Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CRKT Li'l Guppie

J-sews · 18 · 3741

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
CRKT Li'l Guppie
on: May 04, 2008, 05:43:29 PM
Early last year the tool world was all abuzz about the new Guppie multitool from CRKT. It was based on a wrench platform and had a form factor like no other device that comes to mind. In 2008 the Guppie gave birth to an offspring that was designed to be precisely 50% lighter than the original. Fittingly called the Li’l Guppie, this new gadget from CRKT seems to be targeted at the keychain tool niche currently occupied by such tools as the Leatherman Micra, SeberTool M4 and SOG CrossGrip.

As a birthday gift (from myself!) :D I received one of these Li’l Guppies about two weeks ago and have had a bit of time to play with it since. It’s proven to be very handy, although one must always keep in mind that it is a keychain tool and not expect it to perform tasks more suited to full-size tools.

Best thing about the Li’l Guppie is how thin it is. At about 1/4” (7mm) it doesn’t occupy much more space than one of the ToolLogic or Victorinox credit card tools. Pardon the overused cliché, but a person really can forget they are carrying it. Which of course is the real beauty of small tools in that they are hopefully always on your person, not left back at the house like a larger multitool might be.

Carry options include a pocket clip and the carabiner that makes up a good share of the frame.

Small size does come at a price though. The wrench jaws on the Li’l Guppie only open up to about 7/16” (11mm) which means the opening is too small for most nuts and bolts. And even though the jaws have a serrated “gripping area” like a set of pliers, the worm nut doesn’t allow you to get a firm grasp on irregular shaped objects like a plier can. I must confess that I haven't found anything suitable yet to use the wrench on.  :-\

Unlike the full-sized Guppie with its hex bit drivers, the Li’l version has a couple of dedicated screwdrivers. At the base is a flathead screwdriver cast integral with the frame. I’ve not had an opportunity to use it as an actual screwdriver yet, but it does make for a fine mini pry bar. In this regard it is better than the full-sized tool’s hex drivers.

On the end of the rack for the movable wrench jaw is a phillips screwdriver. Yes, it is slightly inconvenient to have to open the wrench all the way in order to get at it. And yes, it does wiggle around some during use as the wrench jaw doesn’t fit perfectly snug in its channel. And it certainly needs a lot of clearance in order to use, much like a backspring-mounted phillips screwdriver on a Swiss Army Knife. But the rack-mounted phillips IS better than no phillips at all, and also has the ability to reach into shallow recesses.

The most-used feature on my Li’l Guppie so far is the knife blade. It has saved my bacon on a couple of occasions already. (Well, it saved my bacon from having to walk a long ways across the shop to get a utility knife. And once while I was up on a ladder!) ::) The knife has a useful Wharnecliffe shape, great for poking holes or picking slivers. The large hole suggests that it can be opened one-handed, but my thumbs are too big and clumsy to manage this properly.

Not to be overlooked, a nice big notch in the frame prevents your index finger from sliding up into the sharp area when using.

CRKT Li’l Guppie

Good:
Small size, especially how thin it is
Wharnecliffe knife blade
Pocket clip and carabiner carry options

Not so good:
Wrench is small. I haven’t found anything yet suitable to use it on.
Blade does not lock open, although this may be preferable in some locations.
Phillips screwdriver is a bit unwieldy.

Dimensions:
Length      3" (77mm)
Width      1-1/2" (39mm)
Thickness   1/4" (7mm)
Weight      2 oz (56g)
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Re: CRKT Li'l Guppie
Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 05:45:47 PM
Nice write up :) Great pics too 8) It's definitely high up on the list of tools to acquire!
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 06:02:24 PM
Great review that Bob.  :) 

The Li'l Guppie does look like a handy thing to have, but I think I will be investing in it's bigger brother.
I'm back!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 11:53:32 PM
Great write up as ever Bob :cheers:, I can't say that it does anything for me :(, it's just too small to be useful :-\
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 11:55:10 PM
Great write up as ever Bob :cheers:, I can't say that it does anything for me :(, it's just too small to be useful :-\

How about the Guppie then?
I'm back!!

Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 11:59:15 PM

How about the Guppie then?
No don't like that one either ::), but to be honest I've never been too impressed with there stuff anyway, I've owned a couple of there folder's, and I've played with a fair few and the quality has always been a bit naff, and the blade steel awful :(

Saying that, that was about 3 - 4 years ago and they may have lifted there game since then :)

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 12:02:51 AM
I have never handled any of their products so I can't really comment on their quality, but I do like the tools they produce and TBH I wouldn't be expecting Leatherman or Vic quality as on the whole their MT's are pretty damn cheap.

The Guppie really appeals to me.  :)  I think it would compliment a full sized MT very nicely.
I'm back!!

Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 12:06:11 AM
It may well be ok for the money, but it's just not for me :(, top marks for innovation and i do like the way that CRKT push the envelope, I just don't like the way they then build it down to a price (no offence intended).

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 12:08:20 AM
It may well be ok for the money, but it's just not for me :(, top marks for innovation and i do like the way that CRKT push the envelope, I just don't like the way they then build it down to a price (no offence intended).

When I get mine I'll send it on to you to see what you think.  :D  Saying that, I haven't heard any complaints about the quality so far in their MT line :think:.

Bob, how does it feel overall?
I'm back!!

Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 12:10:04 AM
Just like to point out the fact that I'm not a tool snob :D

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 12:11:00 AM
Just like to point out the fact that I'm not a tool snob :D

No need to say that mate.  ;)

... we already know you are.  :P :D
I'm back!!

Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 12:11:51 AM
Ok maybe I am a bit :-[

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #12 on: May 05, 2008, 12:46:23 AM
Great review buddy, I got it up on the main site for you, front page and all. :)

David

Reply #13 on: May 05, 2008, 12:48:27 AM
Why don't any of my review make it there :cry: ;) :D

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #14 on: May 05, 2008, 01:25:33 AM
Great review buddy, I got it up on the main site for you, front page and all. :)

David

Thanks Dave ol' pal, you are the greatest!!  8)

Because you don't suck up to the Site Manager as well as I do!  :D
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 03:14:03 AM
Nice review. Those in-hand shots are excellent and something I have yet to see for this tool. How do you think it works on a keychain? I'm wondering if the size would be an issue, but the weight looks good

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 03:33:00 AM
It might be a little too big yet for a keychain. :-\  Some folks wouldn't mind it, some would.

To be honest, it fits in the little coin pocket in my jeans so well that I haven't carried it any other way.

Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008, 09:55:36 AM

David

Thanks Dave ol' pal, you are the greatest!!  8)

Because you don't suck up to the Site Manager as well as I do!  :D
That can change :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62