Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Another failure

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Another failure
on: August 05, 2013, 05:01:34 PM
Last weekend I went kayaking, planning to cover seven different lakes that form my end of the Shubendacadie Canal system, the canal that was used to bring supplies and other cargo inland, and splits my province more or less in half.  This would have meant paddling just over a third of the entire canal in one day.  Unfortunately I failed as the winds were really picking up and I felt like it was just going to get worse as I got onto bigger and bigger lakes so I gave up, and still managed to paddle 15kms or just under ten miles.  Not too shabby a paddle, so I contented myself with that, although I had indeed failed in my original plan.  I've paddled all of this before, just not all at once.  Usually I only cover 3-4 lakes at most.

Today I loaded up my boat and decided to head out to another spot I'd recently heard about called Birch Cove Lakes.  It's actually not really a cove, but a series of lakes, and you can paddle and portage a large circuitous route that brings you back to your start point.  You can see it on this map:

http://www.halifaxnorthwesttrails.ca/images/pdf/Birch%20Cove%20Lakes%20Canoe%20Loop.PDF

Unfortunately there's really no place to stop the car, except for a very small clearing at the side of the highway, and if you don't know exactly where it it you'll miss it and have to get off the highway at the next exit, get back on the highway going the opposite way, get off at the previous exit, get back on and try again.  This is also a very busy highway, so I had to try three times before I managed to get to the right place.  Of course, getting in and out was a bit of a challenge too, since my Jeep doesn't have a roof rack and I had to bring my VW.  It's a very small area, all gravel and rock and not terribly even- really the kind of place you'd much rather have a 4x4!

I knew it was a bit of a hike to get to the water from the so-called Parkign area, so before unloading my boat I decided to see what the trail looked like.  Well, measuring it with the GPS, put it at about 600-700 yards through the woods, with lots of dropoffs, mud and other obstacles that would make it very difficult to drag a 13 foot kayak down without help, and since I was by myself I decided that I wouldn't even try without someone to help me.

I did manage to find the water though, and I looked for a decent spot to put my boat in the water, in the future when I actually have the opportunity!  There was actually a very nice spot, all one big solid rock that should act like a nice natural dock, so that was very helpful.

So I guess today wasn't a failure so much as an overly prepared scouting mission... yeah, that's a good excuse... :D

Seriously, it was a nice walk and I met some nice people down there who tell me that it's a great spot for fishing, and I believe it since there were quite a few large leeches near the shore.  Large leeches mean large trout!

Still, reading the description about it (starting on page 10) makes me want to paddle it very soon, so maybe I'll get the gang together and we can do it next weekend!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

fr Offline Whoey

• Administrator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • I am geek, hear me code
Re: Another failure
Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 05:18:15 PM
We saw a couple kayakers in the harbour in San Sebastian, looks like it'd be pretty neat to paddle around the harbour, wouldn't want to get too far out past the island though as it gets pretty rough pretty fast... they do have some sort of longboat rowing competitions from time to time that's really crazy to watch (they start in the harbour and head out to sea...).
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 07:22:18 PM
sounds very cool boss.  It's always nice to find a nice hidden treasure. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 08:07:57 PM
Harbor paddling is nice. I've done that a few times and it's a different experience.

There was another great white spotted not too far from here last week, so I'll stick to fresh water for most of my paddling adventures!

Of course, the spot I found today has a lot of bears and coyotes, so I guess you aren't safe anywhere!

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: August 06, 2013, 06:53:54 PM
Potentially paddling with a big shark? :o

personally I'll pass. :dwts:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 07:27:17 PM
Salt water actually makes the boat more tipsy, as the increased density floats the boat higher in the water and raises your overall center of gravity.

Also, given that salt water is usually a little more choppy (at least around here!) than fresh, its a little nerve wracking the first time out.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: August 10, 2013, 11:11:22 PM
It's all set, tomorrow morning my wife's cousin and I are heading back. I'd hoped for someone with a little more experience and ability, but another set of hands is another set of hands. 

Is it wrong that I'm a little excited about this?

Def

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #7 on: August 11, 2013, 10:04:41 AM
How did it go Grant? :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: August 11, 2013, 11:47:41 AM
It hasn't yet. Its 0647 hrs now. Christine will be here at 0800 at which point I'll throw her boat on the car (going to load mine shortly ) and away we go.

Def

Sent from the place I sent it from

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: August 11, 2013, 01:57:31 PM
so how about now? :pok:

:D

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #10 on: August 11, 2013, 06:39:07 PM
The sea is not a lake or a river. Be carefull as I have seen many expert swimming pool swimmers in trouble in the sea. Trying to crawl in waves is lethal.
Use the right protection  :D

Have fun as the sea is King!
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 12:30:27 AM
Well, it was another failure.  As it turns out, there is no way to get a 14 and/or 17 foot boat down there easily.  I think I may try again sometime with a ten foot boat I have.

Instead we ended up going and paddling in the ocean.  It was a short trip, but interesting as Christine has never paddled a proper boat (she paddles a Cheap Pelican that we didn't bring along today) and she's never been kayaking in the ocean.  She seemed to enjoy it a lot.

Def

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 12:32:49 AM
ah well, at least you still got some paddling done. :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 01:20:00 AM
Yeah, that makes it better than last week's failure!  :D

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: August 25, 2013, 05:24:17 AM
Third time's a charm, right?  Tomorrow morning I'll be trying this trip again. I'm bringing my wife's boat- it's a ten foot Pelican cheapo, but it's small and light enough to get in to the lake. It's not a great boat to paddle and it means I'll have to go with less gear than I usually like to bring, but that's part of the adventure, right?

So, limited storage space means less water and other supplies and no backup paddle. 

Def

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #15 on: August 25, 2013, 12:12:50 PM
best of luck boss, take lots of pics for us. :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: August 25, 2013, 09:24:13 PM
I got a few pics, but mostly I got video on my GoPro.  I'll try to pull some nice screen shots.  The water was perfectly calm, like a mirror when we got there.  It was gorgeous.

Of course we had a 3km hike carrying boats and supplies to get in, and again when we came home.  That was brutal, especially on the way home because I got very badly sunburned.  I am just about to head off to the shower now to see just how bad it is.   :ahhh

I'm pretty sure it's not good.  Very sure it's not good.

Def

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #17 on: August 25, 2013, 09:26:54 PM
I'd like to say pics or it didn't happen, but I'm afraid we might get shower pics, :ahhh

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #18 on: August 25, 2013, 09:30:14 PM
I'd like to say pics or it didn't happen, but I'm afraid we might get shower pics, :ahhh

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

You know that's what you're most looking forward to. Droplets of water running down Def's shapely body... as he operates yet another waterproof tablet that no one wanted to see.
Got those frog legs.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: August 25, 2013, 09:36:38 PM
Shirt's off now.  It's bad.  Really not good.

On the plus side, I have a CRKT Neckolas shaped white spot in the middle of my chest.

Def

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: August 25, 2013, 11:08:46 PM
Shirt's off now.  It's bad.  Really not good.

On the plus side, I have a CRKT Neckolas shaped white spot in the middle of my chest.

Def
If that's the good news, you know the rest is pretty bad. :-\

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: August 26, 2013, 12:15:57 AM
Yup. It is bad.  I am freezing from having a cold shower a couple of hours ago and my skin is on fire.  Chest, back, shoulders... All fiery red and amazingly sore and sensitive.  Even wearing a shirt now is excruciating.

If it were any worse I think I'd be on the way to the hospital.  So far no oozing, which is good.  With my shoulders burnt to hell and several kilometers of boat carrying I'll be lucky if I can lift them tomorrow.

Def

ca Offline derekmac

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Little to the right...
Reply #22 on: August 26, 2013, 03:59:05 PM
How's the burn today? 

The last time I was burnt that bad was over 10yrs ago.  I had to take a few days off work because I couldn't wear a shirt as it hurt like hell!  My wife is a sunscreen nazi, so I haven't really been burnt since then.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #23 on: August 26, 2013, 04:56:18 PM
I can move better today but all of my shirts seem to be lined with sandpaper.

Def

Sent from the place I sent it from

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: August 26, 2013, 11:11:46 PM
Here is the map of where we went- as you can see, we had a lot of fun exploring!

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BygxUHLkg5hKN1BWTXlyajI2R0U/edit?usp=sharing

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: August 26, 2013, 11:23:54 PM
Here are some of Christine's photos.  I would like to apologize in advance for my unattractiveness.

We found this chair on one of the small "islands" which was little more than a big flat rock.  naturally when you find a chair in an odd place you really do need to do something silly, like sit in it and pose.

And from further out so you can see just how pointless this was! 

According to the official Canoe/Kayak Association of Nova Scotia, just doing this loop required up to seven portages.  We portaged once, and frankly I couldn't find any other places where a portage would have been even remotely necessary.

The portage wasn't even necessary for us, but we did it anyway, and I'd say it wasn't even 75 feet.

As you can see, it was a beautiful day, and a great paddle!

Def

00 Offline Freudian Frog

• No Life Club
  • I just don't know what went wrong.
Reply #26 on: August 26, 2013, 11:50:31 PM
Good luck with the sunburn. I'm starting to feel the need to possess a chair island now. 8)

Are you allergic to shirts? :D
Got those frog legs.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: August 27, 2013, 01:52:21 AM
When its that hot out, yes.  :P

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #28 on: August 31, 2013, 01:25:10 PM
I had a closer look at the map provided by Canoe Kayak Nova Scotia and found that we actually missed a large portion of this trip.

So I guess the third attempt was a failure too, at least partially.

The good news is that I can mostly move my arms again and my skin is more or less intact now (down to a manageable amount of peeling, itching and pain) so I may have to try again this week end.

I'll be sure to bring my cart this time. It should work better on the smaller boat than it did on the big one.

Def

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: August 31, 2013, 02:28:11 PM
might I suggest some factor 50 sun cream as well? :pok:  Hope you have a fun trip boss. :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%