Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The multitool of the automotive world!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: The multitool of the automotive world!
Reply #120 on: May 24, 2018, 02:01:08 AM
I have considered that, but there are two problems with doing it that way.

1- with the kayaks pointed out I can see the tips of them.  They have a bit of a curve to them and if they were the other way around I would t know where they were.

2-  the J racks are longer on the "back" side and so I would have to lift the boats over to seat them in.  Also then I would have to climb into the trailer to secure the straps that hold them in place.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Reply #121 on: May 24, 2018, 04:14:21 AM
This might be a dumb question... but why not have the kayaks pointing 'in' rather than 'out'?  :think:

Oops, asked and answered (but the answer was on the next page so I didn't see it before I responded).
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 04:16:21 AM by gregozedobe »
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #122 on: June 02, 2018, 08:36:05 PM
I did some very important work on the cargo box today.

That feels better!  :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
Reply #123 on: June 09, 2018, 08:39:50 PM
They should pay you for advertising.....
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #124 on: September 09, 2018, 11:14:42 PM
I made a startling discovery a few days ago.

On the side of the tire, where it says NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE they really mean it.

Minutes after I got on the highway last week a white F-150 pulled up next to me and wound down his window, yelling something I couldn't hear while pointing at the trailer and pointing down.  I knew something was wrong, so I waved a thank you and pulled off at the next exit to find that my wheel jack was still down.  The wheel was just barely touching the ground, but obviously it was down enough, and the wheel, as you can see, looks like it was shredded.  It was split, worn out and popped all at once, and the hub was also separated.  :facepalm:

Out came my trusty bottle jack/jack stand combo to lift the tongue of the trailer while I removed the wheel.

I like this jack because it will actually go high enough to lift my Jeep, and is strong enough to lift my Jeep and has a bolt built into it that allows it to work as a jack stand as well.

The wheel was easy enough to remove- it was just a single long bolt, which came off nicely with an adjustable wrench and a 15/16ths" ratchet. 

I figured I'd better replace it as it doesn't move so well when it's in pieces, and luckily the store that I got the jack from had replacements, probably because I am not the first person to have done this.

I was impressed that the bearings were still intact, given the devastation of the rest of the wheel, and when I went to take a photo, they fell out right in my hand.   :facepalm:

And the bearings weren't the only parts coming off in my hands!   :ahhh

The new wheel is actually slightly larger than the original, but it fits in the jack well enough, and really, the wheel isn't (normally) used for much other than shifting the trailer a few meters at most, so it doesn't need to be absolutely perfect.  It rubs a bit, but not a huge amount, and I doubt it will for long.  It isn't actually as much larger as it appears in the photo- the original is somewhat worn down, and under the new one, making the size look very different.

New wheel installed, and showing where it rubs slightly.  There's a good possibility that the bolt was bent sightly as the wheel only touches at certain points in it's rotation, but in the end it cost me $13 to fix, and I'm ok with it because, as I said, it doesn't need to go far.

My stupidity has cost me a lot more than $13 in the past, so I'm happy.  :D

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%