Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

'Twas a slow day at the TSA bin...and Wenger>>>Vic blade transplant

us Offline Nhoj

• No Life Club
Really cool. :tu:

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Nice :)

You do know you could've just bought new, fitting scales? Just 9 dollars shipped to the US from Felinevet at EDCsource ;)
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
Nice :)

You do know you could've just bought new, fitting scales? Just 9 dollars shipped to the US from Felinevet at EDCsource ;)

Even better, I have at least one other in my collection box, free. Doesn't have a Wenger blade...
Is that really the point though??  ;)

us Offline frugalscotty

• Pacific NW
That's a nice recovery on that Tinker. Although I probably wouldn't have put that much effort into fixing the scales. I also frequent the TSA bins in my area although pickings have been lean lately since the Ebay pickers are always waiting at the door the moment business opens.

If I find an interesting knife with damaged scales, I will sometimes purchase another ordinary SAK with good scales and perform a swap to get good scales on the knife I want. Seems the cheapest way to replace scales.

us Offline neillcurrie

• Wanted: SpydeWrench
That's a nice recovery on that Tinker. Although I probably wouldn't have put that much effort into fixing the scales. I also frequent the TSA bins in my area although pickings have been lean lately since the Ebay pickers are always waiting at the door the moment business opens.

If I find an interesting knife with damaged scales, I will sometimes purchase another ordinary SAK with good scales and perform a swap to get good scales on the knife I want. Seems the cheapest way to replace scales.

Sure, I agree with you about the "buy another knife to get swappable scales" routine. I do it myself sometimes. I guess, for some weird reason, I just didn't want to do that with this Tinker. Not that I was trying to save a couple of dollars, or anything rational or logical.
The ebay re-sellers line up outside early here in NH. A couple weeks ago I swung into the car park just as the doors were opening, letting a line of about ten in. About a minute later I entered, and there were already at least a couple of guys with pretty large boxes and bags full of knives already. Made me wonder whether they slip an employee $20 just to get in the back door early, because I could see no way they could have chosen all their stash that fast.

us Offline frugalscotty

• Pacific NW

Sure, I agree with you about the "buy another knife to get swappable scales" routine. I do it myself sometimes. I guess, for some weird reason, I just didn't want to do that with this Tinker. Not that I was trying to save a couple of dollars, or anything rational or logical.
The ebay re-sellers line up outside early here in NH. A couple weeks ago I swung into the car park just as the doors were opening, letting a line of about ten in. About a minute later I entered, and there were already at least a couple of guys with pretty large boxes and bags full of knives already. Made me wonder whether they slip an employee $20 just to get in the back door early, because I could see no way they could have chosen all their stash that fast.
I've seen how they do it. They go in and scoop up great handfuls of knives into their box or basket and then go off to the side and sort through taking the good and throwing what they don't want back in the bin for others. That is why for ordinary guys like us it seems there is only dregs.

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Wow!  You are a percistent person.  Great job on that!

ps... you could have found another Vic blade... but I feel you wanted the challenge.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
June Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: $139.46
PayPal Fees: $8.05
Net Balance: $131.41
Below Goal: $168.59
Site Currency: USD
44%