half.

And the assortment of tools is great: it's sort of an office friendly Pioneer.

True, it's nice to have scissors, but then, in the office I awlways kept a proper set of desk scissors, so that function was covered by a stand-alone tool.  And I valued the slim profile more than I wanted scissors on the knife. If Victorinox came out with a Cadet X, I'd have to get one. But I wouldn't be surprised if the slim Cadet made it's way into my pocket more often.

Even if you have a full-sized multi on your belt, the Cadet makes a a great pairing. It's quick to access and use. And it's another sheeple friendly design to be sure.

And, El Corkie.......

:worthless:

Nice pic Nix! :like: :tu: :tu:

wales Offline hiraethus

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • I brake for cake
Reply #59 on: July 17, 2018, 03:29:58 PM
I like the Cadet, but prefer the pen blade to the nail file - so would like a Cadet II instead. :dd:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%