Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Multitasker Series 3 debut

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Re: Multitasker Series 3 debut
Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 03:28:58 AM
Thanks for the pics Eric. That blade looks awesome. What is it made of?
I have used my series 2 and the teeth are so aggressive the can grab anything that fits in them. Love em. I want an edc model but even this model is useful. Pliers, knife, driver... Each is executed in a very useful manner. I would like to see the plier open wider, but other than that I think each of those features are calling to me :)

ca Offline Metropolicity

• No Life Club
  • Hack Virtuoso
Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 05:10:05 AM
It's d2 and the cutters are a tool steel too (no idea what)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 05:14:25 AM by Metropolicity »
Why stop now?

Visit the whole Skinth family here: http://www.skinthsolutions.com

Keep up with The Skinths on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/SkinthSolutions

Shapeways - Metro's Q-branch:
http://www.shapeways.com/shops/metro-qbranch

PayPal: metrogradegoods [at} gmail. com

us Offline Mercury

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
  • Wearer of the Cloak of Band-aye-eed.
Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 06:42:57 AM
I may be the only one, but these are lukewarm for me.  I understand the appeal for a Firearm-centric tool, but making an EDC version could do nothing but boost sales for Multitasker, IMHO.   ;)

I think these are clunky and poorly designed as far as pliers based Multitools go.  The execution is top notch, you can tell a craftsman put his mark on these, but there are a few things I wouldn't be able to get past.

The plier jaws interlocking and having 100% surface contact with eachother is an oversight as far as I'm concerned.  Unless the only thing you plan on gripping is soft pin stock that you don't want to reuse, I wouldn't put those jaws on anything. 

The Serrations on the pictured serrated blade earlier in the thread are an absolute turnoff for me.  IF I am to use a CE blade, then I prefer a wider tooth.  Those mini teeth are only good for the first few sharpenings and then the are nothing but in the way nubs.  I've had a few knives ground like that and they were either given or thrown away very quickly. 

I know quite a few here really like this series, but even as a shooter myself (when I can afford it) I wouldn't care to own one of these, and that speaks volumes because I actually LOOK for opportunities to use my Multitools and SAK's.  I couldn't EDC a Multitasker tool, meaning it would be relegated to my shooting bag, a bag that already has all the tools I need to maintain my weapons...  :think:

Perhaps I'm overstating here, and I apologize if I offended anyone especially Multitasker(props on what looks to be a well made tool at least) but the only use for these that is apparent to me is for a soldier's combat loadout. 

Offline Styerman

• No Life Club
Reply #33 on: May 21, 2013, 04:38:05 PM
Personally , I think wide availability of a billet cut D2 plier , with an EDC tool loadout , will make other plierbased tools obsolete . The Series 3 and the Emerson EDC 1 are also the first to put a usable "Tac" folder blade on a Multi .

I'm personally rather stoked about the G10 scales , should be grippy as all get out .

I think/hope these tools will be gamechangers .

I can well understand why a tool maker would want to cater to the AR crowd , their are 3.5-5 million in the U.S. alone . Nevermind what the Police and Military have . Civilian AR owners are often discerning and well heeled folks . Tricked out AR's can easily run 3-5 K a copy . Sounds like a good niche to me !

Chris

us Offline thebullfrog

• No Life Club
Reply #34 on: May 22, 2013, 10:49:51 PM
Oh it's certainly a great niche to get into for sure. It's a genius move. Problem is he did such a great job that I've spent years jealous I can't have one!  :drool:

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #35 on: May 23, 2013, 02:31:42 AM
I heard from Multitasker via email that the blade on this series is D2. How cool is that? :)
I can understand the comments about serrations. I can be picky with serrations also but generally I like them. And either way, this model comes in plain edge or serrated. Take your pick. that is a nice feature. I am glad Shane made that option.

Offline mulou

Reply #36 on: May 23, 2013, 06:41:33 AM
it does look good :)
i wish they all had a sog-like plier tho (but with such a nice plier head..) just because its more useful as a "real tool". Not the leverage per se, but that you can apply force both ways on the pliers so they don't get stuck... the additional leverage just comes as bonus ;-)

00 Offline Ombudsman

• Rite of )+( Passage
Reply #37 on: May 24, 2013, 07:45:45 PM
Some pics from Multitasker FB page, Series 2 and Series 3 side by side

It's been confirmed that Series3 & series2 pliers have the same thickness  :tu:

Both fully machined using wire-EDM & CNC out of solid D2 barstock.

A natural predator ! :D

bmstrong

Reply #38 on: August 11, 2013, 11:30:11 PM
Any one carry the Series 3 on a regular basis? The quality of the one I handled is insane but I can't use the weapon specific tools at all. I'm thinking of stripping those tools out and having scratch built EDC tools dropped in, along with a 6/4 Titanium pocket clip. What I need is to see how the tool comes apart. Can anyone point to some pictures?

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #39 on: August 12, 2013, 02:58:43 AM
I have been using the series 3 a little but not steady. Nice tool, but I just can't justify it when I don't use most of the implements. I have useded the emerson edc a lot. It is been a month of edc now and I still like it as much as I did when I first handle dead. The guys at work think the wave is cool stuff  :salute:

bmstrong

Reply #40 on: August 12, 2013, 08:35:14 PM
I have been using the series 3 a little but not steady. Nice tool, but I just can't justify it when I don't use most of the implements. I have useded the emerson edc a lot. It is been a month of edc now and I still like it as much as I did when I first handle dead. The guys at work think the wave is cool stuff  :salute:

Cool. Have you pulled the Series 3 apart? I'm curious how easy/hard it is. From there it's just a matter of making new tools or finding something the can be shoehorned into it...

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #41 on: August 13, 2013, 10:59:13 PM
They are simple by appearance but I pulled a series 2 apart and found it a bit more work to put back together because of all the washers. You can do it though. It looks to me like both handles on the series 3 are built with liner locks but only the handle with the knife uses the liner lock.
Metro, you taken one apart yet?

bmstrong

Reply #42 on: September 30, 2013, 04:52:59 PM
I thought, over on the USN forums, we had made a little headway in convincing the owner of Multitasker to do a small run based on the Series 3 for normal EDC situations instead of a weapon specific version.

Couple months later? Nary a comment or movement.

Frustrating beyond words.

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #43 on: October 01, 2013, 02:34:45 AM
LOL, that doesn't surprise me. Shane is very busy. He owns a couple businesses (Or more) and I think they're probably small shops, as in he has to do everything. I thin many of us here thought a couple years ago we would have an edc by now. But he has had other stuff come up like the emerson colab, hopefully soon something will come of it. I like all of the multitaskers, but the edc1 has been most used because it is not weapon specific. Great little knife. I have mentioned it before but may be worth repeating. It is the only tool I know of with the wave feature and it is a lot of fun to use. Always impresses the coworkers.

us Offline JAfromMn

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Stranger in a Strange Land
Reply #44 on: October 01, 2013, 04:07:44 AM
If they would make a civilian model I'd have to buy one.

it looks like a very well made tool
Defend the Hive!!!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
May Goal: $300.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: $77.16
PayPal Fees: $3.91
Net Balance: $73.25
Below Goal: $226.75