Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

What is a " multi tool " ?

Offline lonediver

• The Lone Diver
What is a " multi tool " ?
on: December 16, 2006, 09:42:04 AM
Tha

« Last Edit: April 29, 2008, 02:18:02 PM by lonediver »
I

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: What is a " multi tool " ?
Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 12:35:33 PM
A couple of your links don't work- the Yahoo one you have to have an account and be signed in for (don't have it!) and the bynoon one comes up with an error.

Of course your question is indeed sound, as to what constitutes a multitool.  We've been trying to define that almost since day one here, and I don;t think we've gotten any closer.  And now, by giving us so much more to look at/think about, I think we are farther than ever before from a definative description!

In fact, I guess if one wanted to be technical, you could even consider something relativelyt simplistic, like the Becker Necker as a multitool since it incorporates a bottle opener into the butt of the knife, therefore having multiple tools and functions, and it is all one piece.  Same with my box tool from Lee Valley Tools- it's one piece (three if you count the handle scales, and four if you count the hockey tape I wrapped around the handle!) but it functions as a box, nail puller, pry bar and hammer.

As Kelly Bundy used to say, "The mind wobbles..."

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 06:27:18 PM
The SRTX looks kinda cool, but considering almost every edge is some kind of cutting surface, is it safe to use?  Also, with the ATAX I have to wonder why the guy's knuckles are bloody...

Cool ideas none the less!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 09:32:33 PM
I agree - I would need a handle attached to the SRTX or my nickname would soon be "Stubby."   ;)

Regarding the old "what is a multi tool" debate, my thinking is that it comes back to the difference between technicalities and common usage.
Technically: a good many products on the market - including SAK's - are "multi-purpose devices."
Common usage: when I hear the term "multi tool" I tend to think of a Leatherman type plier tool, with misc. folding implements.

Just my opinion of course......
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 10:48:52 PM
I was thinking along the same lines- it depends on how broad you are thinking.  I mean, one could consider a regular claw hammer as a multitool because it not only hammers but also pries- multiple uses.

A pencil could also be a multitool if you really wanted to get technical because it can write and erase. 

But I think we'll hold off on getting that broad, at least until Leatherman introduces tungsten carbide writing implements with titanium inserts!

Def

Offline spunkyruss

Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 06:51:24 AM
I don't know if this was previously discussed, but I have a similarly basic question.  How do you spell multitool?

multitool
multi-tool
multi tool

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 08:55:46 AM
I've always been under the impression that it was all one word, but I'm not entirely certain that it is an actual, recognized word at all.  The English language has been in such a state of flux for the last ten (or so) years that it's kind of hard to know what is an actual word and what is a slang term anymore.

If it is a slang term on it's way to being an actual word, then it's up to organizations like ours to define it.

Def

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 12:17:58 PM
I don't know if this was previously discussed, but I have a similarly basic question.  How do you spell multitool?

multitool
multi-tool
multi tool

Personally, I somewhat prefer "multitool", all one word.

However, I must be in the minority. For instance, if I search ebay for "multi tool" I get nearly ten times as many hits compared to when I search for "multitool."
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%