Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Which UNPOPULAR tool have you found is excellent for daily use?

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Following on from THIS thread on popular tools that don't work for you, which unpopular tools have you found to be very good for you?

I have to say the IDL T5 and T7 are excellent little keychain pliers and drivers, and a superb accompaniment to a SAK such as a Climber or Traveller. The Screwzall is another great little addition to a keychain  :tu:

The Bucktool X-Tract Essential and Fin are probably my favourite tools based around locking knives, and in many ways I prefer them to the 111mm Vics and Wenger Rangers for comfort/ergonomics and also for the blade itself. The pliers on the Fin are pretty useful too

The Gerber MP700 is a winner for me, although these days it has been nudged towards the sidelines a little by the Balance which seems to have taken over it's role (see my REVIEW on the Balance)

Although it's still early days and it's not a tool I often have much call to use, and I was initially quite disappointed by it, the Gerber Grappler was surprisingly useful when trying it out for THIS review

I'll add others as they spring to mind ... but in the meantime, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has found some love for the less popular tools  :pok: :pok: :P :D :D

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

nl Offline bmot

• No Life Club
  • Don't judge a tool by it's brand
I'm absolutely in love with the SOG switchplier  :whistle:

Just clicking the button all day is so addicting (and annoying  :whistle: )

But also, certainly when accompanied by a SAK (Climber, most of the time) I find it packs some very useful features in a small package. Also, love the sheath that comes with it :)

All in all, I do think it gets far too little attention around here  :whistle:
A knife-carrying guide for the international traveller. : http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,47532.0.html

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Any SAK with a back tool Phillips...

Love the Phillips...LOVE THE PHILLIPS :rant:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

• Zombie Apprentice

Strange boy ...  ::)

:P

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • North American Meetup: May13-15 2011
Many of the one piece tools. 

Especially

PocketTool X (Leatherman ) Piranha
Atwood  Prybaby
Atwood Crypto
Atwood Funnybone
Atwood Croconut
Atwood Doubleheader

I also really like the PocketWrench II but that one is quite popular so it's not on the list.  :D

• Zombie Apprentice
 :tu:

It seems Atwoods are very popular .... but not to use/carry  :think: I can't actually think of anyone other than you that posts to say they've used/carried one. Gadget Guy perhaps?

I'm absolutely in love with the SOG switchplier  :whistle:

Just clicking the button all day is so addicting (and annoying  :whistle: )

But also, certainly when accompanied by a SAK (Climber, most of the time) I find it packs some very useful features in a small package. Also, love the sheath that comes with it :)

All in all, I do think it gets far too little attention around here  :whistle:

Seen one and played with it, never owned one ...

I think there's a thread around here showing a failure point on them which put me off it. Though fans of the Wenger Ranger pliers should note that they operate in a very similar way too  ;) Good to see one getting some real world usage Tom  :tu:

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!

Strange boy ...  ::)

:P

Can I blame Kirk because I agree with him?  :think:  It's probably his fault that I like the Tinker so much.  Well, I know that it's my fault that Zed likes it too......  ;)  Also the Gerber MP series that have been getting flak from some people in the other thread.  With my Pro Scout, I never feel overwhelmed by a task.  :tu:
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
:tu:

It seems Atwoods are very popular .... but not to use/carry  :think: I can't actually think of anyone other than you that posts to say they've used/carried one. Gadget Guy perhaps?

To be fair, the prices some of these folks pay for a prytool, I'm stunned they'd even consider carrying it as pocket jewelry.   :ahhh

However, they are quite handy when you're on a ladder and need to wedge something up in the ceiling joists, or remove a little stuck nut...

cy Offline dks

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bored
I love the pen on 58mm victorinox, as I do not like carrying proper pens.
Kelly: "Daddy, what makes men cheat on women?
Al : "Women!"

[ Knife threads ]  [ Country shopping guides ]  [ Battery-Charger-Light threads ]  [ Picture threads ]

england Offline Taxi Dad

• No Life Club
WINGMAN !!!  :D
I would love the Quality to be a tad better (even at extra cost)

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Re: Which UNPOPULAR tool have you found is excellent for daily use?
Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 07:41:22 PM
It is a SAK, so it has a lot of fans, but it seems the Vic Spartan catches a lot of flak every time a thread is about which SAK people don't like. Personally, I find the Spartan an excellent little knife and it's probably the SAK I have the most of (in different versions).

us Offline Rs217

• Please send coffee
Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 07:49:09 PM
I'd say the Crunch, which I would guess is relatively unpopular mainstream, but I feel it's absolutely perfect in every way.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 08:19:18 PM
Gerber Flik. 8)  Even amongst Gerber fans it's not massively popular. :D

Leatherman Sidekick.  It's what I have in my pocket right now.  If it wasn't for the sprung pliers I'd like it even more.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 08:33:52 PM

Why am I not surprised?

Gerber Flik. 8)  Even amongst Gerber fans it's not massively popular.   :D

+1!
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

fi Offline AlephZero

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf smash!
Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 08:35:18 PM
From what I've gathered, the Skeletool doesn't seem to be very popular... However, it (with the bit kit of course) has all the tools I need (so far)  ;)
"Hoarder of weirdness,
Always posting random things,
I'm AlephZero" :ninja:

um Offline Mr. Whippy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #15 on: August 28, 2013, 08:59:50 PM
I'd say the Crunch, which I would guess is relatively unpopular mainstream, but I feel it's absolutely perfect in every way.

Is the Crunch unpopular?  I love mine.  I use it regularly for removing screws with stripped heads.

From what I've gathered, the Skeletool doesn't seem to be very popular... However, it (with the bit kit of course) has all the tools I need (so far)  ;)

Quite right!  I love my Skeletool!  :tu:

us Offline Bensasupertool

• No Life Club
  • Be like The Rifleman
Reply #16 on: August 28, 2013, 09:13:23 PM
The Skeletool. Yes the ergo's suck on the skele when the pliers are deployed and the driver bit digs into the palm. I like it as a knife alone with the addition of tools if I really need them. The pocket clip is a plus for me as well. Its a quick grab if im goin out to the store or just to have something light and useful on me.
CHECK YOUR SMOKE DETECTOR BATTERIES!  Everyone Needs a Halligan Tool.

us Offline rdub934

• No Life Club
  • Without POL, pilots are pedestrians
Reply #17 on: August 28, 2013, 10:35:13 PM

I fully agree with you. The Wingman gets a lot of hate (or dislike) about being low quality. But it is only low quality in relation to certain other MTs like SOGs, Multitasker, and other Leathermans - compared to the millions of cheapo, no-name multis out there, it is really nice. Quality is on par with most offerings from Gerber, and better than some. I have carried my WM a lot in the year and half or so that I have had it, and it has not failed me. Plus it's cheap and backed up by a solid warranty
"I wanna introduce you to a very personal friend of mine. This is an M41A pulse rifle. Ten millimeter with over-and-under thirty millimeter pump action grenade launcher." - Cpl Hicks

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: August 28, 2013, 10:44:12 PM
Just thought of another; my old LM Freestyle.  NOBODY seems to get/like the Freestyle here.  I always think a fundamental shift in expectation needs to happen when looking at the Freestyle.  Most look at it and think "there's a MT with hardly any tools", whereas I believe that if you look at it as "a OHO knife with added pliers" you'll be a lot happier. ;)

It carries like a OHO knife, basically not much bigger than something like a Spyderco Delica, but YOU GET A FREE SET OF PLIERS!  :ahhh

:D

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #19 on: August 28, 2013, 11:15:09 PM

Yes and Yes for both of these LMs.  I love the skeletool for exactly what it is, a decent blade, a good plier, and versatile driver ( if you carry the bits ).  The wingman sees mostly home usage but even with that it stays very busy and hasn't let me down ever.
Esse Quam Videri

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #20 on: August 28, 2013, 11:24:30 PM
Just thought of another; my old LM Freestyle.  NOBODY seems to get/like the Freestyle here.  I always think a fundamental shift in expectation needs to happen when looking at the Freestyle.  Most look at it and think "there's a MT with hardly any tools", whereas I believe that if you look at it as "a OHO knife with added pliers" you'll be a lot happier. ;)

It carries like a OHO knife, basically not much bigger than something like a Spyderco Delica, but YOU GET A FREE SET OF PLIERS!  :ahhh

:D

Good call!  :tu: Nope, I haven't looked at the Freestyle that way, I'll be honest I've always been in the "what's the point" camp. However, that "knife with extras" view is exactly how I look at the X-Tract Fin and Essential, so I can fully relate to what you're saying  :salute:

As an aside, the Skeletool is starting to amuse me now  :D It was listed by several in the other thread saying it's a popular tool that didn't work for you AND listed by several in this thread as unpopular but great  :D :D

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #21 on: August 28, 2013, 11:32:21 PM
It highlights what was always the problem I had with the Skeli...I tend to view,and use,MTs as a mobile toolset that happens to have a knife built in(same with most SAKs too!),where the Skeli is a oho knife with pliers and pit driver attached

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #22 on: August 28, 2013, 11:57:06 PM
It highlights what was always the problem I had with the Skeli...I tend to view,and use,MTs as a mobile toolset that happens to have a knife built in(same with most SAKs too!),where the Skeli is a oho knife with pliers and pit driver attached

That would be all well and good if the ergonomics weren't so horrible on the pliers, you didn't have to have the tool half open to use the stubby driver, and the bottle opener didn't work completely backwards   >:D

In fairness I think the Skelly is another "emotive" tool very much like the Juice line, and one that'll split the crowd in terms of opinion. On the whole though, I'd consider the Skelly a rather popular tool ;)

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #23 on: August 29, 2013, 12:03:17 AM
well...mine has been the suspension.
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #24 on: August 29, 2013, 12:04:33 AM
Well that one definitely qualifies for this thread  :tu:

:rofl:

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #25 on: August 29, 2013, 12:10:51 AM
Minichamp is unpopular with many. It is a perfect keychain EDC for me.

Ἄφοβον ὁ θεός, ἀνύποπτον ὁ θάνατος· καὶ τ’ ἀγαθὸν μὲν εὔκτητον, τὸ δὲ δεινὸν εὐκαρτέρητον.
Φιλόδημος Γαδαρεύς

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #26 on: August 29, 2013, 01:29:56 PM
Well that one definitely qualifies for this thread  :tu:

:rofl:

Hahaha.  Exactly Al.

Sent from my Cruize W280 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

us Offline ducttapetech

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over.
Reply #27 on: August 29, 2013, 02:19:47 PM
Gerber Flik. I can't help it, but I like it. Carried one for a long time. I love the sliding pliers and the OH blade is sweet. The scissors are one of the best I have seen on a multitool.

sent from Ducttapetech's mobile
Nate

SEND IT!

gr Offline kkokkolis

• Τετραφάρμακος
Reply #28 on: August 29, 2013, 03:48:49 PM
Oh. Juice is kind of unpopular, with SAK fans at least. And among Juices, Xe6 and Pro are less popular, as heavy and asymmetrical. It isn't a SAK but I EDC it as a beater and use my Vic less often.

Ἄφοβον ὁ θεός, ἀνύποπτον ὁ θάνατος· καὶ τ’ ἀγαθὸν μὲν εὔκτητον, τὸ δὲ δεινὸν εὐκαρτέρητον.
Φιλόδημος Γαδαρεύς

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #29 on: August 29, 2013, 06:10:10 PM
Gerber Flik. I can't help it, but I like it. Carried one for a long time. I love the sliding pliers and the OH blade is sweet. The scissors are one of the best I have seen on a multitool.

sent from Ducttapetech's mobile
Well that makes two of us. :D  Actually I can think of at least one other member who still carries a Flik. :)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%