Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Ordered a Zippo. I don't smoke

Offline marty1990

Ordered a Zippo. I don't smoke
on: August 23, 2013, 03:20:55 PM
Think it's been about a year since I last posted on here, but figured I'd share with you all that... I've ordered a Zippo lighter. And I don't smoke.

Was wondering if any of you guys carry a Zippo/any other lighter as part of your EDC? I mean, currently, for everyday use, my standard EDC includes my wallet, phone, change and keys... and on the keys I have a Gerber Dime. I then have other random Swiss Army Knives and a Gerber Mini Paraframe in random jacket pockets - just in case. One thing I've never bothered to carry with me is a lighter - purely because I don't smoke... but figured it could be handy, so I decided to order a Zippo. I didn't want a BIC or anything like that, since a Zippo just seems nicer.

So yeah, do any non-smokers carry around a lighter? In what circumstances do you use it?

Also, in regards to Zippo's, I've read that the lighter fluid can evaporate if the lighter isn't used that often. So, if I were to use it a couple of times a day, would that be enough to keep it lasting?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Re: Ordered a Zippo. I don't smoke
Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 03:26:11 PM
The fuel will only last a certain amount of time if you leave it there or not - basically if you don't use it, it will evaporate. Using it a little bit won't slow down the evaporation  :pok: For a non-smoker you've probably picked the perfect lighter, as if you ever get tempted to start, your lighter won't light  :D :D :D

It sounds like you need a butane lighter  ;) Maybe get a thunderbird insert or a zippo blu, or even another nice lighter .... but otherwise if you ever do need to use the zippo, it'll be dry

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 05:32:02 PM
I often carry a lighter, and I do not smoke, but then it's usually a Djeep or a peanut, on cause of the evaporation problems with Zippo or Imco. I use it to remove fluff from webbing, seal the ends of paracord, light source, even light a candle or two. ;)

us Offline airballrad

• Gadget Addict
Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 06:45:48 PM
I carried a Zippo for years as a smoker. They are durable, nice to look at, and fun to play with. When I quit smoking I quickly discovered, as has been mentioned, that it was always dried out on the occasion I did need to use it. There are quite a few other lighters that will fill that role better, but I have gone with the simple mini Bic. Still durable, and while not as fun to play with or fun to look at they are very reliable and inexpensive as hell.  :cheers:

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 11:34:22 PM
Either a Zippo or a IMCO.

Zippos are super cool to play with,but the fuel will vapourish after about 5 days.  I done a test with a IMCO Junior,which went about two weeks without needing fuel...there's a thread about it somewhere :think:

The other thing you can do is get a butane insert for your Zippo. Ask Taxidad :pok:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

Offline Blitzwing

Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 11:57:43 PM
I Don't smoke..

I have 5.. Brass 1941,brass armor, black crackle, brushed stainless, and copper

I have a thunderbird butane insert and a z plus one..  They work great

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 01:17:38 AM
I carried a bic and am a non smoker then one day I stopped carrying it and the landscaper needed one for gopher smoke bombs and I was  :facepalm:
I now have one in the truck again.
Esse Quam Videri

ph Offline Teofilo

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 02:36:01 AM
I quit smoking 3 years ago and I used to carry a Zippo. For edc, bic or cricket lighters are ok with me.

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 03:53:56 AM
I'd love to have a Zippo, but as others have mentioned, the fuel will evaporate too quickly.
So, I carry mini bics instead, they're cheap and cheerful :) and they get the job done
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

Offline marty1990

Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 02:29:14 PM
Guess what's just arrived? My Zippo. Kinda wish I'd bought a 'nicer one', i.e. one of the designed ones, as I think I'll most likely keep this in the house after your replies, haha.

Question. Zippo's are generally built to a good standard, right? Just, I ordered this off Amazon (UK), and it didn't come with the orange safety sticker, and there's a dint in the outer casing. Not too noticeable, but I thought Zippo's quality control was good? *shrug*.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 24, 2013, 02:57:25 PM
I used to keep a Zippo in my bad and sealed it as best I could with LX tape. A couple of passes round the gap and then some from top to bottom to force the lid closed and stop the other tape coming off. Worked reasonably well but not as good as just keeping a cheapo around!

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: August 24, 2013, 03:06:07 PM
Either a Zippo or a IMCO.

Zippos are super cool to play with,but the fuel will vapourish after about 5 days.  I done a test with a IMCO Junior,which went about two weeks without needing fuel...there's a thread about it somewhere :think:

The other thing you can do is get a butane insert for your Zippo. Ask Taxidad :pok:
I wasn't impressed with the 'insert' TBH (just spotted this thread) the whole essence of a Zippo, to me as an 'ex' smoker, is the combination of that gorgeous 'clink' followed by the 'woof' of flame  >:D ...... then the warm silky embrace of that intoxicating grey ghost stroking your lungs....  :twak: :twak: :twak:
 :b2t:
get a bic ! or a 'peanut' lighter if you just want an emergency flame to count on ! I carry a butane jet lighter (cheep ! couple of quid at the most, probably last me forever) I don't use it much, just for burning the ends of rope/string, lighting Birthday candles and the suchlike but I find it a comfort to have a means of making flame (just in case) I would guess rubbing sticks together would suck if I was cold and truly needed fire ?
AND if a pretty lady needs a light  ;)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 03:42:33 PM by Taxi Dad »

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
Reply #12 on: August 24, 2013, 03:24:33 PM
I don't smoke, never did, but I do carry a lighter (one of those cheapo's from the supermarket, not even Bic) Comes in quite handy, indeed, as I'm often around smokers, or just random flame-related tasks. Oh, and of course, great for opening beer  :drink:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: August 24, 2013, 04:26:48 PM
Well I do carry a Zippo, but I also smoke.  If you get in the habit of topping up the fuel once a week then I don't think the evaporation is a big problem.  I do also carry a 'peanut' lighter on my keyring that has a o-ring and never seems to suffer from evaporation, a handy back-up if my Zippo runs dry.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: August 24, 2013, 04:41:21 PM
I don't know if it's normal, but I left my Zippo going for a bit a once and ended up with a ginourmous flame out of it. A bit alarming!

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 24, 2013, 05:13:46 PM
a friend of mine burned his parents house down leaving his 'zippo' running "to burn off the excess fuel"  :facepalm:

* I forgot to mention, he left it burning and went out for the evening  :facepalm:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 05:16:59 PM by Taxi Dad »

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: August 24, 2013, 07:31:06 PM
a friend of mine burned his parents house down leaving his 'zippo' running "to burn off the excess fuel"  :facepalm:

* I forgot to mention, he left it burning and went out for the evening  :facepalm:

Well, I don't want to get into calling your friend names, but that was kinda.......foolish?  :doh:
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Offline marty1990

Reply #17 on: August 24, 2013, 07:52:12 PM

What, did he leave it underneath a curtain or something?? From what I've seen - though I've only had mine a day, nothing could burn unless the flame is directly near something flammable :/

Sounds like a plonker anyway.

Okay guys! We have a problem. I'm going to order myself a cheap butane lighter. And I'm considering another Zippo. Just cuz I like one of the designs. Oh what a slippery slope. At this rate I'm going to have a load of multitools, penknives, and lighters.

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: August 24, 2013, 08:10:00 PM

Well, I don't want to get into calling your friend names, but that was kinda.......foolish?  :doh:
his dad used many 'names' for him Gareth, don't remember him using 'Foolish' tho  :rofl:

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #19 on: August 24, 2013, 08:29:41 PM

Marty,

+1 For the peanut lighters  :tu:

I have one of on my keyring, I use it about once every two or so weeks and have to top it up every couple of months
(It very occasionally unscrews itself in my pocket maybe 3 times in the last two years)

If you are in the US
http://www.countycomm.com/sslight.html

Or this Guy is good to deal with and will post outside the US
http://www.endtimesreport.com/survival_shop-Lighters.html#Stainless

I don't think we are helping with your new addiction  :D

Everything’s adjustable

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: August 24, 2013, 08:59:18 PM
What, did he leave it underneath a curtain or something?? From what I've seen - though I've only had mine a day, nothing could burn unless the flame is directly near something flammable :/

Sounds like a plonker anyway.

I ended up with a foot high flame out of mine before I panicked and knocked it on the floor whilst trying to put it out  :ahhh

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #21 on: August 24, 2013, 10:40:32 PM
Get a peanut lighter and/or zippo blu! Just to help you with your addiction...  :whistle:
There is no magic therefore gadgets!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #22 on: August 24, 2013, 10:47:45 PM
I've got a zippo, but like others have said there not great at being kept for emergencies due to the evaporation problem :cry:

What about a ferro rod as that's what I use :)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #23 on: August 24, 2013, 11:01:14 PM
Does anyone have a Zippo Blu?Are they any good?
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: August 25, 2013, 11:28:17 AM
oh you smuring mothersmurf I didn't even know there WAS  such a thing, one google and now I want one  :twak:

"I don't need it I don't need it I don't need it!"
 :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #25 on: August 25, 2013, 03:04:56 PM
Does anyone have a Zippo Blu?Are they any good?

I have one. It is thicker than a traditional zippo and harder to light. You have to press down on a flint wheel for a second before you light it or it won't light reliably. And it doesn't stay light if you turn it further than horizontal position.  And they lack the platinum wire coil, so they are not all that windproof.

But it is the only jet lighter with flint wheel ignition, and the flint mechanism can be pulled out to change the flint which enables you to use it as a spark to start fires even when you are out of butane. And now it comes in two versions, the older more curved one with a gas level window and the new one that is closer to traditional zippo style without gas level window

Offline Blitzwing

Reply #26 on: August 25, 2013, 03:07:06 PM
I played with a blu... They're nice but don't have the same feel.

I love my thunderbird zippo insert for mine... No leakage and has a good flame, I'd like to try one of theirs that does the "zippo"  flame

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: August 25, 2013, 03:08:22 PM
Cheers guys,that's £40 saved :tu:

si Offline lister

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: August 25, 2013, 09:41:09 PM

gb Offline Sparky415

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #29 on: August 25, 2013, 10:27:24 PM
 :drool: :drool:
That's one sexy looking lighter Lister  :salute:

Love the last line on their page....