Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Les Stroud Multitool

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Les Stroud Multitool
on: August 13, 2013, 06:08:29 PM
I know there wad another thread on this but I'm on my phone so I'm starting a new one.  :P

Just listed on FB:
 http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/products/Camillus/Camillus%C2%AE+Les+Stroud+SK+Engage+Multi-Tool/CM19125.html

For $30 I figure its worth a look.

Def

Sent from the place I sent it from

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Re: Les Stroud Multitool
Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 06:10:53 PM
Still not a real picture!

hr Offline styx

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 06:44:38 PM
Can't say I'll expect much from it. gonna be interesting to see if he uses it in the new Survivorman series
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 06:55:52 PM
Well I think it's going to be crap, but I hope i'm wrong. I would be pretty disappointed with Les if he designed it and it came out terrible. IMHO it seems like its aimed at the impulse buyer and people who watch his show. Kinda on the same level as the Bear Grylls tools and the LM Wingman. I expect to like the Wingman more though. Like I said I hope i'm wrong.  :-\
I'm the milk man!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 07:01:41 PM
I kinda surpised that Leatherman and him have not done something. He used a leatherman a bunch in his show.

sent from Ducttapetech's mobile device

Nate

SEND IT!

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 07:20:32 PM
Still not a real picture!
that's what's got me worried as well.  Can't say I've got huge expectations for this, despite being a big Les fan. :-\  However lets not totally write it off until a few of us have had a chance to play with one. :)
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

hr Offline styx

Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 08:08:52 PM
well considering that he is a very positive personality one would really think that Leatherman or Victorinox would bite for a collaboration. he used 'em both, although he used a Wave and Charge Ti more. perhaps something would come from Wenger if it wasn't getting shut down. Although in a few interviews Les stated that he chose the company because he wanted his gear to be affordable
Solving problems you didn't know you had in the most obscure way possible

"And now, it's time to hand this over to our tame race axe driver. Some say, he can live in the forest for six months at a time without food, and he knows of a secret tribe of only women where he is their God. All we know is, he's call the Styx!" - TazzieRob

no Offline Grathr

Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 08:12:36 PM
I hope for Les sake, that it turns out to be a nice affordable tool of decent quality.
Looking forward to the first reviews by a member here.
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 08:25:50 PM
The fact it has a Robbie screwdriver shows Les had at least a bit of input on the design. :P

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 08:28:47 PM
The fact it has a Robbie screwdriver shows Les had at least a bit of input on the design. :P

agreed.  :D
I'm the milk man!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: August 14, 2013, 03:48:36 AM
Yes and no....

Putting a Robertson on it makes it look like there's a Canadian influence, but the reality is that it's pretty useless in a survival tool.  Most Robertson screws are wood screws and I really can't see them being needed in a survival situation unless you somehow need to build a survival deck.

A screwdriver in a survival situation is really only useful if you can salvage some equipment somewhere- a radio, camp stove, GPS etc, none of which would ever have Robertson screws.

On top of that, Robertson's are pretty specific- a number two screwdriver won't work in a number one or a number three screw, so chances are slim that you'd just happen to have the one you'd need.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 05:27:46 AM
Yes and no....

Putting a Robertson on it makes it look like there's a Canadian influence, but the reality is that it's pretty useless in a survival tool.  Most Robertson screws are wood screws and I really can't see them being needed in a survival situation unless you somehow need to build a survival deck.

A screwdriver in a survival situation is really only useful if you can salvage some equipment somewhere- a radio, camp stove, GPS etc, none of which would ever have Robertson screws.

On top of that, Robertson's are pretty specific- a number two screwdriver won't work in a number one or a number three screw, so chances are slim that you'd just happen to have the one you'd need.

Def

No Grant you build a survival birdhouse and lure birds in to eat. Isn't that what you Canadians do?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 12:16:00 PM
Half the year here the only birds around are either too small to eat (chickadees) or are more likely to eat you (snowy owls), so that's probably not such a useful idea.   :ahhh

It is entirely likely that when lost in the woods and attempting to survive that you could possibly find an old cottage in need of repair, so you disassemble the deck to provide lumber to repair the roof, but I doubt very much you are going to take the time to undo a pile of screws with a multitool just to drive them back in again.

If they really wanted to market it as a Canadian Survival Tool they should have included a hockey puck- at least that could be helpful as a hammer.

Def

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 03:25:32 PM
BTW has anyone looked at the back of the packaging photo?

And a close up of the tools description.

Compared to the main picture with the tools fanned.

The reamer with sawing eye is gone and is replaced with the fish scaler/hook remover, the can/bottle opener changed shape, the hook remover used to be on top of the saw but is gone now, no more tweezers and the Robbie appears to be in the place where they were.

Oh, and come on, placing the file on that small screwdriver? Where did we see that before? ::) And that ended badly. I see lots of broken screwdrivers in the future. Not to mention, very useles. :-\

Also, LED flashlight/whistle and fire starter? Didn't see any mention of these before. :think:

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 03:26:10 PM
This is not up to a good start at all. ::)

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 03:56:37 PM
This thing looks like a Suspension, but with inside tools  ::)

The fact that we are still looking at cartoons of what the tool is going to be has got me thinking this is not going to be a great tool. Also, renderings are cheaper than prototypes so when I see stuff like this, with a picture of a well respected expert/celebrity, I think they are just trying to stir up hype in the tool. I would be more excited about this tool if we were looking at pictures of prototypes, and reading articles about tests or reviews of preproduction models
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 04:22:34 PM
I have to say that it is indeed not looking good so far, but I'll reserve judgment until I've had it in my hands and played with it to see what it's really like.

I'd also like to point out to any manufacturers that my name is also for sale, so feel free to start sending me offers....

Def

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 04:45:45 PM
I have to say that it is indeed not looking good so far, but I'll reserve judgment until I've had it in my hands and played with it to see what it's really like.

I'd also like to point out to any manufacturers that my name is also for sale, so feel free to start sending me offers....

Def

I cannot imagine a tool worthy of that name
If I can help, let me know 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 05:10:17 PM
I'm a tool worthy of that name....

Def

Sent from the place I sent it from

us Offline detron

• Tool Carrying Linux User
Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 05:22:59 PM
Nicely played DEF,   :rofl:

I should have noticed that option when I posted  :facepalm:
If I can help, let me know 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #20 on: August 14, 2013, 05:56:28 PM
Hey, you set me up like that, it looks bad on both of us if I don't knock it out of the park!  :D

As for a tool being worthy or not of my name, well, all I can say is there's nothing wrong with being a money grubbing whore, just don't be a cheap money grubbing whore.  When I see a dump truck full of cash coming up my street I'll sign just about anything.  :P

Def

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #21 on: August 14, 2013, 05:57:16 PM
Well it looks like this tool is going to make the whole Bear Grylls line look very good indeed  :whistle:

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

no Offline Grathr

Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 06:44:39 PM
The Les stroud knives turned out OK didn't they?
Time will show if the MT does too...
-Knívleysur maður er lívleysur maður.
 "A Knifeless man is a lifeless man" old Faroese proverb.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 07:05:23 PM
How to make a survival MT.
Add a nylon sheath with a flashlight, a whistle and a firestarter. Seriously, I have to watch that show to figure out what he uses the Philips for in the wilderness.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: August 14, 2013, 07:17:34 PM
Any broken equipment you may scrounge is a lot more likely to have Philips screws than Robertson.

Def

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #25 on: August 14, 2013, 09:31:19 PM
I do remember the "South Pacific" episode (S02E16) where he uses the bit driver on his harmonica to take the metal piece off to make into a spear tip for fishing. I don't remember if it was a Philips/Flathead or Robertson or if I could even tell.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 09:37:54 PM by captain spaulding »
I'm the milk man!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #26 on: August 14, 2013, 10:26:37 PM
This is not up to a good start at all. ::)

Totally.

Not to be judgmental, but I am starting to suspect my SAK OHO trekker/GAK might be a more relevant survival tool than this...at this rate, this might just be another so-so light weight MT, which nothing special to offer besides the green color.   :think:

Just off top my head:
-Scale 1 with whistle and led light at the end, removable; some kind of fire rod storage space under scale
-Scale 2 with embedded+replaceable compass and thermometer   
-lockable+replaceable real metal saw for ferro rod striking
-lockable blade, convex grind, drop point
-lockable wood saw
-Can opener
-one regular bits holder
-Glow in the dark parts

I only hope he or Camillus could read this.  :pok:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: August 14, 2013, 10:49:08 PM
As we have discussed before, survival is largely in you, not in the tool.  You can't just grab a tool off the shelf at Wal Mart and expect to be able to survive in Antarctica or the jungle.  I'll bet Les could get a heck of a lot further with nothing than most of the people who buy this tool could get with it.

Def

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #28 on: August 14, 2013, 11:04:29 PM
As we have discussed before, survival is largely in you, not in the tool.  You can't just grab a tool off the shelf at Wal Mart and expect to be able to survive in Antarctica or the jungle.  I'll bet Les could get a heck of a lot further with nothing than most of the people who buy this tool could get with it.

Def

If carrying a well made tool with a decent load out, I can make it from my house to the off-license and the local takeaway, even in foul weather - I know, I've done it. With the Les Stroud tool, on first impressions at least, that confidence is shattered.

I appreciate that some people wish to reserve judgement till they've tried the tool themselves, but I for one do not wish to be discovered on my own doorstep in a critical condition under a toppled wheely bin, because I had chosen to carry a substandard tool while trying to fetch a pizza. When a four pack of San Miguel and garlic bread supreme is at stake, I don't think it's worth taking unnecessary chances

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: August 15, 2013, 08:16:30 AM

Def

If carrying a well made tool with a decent load out, I can make it from my house to the off-license and the local takeaway, even in foul weather - I know, I've done it. With the Les Stroud tool, on first impressions at least, that confidence is shattered.

I appreciate that some people wish to reserve judgement till they've tried the tool themselves, but I for one do not wish to be discovered on my own doorstep in a critical condition under a toppled wheely bin, because I had chosen to carry a substandard tool while trying to fetch a pizza. When a four pack of San Miguel and garlic bread supreme is at stake, I don't think it's worth taking unnecessary chances
:rofl:

Better to be safe than sorry mate. :salute:
 :D
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%