Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ranger Band Carry - DIY Minimalist Tool Retention

comis · 29 · 19472

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Ranger Band Carry - DIY Minimalist Tool Retention
on: August 02, 2013, 08:25:27 PM
Hi, all.

I work at an office setting, and usually wear Polo shirt and khaki pants for work(sometimes suit and tie if meeting important clients/investors).  Carrying a pouch for multitool or knife is probably something that would be frowned upon, so for a long time I have wanted something that is discrete and minimalist.

I happened to have some ranger band(basically bicycle inner tube) laying around, and I figured maybe I should try to make something of my own to see what I could come up with.  I will let the picture do most of the talking  :D

Cut a piece of ranger band(or bicycle inner tubing), longer than your tool and the inner diameter a bit smaller than the width of tool

Put the tool on and draw the shape of the tool on the tube, then cut a window which you would retrieve the tool from.  I place a metal ruler under the window before cutting out the window, to prevent cutting into other materials underneath. :o

For Swisstool Spirit, the window length I cut is approximately 2 inches(so that would leave approximately 1 inch on each side to retain the tool).  The tools for this job are simplp--a sharp cutter, a ruler and a maker.  Scissors to trim or you could use your multitool scissors.  ;)

Even though it was designed for Swisstool Spirit, but it carries Swisstool just fine.  I jumped, twisted, swinged and the tool won't come off. :woohoo:

Putting the polo shirt over it, no protruding or profiling to give away what's underneath

lead forward a bit, with the shirt folding sideways, it is difficult to tell

Sideway

With hand tugged in underneath it

SAK GAK also fits, but might be a little loose at the narrow end.  Might need to find smaller diameter tubes for this knife.

Carrying my favorite MT, Swisstool Spirit.  Retrieving the tool is super easy, just pull on the band to the side to release one end, and wiggle the other end out.  Putting it back in might need a little more effort, but an Ok price to pay for minimalist carry method.  :D

Comparing to a conventional LM Charge TTi pouch which could also be carried sideways, the LM pouch is beefier but also much bulkier. 

Carrying a leatherman Charge TTi

As a comparison, I put the Charge TTi in its pouch and carried it sideway

The picture don't show too well, but definitely you could tell there is bulk underneath the shirt, especially when you are moving around.  :facepalm:

I don't know whether this kind of carrying method has been done in the past, but if I were the first, I would name it 'under belly carry' since the belly kinda helps to conceal this whole thing.  But I end up calling it ranger band carry so people won't mistaken I using my belly to grip the tool, which kinda groused.  :D   Basically this DIY could cost nothing if you could find free wasted bicycle inner tubing, I remembered reading somewhere that people sometimes could find it in REI or any shops that repair bicycle.

I will wear this for the next few weeks, and report back to see how well this works.  Hope you all like it, and thank you for reading.  :) :popcorn:
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 08:31:19 PM by comis »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Re: Ranger Band Carry - DIY Minimalist Tool Retention
Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 08:30:45 PM
That's a good idea. :tu:  I look forward to hearing how you get along with it. :cheers:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 08:34:14 PM
I like this kind of DIY solutions, do tell us how it works out after using it a while.  :tu:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 10:12:38 PM
Thank you! :)

And I also discovered this 'Ranger Band Carry' also molle-compatible, and since it is black, it might be tactical too... :D

Few more pictures to share:

I tried to put this puppy on the Maxpedition M1 pouch, and it works quite well with molle.  Don't ask me why would anyone not to put it inside in the first place...  :P

Even when the tool is pulled away, the retainer stay put.

The funny truth is--as much as I like my pouches, sometimes when I am doing heavy business in a dirty bathroom, some pouches might decide come off the belt and take a walk...

Luckily, this retainer is doing a fine job holding on, so hopefully it will continue to do well in the next few weeks!

pt Offline RamoN

Reply #4 on: August 03, 2013, 03:47:12 AM
Let me say thats a very good idea  :salute: I have a preference for big sak and multis so this is really great to carry them with discretion  :tu: im going to steal it from you asap :)

us Offline detron

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #5 on: August 03, 2013, 05:50:08 AM
awesome    :D
If I can help, let me know 

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 05:55:51 AM
what a great idea thank you for sharing and the pictures were especially helpful
 :tu:
Esse Quam Videri

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 09:48:01 AM
 :sa: :woohoo: :hatsoff:
who's a clever little bunny ! wish I'd thought of that it's so simple, as are most brilliant ideas.
very good of you to share it AND with such clear photos  :tu:

Offline 21productionz

Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 07:54:45 PM
Ingenuity at it's finest right there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 03:38:06 AM
Very good idea :tu: I'm going to try this!¡!
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 09:32:06 AM

Useful idea Comis  :tu:

:cheers:

Everything’s adjustable

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 12:24:00 PM
Gave this a go myself last night, works very well. :tu:  I'd probably not carry a MT this way if I was going to be using it multiple times a day, but for the occasional use it's just fine. :)

us Offline colt 1911

Reply #12 on: August 08, 2013, 04:30:11 AM
Gotta love ranger bands.
CHEERS

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #13 on: August 10, 2013, 05:57:02 PM
Neat idea. Ever try to sew in a HD magnet or something small and equally powerful and just snap the tool onto your belt? Hmmm...wonder if that would work.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Tabasco

Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 02:49:46 AM
Ranger bands rule. Parnass has posted some great ranger band photos over the years.
http://forum.multitool.org/index.php?topic=41995.0
Yeah, you right...

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 05:48:59 AM
Thank you for all the supportive comments :D

Gareth:
I agree, if I have to use it many times a day, getting it in and out could be a little annoying.  I have an office job and the job itself doesn't really require me to use the tool a whole lot, but I often think 'what good is my multitool if it is not on me?'  So as a compromise, this is how this 'carry' comes into being.  I will post more 'finer pointers' for making this DIY more robust and user friendly.

Chako,
Wooo...now we are cooking.  I know of a place locally that I could get all sizes of real earth magnet(or super strong magnet).  I will see what I could come up with. :D

Tabasco,
Thanks for pointing the post out, good to see I am not alone here. :)

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Ranger Band Carry - Interim report
Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 06:17:18 AM
Hi, all.

As promised, I've been wearing this DIY everyday for a week now.  So far so good, here is a 'interim report' showing how it works on different pants and belts:

Carry it with a 5.11 tactical pants, sometimes the width between the belt loops on pants might not be enough to accommodate a full size MT, so I do skip a loop on this.  This is probably one of my go-to pants for lazing around on a couch, watching movie or doing errands.  There is a open side pocket that might perfectly fit a MT or a magazine, but I never took my chances since the MT might just slip out.  In case you are wondering, no, I was good and I didn't drop my pants that day(for skipping a loop).  :D

For usual workdays, I wear a khaki and loose polo.  This is how it looks on them.  Usually, I wear a brook brothers khaki and how the belt loops situated was perfect for this DIY.

There was one day last week I have to dress up a bit for meeting with bankers, and I decided it was perfect opportunity for the BO Victorinox Spirit to get some belt time.

Another belt with jeans for another day. 
I went for a short hike on a really hot day over last weekend(33C, 91F) with high humidity.  To say the least, I think I might have my undie soaked thru and thru.  Luckily, like any sheath, I was thankful this carry method was able to keep my Spirit dry.  :tu:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Ranger Band Carry - The Finer Pointers
Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 07:35:32 AM
The following are the finer pointers for making and using the 'ranger band carry':

1) More robust design
2) Details on a good fit
3) Other suggestions

1) More Robust design
After a week of using the original, there is no sign of tearing apart, but fearing it might happen in the future, I rounded up all the perpendicular cut points for wear-and-tear prevention:

The last picture shown the difference between the new and original design.(Top: original; Bottom: new)

2) Details on a good fit
I found how well this 'sheath' work will largely depend on how you cut it and what kind of inner tube you are using.  For myself, I actually order a Avenir inner tube 26 x 1.90-2.125 from Amazon(original it wasn't for this project, but it turns out well ;) ):

(pix borrowed on the net)

The inner tube should fit onto the belt very loosely, if it is already 'gripping' onto your belt, you'd probably have a hard time to stretch it over to cover the tool.

If the band diameter is too narrow or the 'width' of the window you cut on the tube is too narrow, it might clam onto the tool a bit too tight and make difficult to get the tool in and out.  I find a good compromise is about 1 inch of rubber covering the tool at each end, making it easy and secure enough to use for a few times a day.

For smaller MT or SAK trekker/GAK, I put two ranger belts(same diameter) onto where the rubber gripping onto MT at each side.  Those two belts will constrict the diameter of the sheath and make it grip tighter onto the tool.

3) Other suggestion

-Like any other sheath, this works great especially if you are going outdoor and will get sweaty wet.  I have seen many knife users complaining their tools get rusty in the past, when the tools were kept in sweaty pockets.

-Like your belt-attached cell phone or side arm, it might be advisable to move the tool so it is not affecting how your seat belt function or make it more easy to retrieve when you need it for emergency.

-For backpacking, this 'sheath' could be transferred onto your shoulder strap/belt strap easily, and move back onto your belt when you arrive camp.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 07:41:32 AM by comis »

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 12:43:09 PM
Got home and took two more pix, for the smaller MT or SAK trekker/GAK, the two additional ranger bands add-on(I can't edit the previous post, sorry for the extra post)

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: August 12, 2013, 06:37:03 PM
Yeah, that internal radius on the cut-out section makes sense to me. :tu:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 13, 2013, 05:24:52 AM
Wow this is a cool idea :tu:

fi Offline AlephZero

• Smurf smash!
Reply #22 on: August 17, 2013, 08:52:12 AM
I would imagine you could use similar made out of a road bike tube for smaller tools, like 91mm Vic  :think:
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 09:56:49 PM
Hey, guys.

I just realize I have forgotten to put up the video link onto this thread.  At the end of video, I kinda demo how the tool/knife is being put in and out of the sheath.

Ranger Band Carry DIY Minimalistic sheath for Multitools and Knives

Right now, there is something even more exciting being cooked up...it should be fun.  :D

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 09:59:36 PM
I would imagine you could use similar made out of a road bike tube for smaller tools, like 91mm Vic  :think:

Totally, and if you use a narrower tube, it is possible to use it to carry something round and smaller, such as a Minimag AA.  But just in case you want to use the same size for everything, the last two pictures do shown a way to do it.  :D

us Offline stealth007s

• I don't LIKE anything!i!¡!¡!¡!
Reply #25 on: September 04, 2013, 01:03:40 AM
Nice video comis :tu: I used a road bike tube, which is smaller in diameter, and it works great for smaller tools.
Dear Leatherman......................

Terry

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #26 on: October 19, 2018, 11:58:44 AM
Just bringing this one back to life.

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: October 19, 2018, 07:53:30 PM

I wonder how Comis is? he's not been around for a couple of years  :think:
Everything’s adjustable

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #28 on: October 21, 2018, 11:35:38 AM