Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My sons first mt

Offline 21productionz

My sons first mt
on: August 01, 2013, 04:26:33 PM
So I let my son pick between all my mts for his first one. He was having trouble deciding between the SOG PowerAssist and a Surge #soproud he chose the leatherman, but he wanted to SOG pouch. Funny cause I took the SOG pouch for my leatherman and didn't want to give it up.

I'm corrupting him at an early age. So awesome having a kid to corrupt. He is 15 and at work with me for he first time as my new helper. #tear I'm so happy today, please tell me somebody gets it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Re: My sons first mt
Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 04:45:16 PM
That's great that you're passing on the multitool love to your son. I remember my first SAK. If only I didn't lose it as a kid! :)

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 05:03:58 PM
I get it,

My kids are 8 and 9, and I got them a knock off SAK to start (learn knife safety with something that cannot cut as good.)  :facepalm:

however, I do plan on getting them a real SAK as soon as I feel they are ready.   :climber:

my Wife still thinks I am retarded for having more than one multitool.

I would agree with her, but then we would both be wrong  :ahhh
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline cowsmilk

• I've got your milk right here!
Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 05:52:27 PM
I got a really good price on 3 swiss champs late last year. Gave them to my three older boys for Christmas 2012. They were ecstatic! I sent them out in May to get some different scales, and to have the blades etched with their names. Turned out really good.
I'm Moobile, Baby!!!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 05:57:42 PM
rite of passage in many respects   :tu:.  a father being able to take his son to work show him what it mean to put in a days work, shoot the ish with him at lunch, how to handle tools and customers etc etc etc.  the cool part is starting the day off with his own tool at his side and a great one at that.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline detron

Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 06:57:07 PM
I got a really good price on 3 swiss champs late last year. Gave them to my three older boys for Christmas 2012. They were ecstatic! I sent them out in May to get some different scales, and to have the blades etched with their names. Turned out really good.

can I ask where you sent them to get this done?

Offline grids7

• New User
Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 07:13:22 PM
Nice going, Dads!  I'm looking forward to sharing my appreciation of MT with my *daughter* when she's a bit older.  Anyone considered or actually given something like the Leatherman knifeless Fuse to your kids?

gb Offline farrierphil

• Game over man, game over!
Reply #7 on: August 01, 2013, 07:32:07 PM
My sons preschool teacher let kids use REAL scissors and not those plastic, round edge ones, supervised of course. I give it to her, her pupils never lost any fingers. So my sons 7 now and had his Leatherman Kick for 3 years. OK its not razor sharp and hes always under my supervision when in use. He knows about knife safety and is competent with it. He used it for taking tacks off roofing felt on the dogs kennel the other day.

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #8 on: August 01, 2013, 07:45:35 PM
while I have not handed down any tools to any of my descendants, I have basked in the joy of being given one by my gramps and I still remember how it felt til this day
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 08:08:47 PM
I gave my son his first MT when he was 14. It was an original Super Tool. Good stuff there man :tu:
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

us Offline Breezy12

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 01, 2013, 08:22:59 PM
Nice going, Dads!  I'm looking forward to sharing my appreciation of MT with my *daughter* when she's a bit older.  Anyone considered or actually given something like the Leatherman knifeless Fuse to your kids?

I gave my oldest son a Leatherman Style PS for his 5th birthday about a year and a half ago, and he loves it.  He loves being able to have a Leatherman "just like Daddy", and I smile with pride every time I see him working on something and then exclaiming, "I know -- I'll go get my Leatherman!"  :)  he mostly uses the scissors, but occasionally gets some use out of the pliers and/or tweezers as well.

My younger son turns 4 at the end of the month... he can't wait to "get a Leatherman just like big brother", but I'm still trying to decide if he's ready for it.  I think he might need to wait until he's 5, like his brother did.  Of course, his big brother has already started asking when he can have one with a knife blade...

Offline 21productionz

Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 03:58:58 AM
Hehe, my son fell asleep on the way home (exhausted). And today was a light day.

But he wants more punishment tomorrow "that's my boy" #somygodproud

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 07:00:00 AM
Anyone considered or actually given something like the Leatherman knifeless Fuse to your kids?

Not really, as I think pliers and screwdrivers can be plenty dangerous, and when a kid is responsible enough for a tool like that, they are are responsible enough for an actual knife blade IMHO.

us Offline Bensasupertool

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 07:25:33 AM
I cant wait for the day when my little man gets his first multi. He'll be two on sunday. Got a few more years to wait. He gets a kick out of the sheaths. He'll say "busted" when he rips open the velcro. :)
CHECK YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR BATTERIES!  Everyone Needs a Halligan Tool.

Offline 21productionz

Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 12:30:04 AM
He found out how sharp the blade is today

Super glue to the rescue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 12:33:58 AM
 :rofl: yeah, my older one got his last year and well it didnt take long for him to test how sharp it was either, well, maybe about a month :twak: JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline detron

Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 12:54:39 AM
Sorry about the cut,  but I do know a lesson learned the hard way, is one that stays with you.

de Offline Shorty66

Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 12:56:44 AM
I don't get people which give non locking knives to their children. They ought to get some cuts off their knives but it's no fun to get your finger cut in half by a SAK under pressure.
Glad you gave him your surge - it's an awesome tool and that kid surely knows what's best ;)
I'm looking forward to havng my own kids which mght also like MT's.... i will post here on that day ;)

PS: The cut looks brutal from the blood but he will get over it and love his MT again (as we all did)
T - `cause i like tea :)

tw Offline SebastienLoo

Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 12:58:16 AM
WOW... This brought me gooooood memories! I still remember the day my father gave me my first multi tool. It also didnt take me too much to test how sharp it was. But I guess this is really common in our community :)

Best luck with your kid!
Hello! My name is Sebastien! Me and my Dad just started a new website project to help you find the
Best Multi Tool for your needs. You are welcome to leave us a comment!

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 02:06:04 AM
Aw, it's a love bite!  My Spydercos do that to me, usually within 10 minutes of getting them out of the package.....  :)
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 03:22:42 AM
he probably looked at the blood and was like " heck ya".  i been around kitchens and even the most skilled chefs cut themselves.  its all part of the learning process in some regard and learning healthy respect for your tools.  i just wonder what mrs 21 is gonna say tho  :D
Esse Quam Videri

Offline 21productionz

Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 04:57:54 AM
Lmao. He was like "I think I cut myself"................" yeah I'm bleeding "..............." uh there's a lot of blood over here"

Then I had to go search for the unbeknownst to me non existent first aid kit I have used in NEVAR.

Superglue is awesome.

Mrs (ex) 21 was all "what did you put on it"

Me "superglue"

Her "no on the cut"

Me "superglue"

Her "what kind of antiseptic did you put on it, like neosporin, alcohol, peroxide"

Me "superglue........ Oh yeah and water :whistle:"

I love my life.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 05:49:16 AM
 :rofl:  that's awesome.  antiseptic??? water!!!  fricken awesome  :salute:

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Bensasupertool

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 06:36:58 AM
@21pro  :rofl: :tu: Good stuff man.
CHECK YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR BATTERIES!  Everyone Needs a Halligan Tool.

au Offline TheDude

• "What is the riddle of steel?"
Reply #24 on: August 14, 2013, 07:36:52 AM
That's really cool man. Especially the taking him to work with you thing. I can't wait to give my son his first tool. I have even picked it out. But he is not getting it for at least 3 years as he is still a toddler. Thought about getting him a toy one in the mean time. But that would be more like a present for me than him.
Well said above there somewhere. I think its when they are ready for it. And that will be different for every kid.
I got my first knife when I was about 8 or 9 I think. Small hand-me-down grandfather folder that my much older cousin gave me. Very cool. I'm pretty sure I lost it within a year. My Mum was not too keen on things like that. So more likely it had found its way onto a high shelf somewhere out of eye sight.
If she knew my focus then turned to home made explosives after that, she never would have hid it from me. Via some miracle I still have all my fingers and facial hair. But that's another story. 
Eventually even McGyver got himself a Leatherman

Offline 21productionz

Reply #25 on: August 14, 2013, 11:33:37 AM
Lmao. Yeah my rule is 10 for a throw away knife that can't cut your finger off and I'll decide when you're ready for a real knife based on observations.

My 9yo daughter is  constantly bugging me to reduce the legal age in casa de la 21

Offline 21productionz

Reply #26 on: August 14, 2013, 11:38:02 AM
I'm actually upset with myself. I forgot to tell him to rub some dirt on it and get back to work.

He is an all star baseball player (all the coaches in the area fight over him for travel ball and the like.

My favorite coach in his past...... One day my son got hit in the mouth with a wild bounce, and he was bleeding profusely. Coach looked at him, made sure his teeth were intact and said "rub some dirt on it and get back on first"

Dad "hell yeah, tell him coach"

Mom "what the!!"

I'm a firm believer in "whatever doesn't kill/maim you only makes you that much more if a badass"

« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 02:01:04 PM by 21productionz »

no Offline Grathr

Reply #27 on: August 15, 2013, 06:53:32 PM
My son is still a bit too young (2).
I got my first knife,a mora, at age 5 from my father, and first MT , a fake SAK, at age8 from my Grandfather.

Teaching the kids to use knives and tools properly is essential in my mind. It will definitly serve them well later in life.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #28 on: August 15, 2013, 08:01:32 PM
I was 4 when I got my first set of tools. :D

I kept borrowing my fathers and grandfathers tools so they decided to buy me my own set. When I had my tonsils removed at age 3 my mother had to promise me she'd buy me a whole bag of nails so I'd be good to the nurses in the hospital. ;) If you teach children how to use the tools properly from a young age, they are less likely to fear them and hurt themselves with them. They'll get hurt either way though but that's a learning process we all have to accept.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: August 15, 2013, 09:08:37 PM
I was given my first SAK aged 6, and looking back I have no idea how my dad managed to get that past my mum. Hey ho! It has been well used and loved.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%