Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Les Stroud Multitool

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Re: Les Stroud Multitool
Reply #30 on: August 15, 2013, 09:00:26 AM
As we have discussed before, survival is largely in you, not in the tool.  You can't just grab a tool off the shelf at Wal Mart and expect to be able to survive in Antarctica or the jungle.  I'll bet Les could get a heck of a lot further with nothing than most of the people who buy this tool could get with it.

Def

If carrying a well made tool with a decent load out, I can make it from my house to the off-license and the local takeaway, even in foul weather - I know, I've done it. With the Les Stroud tool, on first impressions at least, that confidence is shattered.

I appreciate that some people wish to reserve judgement till they've tried the tool themselves, but I for one do not wish to be discovered on my own doorstep in a critical condition under a toppled wheely bin, because I had chosen to carry a substandard tool while trying to fetch a pizza. When a four pack of San Miguel and garlic bread supreme is at stake, I don't think it's worth taking unnecessary chances
:rofl:

Better to be safe than sorry mate. :salute:
 :D
:rofl:
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #31 on: August 15, 2013, 09:40:25 AM
Looks like an OK fishing tool. Maybe it will come with needlenose pliers too in the future.

Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #32 on: November 05, 2013, 11:14:00 AM
According to the link also found in the first post of this thread:
The Camillus® Les Stroud SK™ Engage Multi-Tool is now IN STOCK, but I still can't find any pictures of it. Anyone seen it in the wild?

us Offline captain spaulding

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • What's the matter, kid? Don't ya like clowns?
Reply #33 on: November 05, 2013, 08:16:01 PM
I'm also interested to see it and hear a review.
I'm the milk man!

us Offline powerring

• In brightest day....
Reply #34 on: November 05, 2013, 08:23:10 PM
The Camillus® Les Stroud SK™ Engage Multi-Tool is now IN STOCK, but I still can't find any pictures of it. Anyone seen it in the wild?

I've not seen it in the wild but pics are coming up in that SMKW link for me.  I also found a few pix by searching on Google Images.  I'll be interested to see how big it is compared to a Wave, Juice, etc.

ca Online Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #35 on: November 06, 2013, 12:19:54 AM
If anyone is ordering from SMKW and wouldn't mind me piggybacking on an order I'd appreciate it.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #36 on: November 06, 2013, 12:46:33 AM
Won't be long now then. Looking forward to hearing what you guys have to say about this one. And what the tool load out on it actually is. ;)

us Offline afi1

Reply #37 on: November 06, 2013, 01:27:05 AM
I didn't know Mr. Stroud was putting his name on a multi-tool until I saw this thread.  I'm a fan of his show; I'm actually re-watching all the old seasons on Netflix as I type.  I'm sorry to see the tool.  I wish he would have teamed up with Leatherman or Victorinox and brought a solid offering to market.  I'd much rather have a Wave, Spirit X or MP600 in any survival situation- or daily carry for that matter.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #38 on: November 06, 2013, 01:49:02 AM
I don't know about that. I was talking to Camillus at SHOT a couple of years ago and the intent to produce a good tool was there, and they seemed to have decent specs planned.

Whether or not that has made it to the final product is another story entirely, but I'm keeping an open mind about it.  They may surprise us get.

Def

Sent from a digital multitool
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Philthy

Reply #39 on: November 06, 2013, 05:32:13 AM
It's made in china, I don't have high hopes.

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #40 on: November 06, 2013, 08:29:58 AM

I've not seen it in the wild but pics are coming up in that SMKW link for me.  I also found a few pix by searching on Google Images.[...]
They are not pictures of the actual tool, they are drawings, at least when I look. Same goes for everything on Google. If you find a real picture please post it here.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #41 on: November 06, 2013, 12:11:17 PM
It's made in china, I don't have high hopes.

Some quality stuff is made in China, so that alone isn't a reason to count it out.

Def

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #42 on: November 06, 2013, 01:43:38 PM
Same way some crap is made in the US :)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #43 on: November 06, 2013, 01:46:46 PM
Yup.  Country of origin is an indicator of the level of quality in a product, but not a guarantee.

Def

us Offline mtngoat

Reply #44 on: November 07, 2013, 04:54:34 AM
Im going to Smoky Mtn knifeworks in a few weeks, ill take some pics of it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter won't mind." -Dr. Seuss-

us Offline DIYMultiTool

Reply #45 on: November 07, 2013, 05:07:58 AM
I like watching Bear Grylls, Les Stroud, Cody Lundin,  and Dave Canterbury.  That being said they can keep all those cheap China tools. :(  I will stick with better quality tools.  I do not need TV folks selling me junk.
Buck Collectors Club Inc., (BCCI) Life Member

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #46 on: November 07, 2013, 07:07:39 AM
they can keep all those cheap China tools.

That is why people should only only buy Bear & Son tools and knives:

"Our ongoing commitment is to make them in America and make them affordable. We want everyone to be able to afford what we are proud to make!"

:D  :D  :D

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #47 on: November 07, 2013, 09:11:14 AM
At work, we have a slightly different view on country of origin.

If you buy Italian then you can't get any support, spare parts take forever to arrive and are often incorrect but the products can be quite clever. Until they go wrong.

German stuff tends to have good support and quick turnarounds.

US built and designed stuff (I don't recall ever having had anything from any of the rest of North America) tends to be basic, clunky, energy inefficient but pretty bullet proof. The sort of "why waste time making this clever when we can make it like a brick smurfhouse" mentality.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #48 on: November 07, 2013, 09:16:48 AM
Spyderco, Multitasker, SRM knives, Rough Rider...all Chinese made, all high quality.  Just saying. :whistle:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #49 on: November 07, 2013, 11:35:21 AM

If you buy Italian then you can't get any support, spare parts take forever to arrive and are often incorrect but the products can be quite clever. Until they go wrong.

US built and designed stuff (I don't recall ever having had anything from any of the rest of North America) tends to be basic, clunky, energy inefficient but pretty bullet proof. The sort of "why waste time making this clever when we can make it like a brick smurfhouse" mentality.
Yep, it has worked for us Americans for years. You can see just how clunky our tanks are. And our jets, trains, space shuttles, internet, knifes, multitools, farm equipment..........
8) 

sent from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #50 on: November 07, 2013, 12:20:16 PM

Yep, it has worked for us Americans for years. You can see just how clunky our tanks are. And our jets, trains, space shuttles, internet, knifes, multitools, farm equipment..........
8) 

sent from Nate's mobile

I think you're trying to be sarcastic?

Compare a JD to a Fendt. The Fendt is cleverer and the JD is clunkier. I've driven both and every Farmers Weekly article seems to agree.
Leatherman to Victorinox? People are always saying how shiny the Swisstools are in comparison to the Leathermans. I have both.
Internet: I'm not sure that's a valid one TBH. Tim Berners-Lee?
Jets: Well you have got the F-15 and A-10 :D But taking them as a whole, I think I'll grant you they're pretty clever except for when they decide to suffocate their pilot ;)

Anyway, I'm not saying the approach is wrong, just different.
I carry a Leatherman every day, on the other hand we run a fleet of Fendts and wouldn't have a JD on the farm. Not just because there's no where to put your dinner bag!

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #51 on: November 07, 2013, 02:12:28 PM

8) 

sent from Nate's mobile

Compare a JD to a Fendt. The Fendt is cleverer and the JD is clunkier. I've driven both and every Farmers Weekly article seems to agree.
Leatherman to Victorinox? People are always saying how shiny the Swisstools are in comparison to the Leathermans. I have both.
Jets: Well you have got the F-15 and A-10 :D But taking them as a whole, I think I'll grant you they're pretty clever except for when they decide to suffocate their pilot ;)

I carry a Leatherman every day, on the other hand we run a fleet of Fendts and wouldn't have a JD on the farm. Not just because there's no where to put your dinner bag!
I was. Lmao!

BUT! When it comes to poking fun at JD, ITS ON!!!! :))
John Deeres has a place to store your lunch bag and has a beer cooler in the cab. The JD 4020 IS the tractor that revolutionized the way all tractors are made today. They are very tough tractors and will run for years. Many years. But so will most tractors anyways if taken care of. I tend to be bias because i when I used to farm, I used JD's.

sent from Nate's mobile

Nate

SEND IT!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #52 on: November 07, 2013, 02:30:19 PM

8) 

sent from Nate's mobile

I was. Lmao!

BUT! When it comes to poking fun at JD, ITS ON!!!! :))
John Deeres has a place to store your lunch bag and has a beer cooler in the cab. The JD 4020 IS the tractor that revolutionized the way all tractors are made today. They are very tough tractors and will run for years. Many years. But so will most tractors anyways if taken care of. I tend to be bias because i when I used to farm, I used JD's.

sent from Nate's mobile
haha the only vehicle made by a tractor company worth considering are Lamborghinis ;)

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #53 on: November 07, 2013, 02:39:49 PM
Give me a Fendt any day  :drool:

Better fuel economy, pioneered the CVT, great hydraulics, light weight for their class but can be weighted up to be among the heaviest.

I was in a John Deere 7530 a couple of weeks ago, that was one seriously cramped cab.

I've never driven a Lamborghini tractor, but they're just white SDF tractors I think and Deutz have a pretty good rep.

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #54 on: November 07, 2013, 02:44:11 PM
Deutz are not bad tractors. At least the older ones are pretty good. Haven't  been in any new ones.

sent from Nate's mobile
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 03:38:43 PM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #55 on: November 07, 2013, 03:36:33 PM
@ ducttapetech and Cupboard

:hatsoff:

I quite enjoyed this exchange of opinions. :D

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #56 on: November 07, 2013, 03:52:43 PM
Thanks!

sent from Nate's mobile
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 04:02:55 PM by ducttapetech »
Nate

SEND IT!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #57 on: November 07, 2013, 04:21:48 PM
For the record, John Deere Tractors are made in Holland.

Def

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #58 on: November 07, 2013, 04:25:21 PM
and Massey Ferguson rules!

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #59 on: November 07, 2013, 04:26:05 PM
For the record, John Deere Tractors are made in Holland.

Def

:rant:  Stupid foreigners stealing American jo... Oh wait  :D :D :D :D
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%