Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Triple Birthday Giveaway. Come celebrate with us. :cheers:

enki_ck · 93 · 10275

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Triple Birthday Giveaway. Come celebrate with us. :cheers:
Reply #30 on: July 26, 2013, 03:16:28 PM
The rear scale has a Rooster emblem, and Chinese letters that are unknown in meaning to me.

If you like, post a close up pic and I can have my girlfriend translate it. She studied chinese, so if the words are really in chinese and correctly written you will know it soon. (even if it shows "My cat has hairy balls" or something...)
Here you go. It was tricky getting close enough without losing focus, and generating shadows.
(Image removed from quote.)
Ahhh a classic, it means "Soup is healthy"

Show content
Just kidding, I don't speak/read chinese
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

de Offline HankSolon

Reply #31 on: July 26, 2013, 03:23:31 PM
Here you go. It was tricky getting close enough without losing focus, and generating shadows.

It's very good. :) I showed it to her and it is chinese. But she has got to fetch a dictionary for the first sign. Hope to tell you soon.

(and it's nothing about soup and healthy)

us Offline Monrogue

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Wooooo!
Reply #32 on: July 26, 2013, 03:51:58 PM

First my choice for outdoors carry is a custom stayglow victorinox woodsman with chisel on the saw layer and nail file on the hook. I love the tool loadout because it doesn't have anything I don't use on it. Well, I'll admit I've never removed a cork with the cork screw, but it holds the eyeglasses driver so it is being used! Even the magnifying glass is frequently useful and is also a tool that is fun to use. It also feels cool to have something custom that a billion other people don't have.

Same with my Yeochamp.  I never use the corkscrew for its intended purpose, nor have I used it for anything else (so far) other than to hold the mini driver.  I love the little mag glass as it's fun to use and does come in handy.  And +1 to that last point about having your own unique, custom SAK that no one else has (unless they have the exact same needs/preferences as you ;)).  I'm fairly confident my Yeochamp is unique due to the presence of the fish scaler alone ;)
K-Tibbs

de Offline HankSolon

Reply #33 on: July 26, 2013, 04:15:44 PM
The rear scale has a Rooster emblem, and Chinese letters that are unknown in meaning to me.

If you like, post a close up pic and I can have my girlfriend translate it. She studied chinese, so if the words are really in chinese and correctly written you will know it soon. (even if it shows "My cat has hairy balls" or something...)

It means the Year 2005 after the old Chinese Moon calendar. It's called the year of the rooster.

It's kind a special, because the last one equally to this one was 1945 and the next one will 2065. So this special year is every 60 years.

There are 10 heavenly tribes and 22 earthly branches. It refers to chinese astrology. (it's quite complicated, just search for chinese astrology via google)

The characters mean
1st - Yi {spoken Eee}: 2nd number of the heavenly tribes
2nd - You {spoken yo'}: 10th number of the earthly branches
3rd - Nian {spoken neejen}: Year

So the year 2005 is called {Eee yo' neejen}

Hope this helps you a bit. :)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 04:25:52 PM by HankSolon »

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #34 on: July 26, 2013, 04:20:19 PM
Congrats! Great contest. Here are my (hard to make) 2 choices.

Urban EDC:

Sportsman. I added a micro screwdriver in the corkscrew and a pin inside the scale. Also a small paracord lanyard.

Outdoors:

Forrester. I also have a Farmer but this is used more often. Also with micro scredriver and lanyard.

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

za Offline meanx

Reply #35 on: July 26, 2013, 10:18:57 PM
Happy Birthday guys and thanks for the chance

Urban EDC normally a 2 layered knife and more often than not a Pioneer,I like the robustness of the Alox knives.

for Outdoors I'll carry a 111mm on my belt, and after battling with a Seagull that got strangled in my fishing line when it flew into it,(trying to keep it still and its pecking at you while you try to open a knife with 2 hands) always a OHO Forester 

Rest is not idleness,
and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day,
listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky,
is by no means a waste of time

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #36 on: July 26, 2013, 10:30:25 PM
Another great Give-A-Way and happy Birthday Chaps  :cheers:

When I'm walking the dog in the woods I love my Wenger Mountaineer, great saw!
And 97% of the time I carry my favorite Spartan   
Outdoor.Urban.JPG
* Outdoor.Urban.JPG (Filesize: 89.34 KB)
Everything’s adjustable

us Offline sir_mike

• No Life Club
  • It is what it isn't.
Reply #37 on: July 26, 2013, 10:52:24 PM
Another great giveaway!  Thanks for the chance!  :salute:

For my urban EDC, it is without a doubt this Explorer Plus, which I carry using the attached P-7 clip.  However, once in a great while, if I want something alittle smaller, I will just carry the Super Tinker. (sorry not pictured).

For my outdoors EDC, which is usually just in my yard, I will carry this Swisschamp. Sometimes in the sos kit (just so I can say I carried the sos kit) or I will put it on a P-7 clip (which I am a fan of and like alot). 

Thanks again for the chance! :D
« Last Edit: July 26, 2013, 10:55:39 PM by sir_mike »

no Offline Grathr

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #38 on: July 27, 2013, 09:05:59 AM
Fantastic givaways, and happy birthdays! :cheers:

My urban EDC is my Wenger SI. It can handle most of the problems I encounter on a daily basis.

When going out into the woods i usually carry the OH Trekker. Bigger blade, and the saw comes in handy.

-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #39 on: July 28, 2013, 01:55:57 PM
 :bump:

Don't be afraid. We like all kinds of SAKs and pics. I know some of the first entries were very :drool: worthy and it's hard to follow after that but this isn't a contest for the prettiest picture or best write up, I'll be drawing the winner randomly so everybody has the same chances of winning. Well, only if you enter, of course. :pok:

:D

us Offline cannonball

Reply #40 on: July 28, 2013, 02:13:14 PM
My normal workday EDC is a Cadet, I have several with well worn colored scales I got from Ebay. Red, Green, Copper. I love the look of worn alox.

Camera out of order currently.

do Offline Blade runner

Reply #41 on: July 28, 2013, 03:48:42 PM
Thanks for the givaway, happy birthday!!

For EDC I use a red cadet, is very slim , and have all the tools I need.
For the woods, I carry a Soldier 09, its all I need, with the locked blade and the wood saw.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #42 on: July 28, 2013, 04:23:12 PM
Fantastic givaways, and happy birthdays! :cheers:

My urban EDC is my Wenger SI. It can handle most of the problems I encounter on a daily basis.
That is a fantastic shot!  I might just have to use that as a wallpaper on my phone!  :tu:

br Offline rmagralha

Reply #43 on: July 28, 2013, 05:11:22 PM
My urban EDC a alox classic and outdoors (not necessarily stag horn) a huntsman. ;)

And thanks for another great giveaway!
image.jpg
* image.jpg (Filesize: 220.86 KB)

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #44 on: July 28, 2013, 05:40:07 PM

Thank you all for this fun giveaway :salute:

The Manager,it lives on my house keys.The million dollar Wenger,well,its the million dollar Wenger :D.

The Forester has been finding its way into my pocket when I've had garden work to do.When I've been heading out into the green,I've been taking either the Farmer(I also have two silver ones stashed in emergency bags/pouches),or the 85 Soldier
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

nz Offline zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #45 on: July 29, 2013, 06:22:34 AM
Big shout outs to felinevet and enki for throwing down the giveaway.  :tu:

Urban - Wenger SI
Looks good, has bottle opener and blade, disappears into the pocket.  :tu:

Outdoors - CyberTool 41
A massive amount of tools and only takes up a small amount of room.  :tu:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #46 on: July 29, 2013, 07:40:07 PM
Hi
The "cocoon" I make for many of my knives and pocketable multi-tools from appropriately sized electrical shrink tubing. There are several tips that are necessary to get a perfect fit though, otherwise the knife/tool is hard to extract. PM me for more details, this thread may not be the best place to go into all this.

Maybe you could do an instructable post in another thread here in the Swiss forum. I'm sure other folks would like to see it and try it too. :cheers:

Yes, I thought that might be the way to go. I'll borrow my wife's iPhone (no easy matter, I think it may be glued to her hand) for better pics next time I make one.

Be sure to let us know when and where we can find the tutorial. I have used some pocket knife nylon sheats for my SAKs but I think they deserve a more fitting pouch.

:tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline JAfromMn

• Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #47 on: July 29, 2013, 07:52:27 PM
Urban Wenger ti 2

outdoors Vic farmer
Defend the Hive!!!

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #48 on: July 29, 2013, 08:06:59 PM
My edc would be the Super tinker,  and my big needs (out doors) is my cybertool 41.

Thanks for the chance to win!
20130729_130157 (Medium).jpg
* 20130729_130157 (Medium).jpg (Filesize: 164.46 KB)
If I can help, let me know 

ch Offline victor7000

• No Life Club
Reply #49 on: July 29, 2013, 08:13:34 PM
My urban EDC is my self-modded Pruner with scissors. (with mushrooms  ;))

Outdoor I used a black Forster but I'll exchange it with my new pistache Forester.

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
Reply #50 on: July 29, 2013, 08:21:27 PM
I would have to choose my Compact for my urban EDC while a nice 111mm Hunter model would suffice for a great outdoors model.

Not my EDC Compact but a good photo of a Compact model.

111mm Hunter has great wood saw and gutting blade plus one of only a couple 111mm models that has a Combo Tool!

cs Offline Vladimir

• No Life Club
Reply #51 on: July 29, 2013, 11:32:14 PM
I always carry Alox Classic on my keys as my urban edc:

As for my outdoor Sak I usually carry my Tinker:

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #52 on: July 30, 2013, 12:01:51 AM
In advance, happy birthday, guys! And thanks for the great giveaway!  :salute:

Here's my entry:

For urban EDC, when I don't carry another multi, I usually choose to go light, but I still want to be able to handle the screws I can come across, so here it is:

the TINKER SMALL!

Then, for outdoors:
I'm not the outdoorsie type of man, I do enjoy a walk now and then, stuff like that. But, if I was, or, for me, if I need something bigger, badder, better, I present you:

The Plain Edged, Soldier-uniformed, One Handed Trekker! (PES-uOHT?)
DSC00337.JPG
* DSC00337.JPG (Filesize: 246.3 KB)
DSC00339.JPG
* DSC00339.JPG (Filesize: 249.86 KB)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 12:03:35 AM by bmot »
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

be Offline Top-Gear-24

Reply #53 on: July 30, 2013, 10:56:44 PM
Big thanks for this great giveaway :salute:.

For outdoor carry I pick my Vic Soldier '10. It has a great OHO knife, the well known can opener, a big flat screwdriver that can also be used for prying and last but not least, an awesome saw.

Here's a pic from my Soldier during a hike in the Ardennes in Belgium, we passed Belgium's "highest point" (note the "  " ...  and we cheated, because it's actually 694m, but in 1923 someone made a 6m high stairway to nowhere, just to make it an even 700m, no joke  :-[), so I thought it would be a nice pic, my Soldier on the 700 m stone  ;).

For urban carry I choose my Swisschamp.  I know it's a bulky knife, but what can I say, I like to keep my options open, and in my opinion, the Swisschamp is the only pocket knife that has it all ...

I must confess, I like my Swisschamp so much that I also like it for outdoor use, as you can see on the pic below ... (my Swisschamp during a bike ride this summer).  But it's my most carried SAK, I take it with me everywhere  ;).

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #54 on: July 31, 2013, 01:42:43 AM
An early happy birthday to both Tim an Nikola, and thanks for a great giveaway!  :cheers:  As for my entry, for urban use, my Evo16.

Great scissors, a good blade, locking flat screwdriver, and the can opener makes for an excellent scraper/scorer/GPPK (general purpose pokey thing).  It even opens cans!  :)  The nail file is more useful than I would have thought, and I filed the end of it flat to serve as a light duty small flat driver.  The backside Phillips has never bothered me.  In the woods, like many people here, my choice is a 111mm Vic, in this case my OH GAK.

Being a lefty, the lock has never bothered me one bit on this knife.  The forward serrations on the blade make good sense once you give them a try.  The can opener is great as usual, and that massive locking flat driver can be used for all sorts of prying.  And, of course, one of the best saws ever put on a multitool!  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

de Offline duder

Reply #55 on: July 31, 2013, 11:47:09 AM
Thanks for the Chance !

My urban EDC is a Trail Guide. It has all a Compact has plus a metalsaw for harder materials (metal, plastic, wood).
Outdoors a GAK is ok, it`s lightweight and solid.
EDCs.JPG
* EDCs.JPG (Filesize: 140.02 KB)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 01:30:44 PM by duder »

us Offline TN42

Reply #56 on: July 31, 2013, 02:41:27 PM
Thanks for the giveaway guys!

My favorite urban SAK is my blue alox MiniChamp.

I like it because it's tiny, barely noticeable on my keychain. With the alox scales it's  about the same thickness as a Classic, but with 3 times the tools. It has just about every tool you could want on a SAK that size. Plus it's cute, tiny, and blue, so not very intimidating in an urban setting.

My favorite outdoor SAK is my Alox Pioneer Rancher.

Not my picture, knife is at home

I love the strong blade on this. Alox knives all seem to have really beefy blades and this is no exception. The awl is also great for scraping firesteel. In the future I might like to upgrade to something with a few more tools for outdoor use, but for now this is a great size and weight with good functionality too.
~Cody

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #57 on: July 31, 2013, 04:10:13 PM
I have a bunch of SAKs to choose from, but lately I end up taking the cybertool 34 for urban carry.  I still would prefer an alox mod with these tools, but in the mean time this fits the bill.

For woods/camping a wenger ranger for sure.  Longest saw you can get on a SAK.

PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

pt Offline RamoN

Reply #58 on: July 31, 2013, 05:01:34 PM
Well i actually have an all situation combo

Both have great pliers but very different.

So in ubran situtions: I carry my swisstool in my belt because its slimmer, has a smaller less scary knife (for other people), great pliers that i need often whenever i fix something and urban required tools like can opener, corkscrew, bottle opener, scissors, phillips, etc. On this situations the wenger goes in my waistbag or backpack.

In outdoors, i switch and carry the ranger on my waist and the swisstool goes to the bag, i prefer to have a one hand open really good knife (which is even capable of batoning), a bigger quicker saw, the wenger can opener which works on a big variety of situations unlike the vic one, a great awl for drilling anything, the file i find more use for in outdoor situations and the wenger bit driver which is a torque monster compared to any other bit driver i know.

But as you can see both offer a very wide array of tools with only the saw being somewhat redundant. So cant leave home without any of them.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 05:04:01 PM by RamoN »

gb Offline Ross

Reply #59 on: July 31, 2013, 08:47:23 PM
First all Happy Birthday all and what a great give away - If I am not to late I am going to post my two choices  :cheers:

First of all my EDC at home is my 08 11 Soldier - I uses this everywhere in the house and garden and the say is just a power house

Then my Urban choice is the Deluxe Tinker  perfect size and weight and just perfect (for me anyway lol :tu:)

S0811.jpg
* S0811.jpg (Filesize: 363.1 KB)
DT.jpg
* DT.jpg (Filesize: 353.76 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91