Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Crossbow?

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Crossbow?
on: July 28, 2013, 12:13:09 PM
A friend of mine asked me for some help picking out a crossbow- neither of us have been in the crossbow market for a while so I thought someone here could help.

He's recently bought a cottage and would like a crossbow for hunting deer and any other opportunities he may have.  He's willing to spend between $500-1000, but isn't really certain what features he should be looking for, so any advice is welcome.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Re: Crossbow?
Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 01:34:21 PM
Crossbow Eh,

Jeez.....those things now literally scare me stiff.
I had two in my youth, ones still in the loft the original break action Barnett commando made famous in the bond movies. The prod (is that the correct term) had been reduced in girth before it came to me. I'm guessing it was for easier cocking action,. The result was it was pretty crap, never got round to buying the replacement.
As for the other one.......
I don't even recall the name except I paid almost $500 for it 25 yrs ago. It was a BEAST!!  A Sidewinder crossbow!! The bolts if I remember were something like 20" long. It came with telescopic sights and a heavy woven canvas cover. My parents at the time had acquired some old farm buildings and I took the them both there to try out. The target was whatever I could find, I think it was an old barn door.
Having loaded the Barnett I aimed at the door and squeezed the trigger the bolt arched through the air and stuck in the door. Hmm, pretty naff!!
Next up was the Beast....lol, I cocked it, which due to the pulleys was ridiculously easy first impressions were "What have I bought" I aimed at the door and pulled the trigger..... Heard a crack but saw nothing. Walking closer to the door I could see blue stain  left by the bolts flights - yep it had passed straight through and was stuck in an old horses yoke hung at the far side of the barn. I couldn't believe the power.
I removed the bolt and went back outside and walked as far away as I could from the barn door, it was then I noticed an old 50 gallon oil drum stacked on top of some old farm implements. Laughing, I aimed at the drum and fired this time I did see it !! The bolt flew through the air in what looked to be an almost straight path, no arcing. Hit the drum, flipped it and embedded itself in the barn wall behind it. The bolt was ruined, the shaft had concerteened itself on impact.
Needless to say I soon got rid, sold it to a mate whose uncle was supposedly a game keeper - I did hear a tale not long after of a game keeper who had supposedly turned a deer over at 100 yds with a crossbow, my mate swears it was his uncle but the story was never verified.

Crossbows, lethal things silent and deadly.
I don't claim to know it all, but what I do know is right.

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 01:45:31 PM
I will own one some day. Looked many times but never pulled the trigger. I'm torn between compund and cross. A crossbow would be wicked cool, but compound is just less hassle to reload, etc, and generally less expensive.

That's all the input I have and have contributed nothing of value to the discussion  :D

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #3 on: July 28, 2013, 02:10:44 PM
To get you started...

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Crossbow-Buying-Guide/659/g.html

If I was looking for a crossbow. I would get one of those reverse style crossbows. Not only do they look weird (a big plus for me), apparently they have some real good advantages over the older traditional style.

I would get a scorpyd crossbow. But then, I am a bit adventurous when it comes to archery gear.

http://www.scorpyd.com/
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 02:46:38 PM
I havent owned one in 20 yrs, and then it was an all wood an iron crazy old thing from the 40s.  Fun though. :D

I always wondered how those break action cock style ones worked.  I love the idea, but never tried one.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 02:48:10 PM by Syph007 »
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

us Offline Outback in Idaho

• Not all those who wander are lost.
Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 08:43:23 PM
  Barnett was the first leading crossbows in my youth. They have come a long ways in technology.

I remember buying a pistol one similar to one seen in the Mad Max movies. Those were not very accurate.

There are reverse draw crossbows out too.
¬ Outback in Idaho

Behind every mask there is a face, behind that a story.

ca Offline Syph007

• Global Moderator
  • SAK Surgeon
Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 09:00:59 PM
Ha, I wonder how many xbow pistols tina turner sold. I had one as well after watching mad max. :D

Cant find an exact pic but something like this.

I lost all the little bolts for it rather quickly and I dont know what ever happened to it.
PM me or email sakmodder [at] gmail . com if you are looking for custom SAK work.

Modding thread : Here
Facebook : SAKModder
Instagram : robertjlessard
Youtube : www.youtube.com/robertjlessard

england Offline Metal Mickey

Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 09:05:28 PM

Needless to say I soon got rid, sold it to a mate whose uncle was supposedly a game keeper - I did hear a tale not long after of a game keeper who had supposedly turned a deer over at 100 yds with a crossbow, my mate swears it was his uncle but the story was never verified.

Don't want to appear a party pooper, but just for the benefit of anyone who doesn't already know - it is illegal to hunt with any form of bow in the UK.
Better safe than sorry  :tu:

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 09:14:22 PM

Don't want to appear a party pooper, but just for the benefit of anyone who doesn't already know - it is illegal to hunt with any form of bow in the UK.

I thought crossbows were now illegal full stop here in the UK. As for the hunting bit.....don't know if that was the case 25yrs ago??

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 09:38:02 PM
We have a crossbow section at the gun club...the low draw power one needs 75yrds to play with :ahhh

The big one(100 odd lb draw) thumped thru two of the big straw butts our archers use...we're still looking for the bolt :ahhh
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

england Offline Metal Mickey

Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 09:45:54 PM

I thought crossbows were now illegal full stop here in the UK. As for the hunting bit.....don't know if that was the case 25yrs ago??

Still legal for target use etc as far as I know.
Bow Hunting is banned by the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (but that Act replaced various other Acts and consolidated some of them - so I don't know whether it was already banned before that time   :think:
edit: according to this thread  http://www.archeryinterchange.com/f16/bow-hunting-illegal-why-29200/ it was 1963. Theremight be useful info in that forum for the Op as well maybe?
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 10:07:20 PM by Metal Mickey »

gb Offline tosh

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 28, 2013, 10:02:07 PM

I remember buying a pistol one similar to one seen in the Mad Max movies. Those were not very accurate

OMG!

I had one of those too - was it called the Trident?? I swapped a pair of ice skates for it. Lol, I remember shooting a bird think it was a pigeon....... the bolt bounced off its chest and the damn stupid bird just carried on!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 02:53:53 AM
Thanks for the help folks- I think he's figured out what he wants.  Of course, any more info you may want to share would be welcome.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 06:37:09 AM
For some reason I missed all this crossbow talk. I own a Ten Point Pro Elite crossbow and hunt deer and turkey with it every year with much success. There's a lot to talk about when selecting a good crossbow Def.
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 07:18:20 PM
For some reason I missed all this crossbow talk. I own a Ten Point Pro Elite crossbow and hunt deer and turkey with it every year with much success. There's a lot to talk about when selecting a good crossbow Def.

Somehow,the picture of you stalking game with a crossbow,whilst disturbing,isn't one bit surprising :pok:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 09:35:29 PM
Somehow,the picture of you stalking game with a crossbow,whilst disturbing,isn't one bit surprising :pok:

>:D >:D >:D :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Terry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 11:01:51 PM
Thanks for the help Terry, but I think he's decided on a nice recurve crossbow.  I can't remember which one he said, but if he has any further questions I'll be sure to send him your way.

Def

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: August 02, 2013, 11:49:50 PM
if money were no object I'd love to have one of these; http://www.todsstuff.co.uk/crossbows/windlass-crossbows.htm

:drool:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: August 03, 2013, 01:23:28 AM
Your daughter doesn't really need to go to university, does she?  :D

That's beautiful!

Def

Sent from a digital multitool

us Offline stealth007s

Reply #19 on: August 03, 2013, 09:39:47 AM
Thanks for the help Terry, but I think he's decided on a nice recurve crossbow.  I can't remember which one he said, but if he has any further questions I'll be sure to send him your way.

Def

I'm here to assist :salute:

Terry

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #20 on: August 03, 2013, 06:17:53 PM
Might just get one before they become illegal...
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56