Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Are LED scales transferable?

Offline NG VI

Are LED scales transferable?
on: July 30, 2013, 07:23:51 PM
Hey all, I was just wondering if I could replace the sneaky red LED scales (or bulbs, I'm not picky) with the useful white ones?  Can I order replacements somewhere or would I be stuck getting donor knives?

Thanks for the help!

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Re: Are LED scales transferable?
Reply #1 on: July 30, 2013, 09:56:22 PM
Should be pretty easy, but some small investigation would be warranted.  The forward voltage and current requirements of white LEDs can be quite different than red LEDs.  So a different battery and/or resistor may be required if you swap to a white LED for maximum performance.

Offline NG VI

Reply #2 on: July 31, 2013, 12:11:20 AM
That makes sense, I think I might have seen Vic offering different batteries by color.  I'm thinking the easiest way to get a white LED will be a sacrificial Swiss Lite.  Just hoping the scales will survive the operation!

Offline mikeells

Reply #3 on: July 31, 2013, 02:50:09 AM
The LED scales can be swapped just like any others as long as you are careful removing them.

As far as swapping white LEDs for red, I've done it by desoldering the red LED and soldering in
 a white one, but I have yet to find one as bright as the original Vic white LEDs. The factory
 whites do take a larger battery than the reds, and I suspect that like Icanfixthat suggested
,the resistance built into the circuit is different as well.

What I would like to try would be to transplant some of these LED lights into the scales of some of the larger models. has anyone ever done this?

Offline NG VI

Reply #4 on: July 31, 2013, 02:53:35 AM
A Sportsman Lite?

A Sig Sport Lite?

Sounds awesome to me!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30