Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SwissTool RS Workout

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
SwissTool RS Workout
on: May 17, 2008, 03:45:53 PM
Last night at work I gave the SwissTool RS a pretty good workout.  The lock on the main door (Door A for the rest of this story- it gets a little confusing!) at the bar has been falling apart for some time now, and so I was asked to have a look at it.  After a quick look we realized there was no way this lock was going to survive, and so it needed to be replaced.  Out comes the SwissTool RS to disassemble it, despite the screws being stripped, rusted and/or corroded, while the other doorman ran off to the local hardware store to get a new lock.  The problem is that the lock (which we'll call Lock 1) had 5 keys which are all in management's hands, while the replacement (Lock 2) only comes with two keys.  Fortunately, all of the previous locks were keyed alike, and the lock on the second door at the bar (Door B, and Lock 3) was actually inaccessible because of the large pull handle over the lock that blocks you from getting a key into it.  I did have to get a bit fancy when I found out that the cutout in Door 2 was actually the wrong shape for the new bolt, so I ended up having to use the old bolt from Lock 1 in Door B, so it's got a collection of old and new parts in it now!  Fortunately it was only the mounting hardware on Lock 1 that was messed up, so the cylinder and bolt were salvageable.  Of course they were a slightly different design than Lock 3, so the cylinder wasn't useful for much, but since it's keyed like the other locks we decided to save it just in case.

So, basically I needed to take Lock 1 off Door A and dispose of the lock.  Then take Lock 3 off Door B and put it on Door A, then putting the new lock (2) on to Door B, which meant taking the handle off Door B to get at the lock in the first place!  All of this was accomplished with the RS, except for one small part of removing Lock 1 in the first place, where I had to resort to using the pry bar end of a tire iron to pry off the old back plate since the screws were seized on.

Anyone who has ever worked with locks knows quite well that locks are usually only replaced when they are completely screwed up, and so even though there are only a few pieces to each mechanism, they can be a real problem to change!  I have to say, the SwissTool RS did a better job than many, but I wished I'd had an original model with the metal saw so I wouldn't have needed the prybar!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: SwissTool RS Workout
Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 06:39:07 PM
Sounds like a poxy horrible job on next to no sleep mate ::)

Why were you carrying the RS over say the X anyway ???
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 07:23:51 PM
Mostly because I don't have an X, and the RS is my preferred model these days anyway.  I really like the curved rescue blade.

Still, I was glad I wasn't carrying the Skeletool!  I used the really large screwdriver/crate opener, chisel, pliers and most of the screwdrivers at one point or another... oh yeah, and the wire cutters to snap off the head of a corroded brass screw that refused to let go any other way.

I pounded and twisted the RS pretty hard throughout the entire job and there's not a bit of damage to it, no scratches, no dings, nothing, despite being used as a hammer and prybar.  While I don't advocate abusing tools, I did punish the RS pretty good last night and it came back smiling and asking for more.  To me, that is the epitome of a multitool.  Face it, a multitool is for those special circumstances where the right tool isn't available, and many of those circumstances will not be favorable, whether it be a fairly simple job like swapping out locks or being at the side of the road in a broken down car, or having your arm crushed under a rock slide.  In those circumstances, the tool simply cannot fail, because there is no way to continue on without them.  If the RS had broken last night, I would have had to make at least one trip home and back to work again with my tool box to do the job, while all the doors to the bar were propped open, and with only one doorman left in the building.  Maybe not life threatening, but it certainly does put him at a disadvantage.

Would I have been as confident in the PowerLock, Core, Surge or other heavy duty tools?  Maybe not as much as I was with the SwissTool, but I wouldn't hesitate to work any of them that hard.  That's what you pay for when you buy a quality tool.  It's not the functions or features, it's the peace of mind.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 07:25:47 PM
Very well worded!  :cheers: 
B

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 07:36:10 PM
Thanks.  It's just lucky that I happened to have a heavy duty tool last night.  I tend to just grab whatever is handy on the way out the door and the RS was out in the open.  I'm glad I didn't grab a Juice or Skeletool, or even the Guppie or Flik.  Each of those tools is more than adequate for what it's meant to do, and also for a reasonable amount beyond that, but with the heavy prying and cutting, none of those would have sufficed.

The only time I wished I'd brought the Guppie or SpydeRench was when I had to unscrew a rather large bolt on the door handle, but I managed to do it with the pliers on the RS.  It would have been easier with an adjustable wrench, or even the locking pliers like on the Crunch, but then it would have been even easier if I'd had a fully stocked tool chest and a good cordless drill.  At some point you have to draw the line between function and convenience, and last night that line had SwissTool written all over it!

I think I'll be sticking to heavy duty tools for a while... I've always liked the heavy duty tools because you get so much more for only a slight increase in weight- let's face it, if we were that worried about the extra weight, we'd be better off to lose a few of our own poundage before we could complain about the extra ounces on a multitool!  I can think of many times when I've thought "Boy I'm glad I grabbed a heavy duty tool before I left" but I don't recall any time where I've thought "Gee, I wish I had something light duty because this SwissTool (or PowerLock or Surge or Core etc) is just too much overkill!"

I've encountered jobs too big for small and regular sized tools, and I've encountered jobs too big for even heavy duty tools, but I rarely if ever find jobs that are too small for the SwissTool!

Def

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 09:42:29 PM
What a post  :o I agree with you on so many things you have written .  If I may quote you on a couple of them ?

I have to say, the SwissTool RS did a better job than many, but I wished I'd had an original model with the metal saw so I wouldn't have needed the prybar!

Its a hard call isnt it ?  But supposing you had come across a car crash on the way home or a customer who had a heavy bleed and you need to cut clothing to get to it , that belt cutter sure would have been handy then  ;)

By Micky d
Why were you carrying the RS over say the X anyway

Although the X is favoured by alot of people on here the RS offers superb cutting performance . When you really need that curved serrated blade your really going to need it alot more then a file . The best time I used it was cutting the rigging from a capsized dinghy in surf .It had filled up with sand underneath and was very heavy .We needed it over in a hurry incase there was someone underneath and this was being hindered but the sails and rope . The RS belt cutter earned its keep that day , often cutting under water as well . This brings me to quote Def again ..

In those circumstances, the tool simply cannot fail, because there is no way to continue on without them

That really sums the Swisstool up .

If any one doubts how effective the RS curved belt cutter is get an old pair of Jeans and starting at the bottom cut up along the leg ( I dont advise wearing them at the time ) then get another knife of your choice and compare it on the other leg .

I really enjoyed reading your post Def ,

Thanks

Dunc

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 09:58:08 PM
I agree on the use of large tools, I would use them more often if not for how little I use my tools lately. All the time now it's Skeletool first and a Supertool 200 in my lunch box. If I give up and the Skeletool cannot handle it I get something bigger. As a matter of fact I gave the Skeletool a run for it's money last night, the floor machine has been tore up for some time and someone had it "rigged" and it was letting out more water than it was suppose too. Skeletool in hand I took hoses appart and reconnected others. Armed with nothing but pliers and screwdrivers I handled the task, most of the time I wanted to get a dedicated tool but didn't have one around. The tool pulled through and now our machine works like it suppose too. Just another cheer for multitools!  :cheers:

David

Offline Anthony

• No Life Club
  • Improvise.
Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 10:27:44 PM
Def do you think a Spirit would have done the job also?

[

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 10:45:41 PM

I imagine it would :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 10:47:12 PM

Please forgive me for replying to this with my opinion but I think the Spirit would be ok for most stuff . Its a strong well built multitool but it doesnt have the amount of metal around it that the full size Swisstool has . Its going to be interesting to see what Def has to say as he knows the limitations of both tools and would know if the Spirit could handle the job he done .

Dunc

Offline Travis Autry

Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 11:14:23 PM
Great thread!  It's good for mind, body and soul to give a good tool a solid work out and watch how well it performs.

Another story that illustrates the value of having a multitool on you.  Like those of us here really needed it!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 01:23:07 AM
I think the Spirit would have handled it, but not with the same certainty as the SwissTool.  In fact, most quality multis on the market would have handled it, provided they had the right options.  The RS wasn't the perfect choice as I proved with the saw thing, but like any great multitool, it offered enough choices that I was able to improvise. 

Getting back to the Spirit, I have to say that while I do like the Spirit, I wouldn't have felt the same confidence as I would with the SwissTool.  There's just something about it- like Dunc said, there's so much metal wrapped around it that it's virtually impervious, like a Sherman tank.

Def

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 01:53:51 AM
you never know what will come up. i was biking the other day 9borowed a friend's bike) and came across a stranded biker.  I loaned him my swiss tool while he gixed the bike. i may have saved him from a very long walk.

au Offline MultiMat

• The MTO handshake.
Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 03:47:20 AM
"IT's Alive" Frankinlock.  :P . That is a great story Def nothing beats having to improvise & having success . Now if you get a job at Fort Knox and have to do some lock adjustment, that would be a  work out.

"Downunder Mod (that sounds dirty, doesn't it?)"
Yeh Baby :P >:D >:D

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 04:09:09 PM
very good thread, now I want to carry my RS more and lose weight! :P
just out of curiosity, you've mentioned before of having to do things
like that at work, why don't they have a tool box with dedicated tools at work?

us Offline Viking

• J-sews Fan Club-- Member #0001
Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 04:13:45 PM
very good thread, now I want to carry my RS more and lose weight! :P
just out of curiosity, you've mentioned before of having to do things
like that at work, why don't they have a tool box with dedicated tools at work?

I think Def hid that toolbox so he could use his multi's.  What fun would it be to use the dedicated tools? :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: May 18, 2008, 06:21:36 PM
There is a tool box at work, but it's one of those cheap 100 piece toolboxes that you get for about $10 at Wal Mart.  You know the kind- they have a hammer with a six inch shaft, a few sockets, a bunch of screwdriver bits guaranteed to strip the first time you use them...

Tools aren't a priority for the bar, and with guys like me and one of the regulars (who is an electrician and always has his van there), there really isn't a need for them to invest in their own tools.

Def

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #17 on: May 18, 2008, 06:53:13 PM
ohh. if you had not had your "work horse" things might/could have gotten worst!

more than a guard dog!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 07:38:03 PM by WhichDawg »

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: May 18, 2008, 07:10:29 PM
Where'd you get that old picture of me?  Man I was so scrawny back then....

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%