Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Naked and Afraid

meanx · 16 · 3643

za Offline meanx

Naked and Afraid
on: July 25, 2013, 09:33:58 PM
Anybody following the show on Discovery? apart from the ridiculous naked side of the show(I really can't see how you can end up like that in the wild) it makes for some good watching,and interestingly it seems as if the women folk makes better survivors than the men.
Rest is not idleness,
and to lie sometimes on the grass under trees on a summer's day,
listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky,
is by no means a waste of time

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Re: Naked and Afraid
Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 09:50:27 PM
this was the first I'd heard of this program  :tu: my kind of viewing thanks for the heads up :hatsoff:
BUT when doing a search to find out more I found this first
 http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2348389/EXCLUSIVE--Naked-Afraid-FAKE-Survival-contestant-secretly-given-IV-drip-baby-food-getting-ill-eating-turtle--viewers-told.html
not that I give a smurf, it's all interesting survival stuff. very much like the Ed Stafford "Naked and marooned" program aired not so long ago which was good watching !
any idea if/when it's on in the UK ?

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 09:51:41 PM
I have been watching it. It's a decent show, but your right about the unlikely-hood of being stranded in the wild naked. It does seem the women make better survivors and most of the men on that show have the macho male ego which really bothers me.
I'm the milk man!

za Offline meanx

Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 10:21:10 PM
I think they succeeded in getting this at least 95% real which says a lot for reality TV. Personally I think its ok to get medical help,it is after all only a TV show and there's no need for someone to die,and I agree about the men,but the nice thing about that is how they are brought back down to earth by the ladies, especially that guy on the Maldives Island,he was taught a lesson or two by that girl from Hawaii.
Rest is not idleness,
listening to the murmur of the water, or watching the clouds float across the sky,

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 10:31:24 PM
I've read many true survival stories and it's not uncommon for the women to live while the men perish  :o
often it's poor decision making, either because of stress or macho thinking (thanks Bear !  :P)
but also women are (tend to be) smaller and need less calories/water etc. etc.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 11:27:00 PM
Never heard of it till now. You guys got me interested. :tu:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 04:15:19 AM
They are allowed one item? I know what I would take....my BG survival belt!  :rofl:
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 05:19:42 AM
Yeah I've been following it, some of these people I'd like to reach threw the tv and smack them! Of course reason pending :D JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 03:15:31 PM
I was not aware of this show...watching too much Netflix lately to watch TV. This is a new low for "reality TV" don't you think?

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 03:27:00 PM
I watched the first one.  Good show.  :tu: It definitely feels more realistic.  Many days pass and it rains, and nothing happens.  21 days is quite awhile to survive like this too. 
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 03:37:22 PM
Yeah, I guess I will have to try and catch this show in the future.

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 26, 2013, 03:37:55 PM
the problem, as I see it, for TV producers is that although there is an interest in all things *survival* (and therefor a $ to be made) SURVIVING in it's self is NOT a spectator sport, quite the opposite, it's usually very boring to watch ! much like "fishing" (which I love BTW) once you've covered the basics of 'kit' 'techniques' and the suchlike, the rest is a lot of doing nothing till something happens ! which is not great TV (enter Mr Gryllis !   :whistle:) but if you invent too much or set things up for the camera you run the risk of being accused of being 'Fake'  :facepalm:

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 03:43:24 PM
I haven't watched the show...but doesn't sex sell? It is the only reason I can come up with for the nakedness part. Which is why I said it is a new low for "reality TV". But I will have to watch the show to see if I am right or wrong on my opinion. So far, it looks like a cheap shot to me though. Time will tell.

za Offline meanx

Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 04:24:53 PM
I've only watched the first 3 episodes and in all of them everything is blurred out anyway, so the naked part is obvious just for "selling the show" at least in this one they need to get their own food and are allowed to kill animals in doing so,which is the most important part of survival,not crawling on your knees looking for worms and eating rotten meat.
Rest is not idleness,

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #14 on: July 26, 2013, 04:25:26 PM
I watched the first three now and find it ok. The "private parts" are all blurred out so no sexy scenes ;) but it does look much more real than most of the "reality" survivalist shows we saw so far. I mean the candidates lose cca 30pounds/ 14kg on average in the 21 days. :o Doubt they would do that if the camera crew helped them with food and such. I agree that in medical emergencies the crew has to step in as we've seen in episode two.

Show content
Losing a foot for a TV show? That would be reality TV going way too far.

Also multi sighting. :D The doc that came to check on the foot seem to have a Gerber sheath on his belt.

And the male candidate had a Ka-Bar Black Tanto 1245 with him. I thought it strange to pic a Tanto tipped blade but a stronger tip for prying the bark off for making sandals was good.

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #15 on: July 26, 2013, 05:12:55 PM
The "private parts" are all blurred out so no sexy scenes ;)
:facepalm:

Guess there's no reason to watch now.  :rant:   :rofl:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69