Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Some quick thoughts on the Gerber Balance from an IT guy

us Offline 3rdpig

Some quick thoughts on the Gerber Balance from an IT guy
on: September 05, 2013, 01:58:54 AM
Based on how much I liked the Fit, despite thinking it was flawed, I decided to buy a Balance and after one week of carrying it every day, here's my thoughts.

First I have to say that it's pretty well made with nice fit and finish. I complained about the finish work on the scales on my Fit, but these are nice and fit nearly perfectly.  In fact, the overall fit and finish on my Balance is superior to the on my Rebar, something that Leatherman should take serious note of.

It's easy to handle, there are no sharp edges or other nasty surprises like previous Gerber models have sported.  I wish the pliers locked into the handle, which is an easy, 10 minute fix I've made to almost every sliding pliers Gerber tool I own, but so far I haven't figured out how to do it on the Balance.  But I will since I'm tired of them opening in my pocket.

So, as an IT guy what's important to me?  First and foremost, the bit drivers.  Second, scissors.  Next it's a mix of pliers, cutters and something to pry with.  Everything else is secondary and will probably be on the SAK (usually a Super Tinker or Cybertool) in my other pocket.  And a flashlight, but that does't come into play here.

The bit drivers are very good.  They don't use standard bits, but for me that's fine.  In my bag is a full set of precision drivers if I really need them.  I just avoid digging it out if possible.  The bits fit computer and electronic screws well for anything the size of a small notebook and up.  Having two bit drivers means I don't have to fiddle with bits and a bit holder.  I like that.  If I have to deal with anything other than large and small phillips or flathead screw it's probably something I'd have to dig into my bag for even if I had my Cybertool, Wave or Spirit.

The scissors are easily capable of cutting through clamshell packaging as well as plastic wire ties.  This has to be one of my most common multitool jobs when I'm working.  The scissors on most other tools will get the job done with some work, but the Gerber scissors looks at tough plastic ties and packaging and chuckles, snorts and then eats them alive.

The pliers are pretty well designed for what I do.  They're fine enough to go after pin jumpers and sturdy enough to twist out the occasional stripped screw.  The cutters are ok for the little cutting I do, about the toughest is coat hanger.  The plier tips are ground well and meet evenly (better than my new Rebar.  Oh Leatherman, how far you have fallen!).  One well thought out point, the pliers are offset to one side of the tool, something that every tool should have.  It lets you get a better grip on that stripped screw that's flat against a large surface.  Thanks for that Gerber.

The CE knife is pretty decent, in fact it might be my favorite knife blade from the 10 or 12 Gerber multitools I've owned.  I don't use a knife that often at work other than to open the occasional box.  It doesn't lock, but that doesn't matter to me for this type of tool.  One handed opening would be nice, but again, it's not really necessary.

There's NOTHING to pry with, not a single, solitary blade on it can be used for even the lightest duty prying.  That....totally....sucks.  But, I've got a SAK in my other pocket and if there's any one thing I learned from the 30 day Huntsman challenge, I don't have to be afraid to pry with the large flat screwdriver blade on a SAK.  So I guess this means I'm not retiring my SAK's anytime soon.

So all in all, I like it and will continue using it.  But, IMO, without a single tool I can pry with it's not perfect.  I don't pry that often, but when I need to I really need to.  Gerber almost hit the nail on the head with this one and I lift my glass to them for the solid work they did.  At least they're not wasting their time making snowboarding and bow hunting tools while the quality of their main product line slips under that of a Chinese made tool that I spent $20 on.

us Offline jerseydevil

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Join us! Embrace the Flicky Faith!
Re: Some quick thoughts on the Gerber Balance from an IT guy
Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 02:19:09 AM
Glad you're liking the Balance so far.  :tu:  I love mine, it sees a lot of use.  You're right, the lack of anything to pry with is one drawback.  But like you, I always have a SAK on me, plus there's a Gerber Shard on my keys if need be.  The non-standard sized bits have not been an issue for me at all, and the scissors are quite good, as is normal I've found for my Gerbers that have them such as the MP4/600.  I can't say though that I've had a problem with the pliers deploying while the tool is in my pocket.  In fact, I can't think of a single instance of that happening.   :think:  With the Octane, all the time.  Balance, no.....
There's no such thing as "Too pretty to carry".  There's only "Too pretty NOT to carry"...... >:D

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 02:26:56 AM
A good read 3rdpig :tu:

For quite a while the MP700 was a tool I kept coming back to, time and time again. I can't actually remember the last time I carried one though, as the Balance seems to have taken that role. The nearest challenger at the moment for normal urban carry is a Wenger Traveller and IDL T7

I too would have liked a light duty pry-friendly tool, and an awl for that matter, but I usually have something else on me which will suffice. I've also not had any problems with the pliers deploying on their own

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 03:25:44 AM
I've sold a half dozen of the Gerber tools that I've had, two that come to mind right off the bat are the original tool, the one we like to call Mr Pinchy and the Flik.  I'd sell my Octanes since I hate them, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

But one I haven't sold is the Freehand.  Why?  Because I freaking love the prybar on it.  If it wasn't for that prybar I'd have sold that too and to be honest, I'm more likely to use the MP 800 (with a small prybar in my pocket) during home projects, but dang I love that prybar on the Freehand.

And the pliers on the Balance don't open all the way, but it seems like they're partially out, even if it's only 1/4 inch, every time I take them out.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 03:27:25 AM by 3rdpig »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD