Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

CYC2: Return of the Executive

Nix · 1671 · 32188

Poll

After four weeks of use during this challenge, please rate the Executive as an EDC....

5 (highest)
3 (27.3%)
6 (54.5%)
1 (9.1%)
1 (9.1%)
1 (lowest)
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: September 01, 2018, 12:26:31 AM

us Offline cbl51

• No Life Club
Re: CYC2: Return of the Executive
Reply #1650 on: September 03, 2018, 03:31:50 PM
I'm looking at getting a motorcycle next, so what would the multitool equivalent be :think: A utilikey? A shard?

As a ex motorcyclist of decades experience, my only advise is; Don't.

I started with a little Honda super 90 as a teen, graduated to a Honda 750 when I was in the army, and in the 80's indulged my desire for a BMW. I started with a new BMW R65 in 1983, went to a BMW R80 in 1989, and a BMW K75 in 94. In 2001 when I turned 50 years old, I sold off the bike and never looked back. My life was spent in and around the Washington D.C area, and did trips up and down the Blue Ridge Parkway, out the coast and Ocean City Maryland, and trips here and there.

By the time I reached middle age, I had so many friends that had been very very badly hurt or killed that I quit. My friend Danny lost his left leg. A idiot driver decided to whip over to the right lane to make a turn, but failed to see Danny on his bike already in that lane and creamed him. My friend Jimmy was killed by a driver that ran a yield sign and said he never saw Jimmy.  My friend Ray was killed by an idiot in a Ford F150 that made a left turn from an oncoming lane right in front of Ray on his BMW K75 and hit him head on. Ray died instantly. All from no fault of their own, but a car driver not paying attention and straying into their lane of travel. I'd had some very very close calls, and I got more and more leery of riding. All this aside from the fact that if it's cold out, you're going to be cold no matter what high tech gear you put on. If it's wet, water will still seep in around the edges to chill you down no matter what kind of rain gear you have on. If it's hot, you're going to be hot. On top of it all combined, I just got very tired of it all. The risk factor, the lack of carrying capacity, exposure to any kind of weather. It didn't make any difference in my 20's or 30's, but by the 40's it was bugging me. Then the addition of the crazy drivers killing us off, that was it.

Then theres the false economy. A good size motorcycle is way more expensive to operate than a car. yes, some of them get good fuel milage. But putting two new tires on a full size motorcycle costs what four new tires for your car will be. And tire life is all of about 10,000 miles of your  lucky depending on the size and weight of your motorcycle. The last time I put tires on a bike was in 2000 on my BMW. It cost a bit over 500 dollars for two Metzler ME88 tires. Last year we put four new Michlen radials on our 2013 Camry and it cost 589.00 at the local tire dealer here in Georgetown Texas.  Repairs and maintenance is noticeable more expensive than up keep on a car. Don't be fooled by the "it gets way better fuel milage than a car" hype. You'll pay much more out on other areas.

Don't go motorcycling. Your family will thank you, your friends will thank you, and any kids you have or will have will thank you. I look back on the years I spent on motorcycles and it was like I was in the grip of some kind of temporary insanity that I thankfully came out of. It's like "What the hell was I thinking???"

You want the wind in your hair? Go buy a sports car and put the top down. You'll live longer. Trust me, I've been there and done that.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 03:53:26 PM by cbl51 »
Don't get too serious, just enough will do.

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1651 on: September 03, 2018, 04:25:26 PM
Wise words, Carl.

Having agreed with you, I'm going to step into my insanity role. Today I'm packing up to take my BMW R1200GS out for a week-long road trip.

I love the feel of riding (even as, over long distances, my knees start to ache, then groan, then scream.). There are few things that bring the sense of fun and freedom, that motorcycling can. On a motorcycle one is in direct contact with the landscape and weather. I see people driving in their cars with the windows rolled up, A/C on, and I feel sorry for them, being so isolated and out of touch. There is some real joy in riding, but yes, that may come at a price.

Yes, motorcycling carries more risk and more expense, but these can be mitigated to some extent. Drive cautiously, wear protective gear, learn to do a little maintenance.

Despite all that, I did manage to dump a triumph Thruxton while riding it on a rough and rutted dirt road (wrong bike for a nasty road), the broken wrist kept me off the bike for a few months, then it was Winter, so I was off a bike for about 8 months. Naturally I got right back on.

They ain't discovered cures for some types of stupid.

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #1652 on: September 03, 2018, 05:01:14 PM
This will continue to be my carry, I think I'll add a small keyring to it and hang a fisher bullet on it and a small flashlight perhaps, could be a bit too much haha

Btw, does anyone know of a cheap way to get more toothpicks? I use mine daily

(Image removed from quote.)

- stoneshank
If you do go adding the small flashlight, post a photo so we can see how much it has “grown”. Hopefully it is manageable.
Will do! I got the msg that it has not shipped yet, which in itself is a bit of an impressive feat in being slow. Week has passed and all they managed to do was to mail me that they did nothing so far

- stoneshank

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #1653 on: September 03, 2018, 06:22:07 PM
Wise words, Carl.

Having agreed with you, I'm going to step into my insanity role. Today I'm packing up to take my BMW R1200GS out for a week-long road trip.

I love the feel of riding (even as, over long distances, my knees start to ache, then groan, then scream.). There are few things that bring the sense of fun and freedom, that motorcycling can. On a motorcycle one is in direct contact with the landscape and weather. I see people driving in their cars with the windows rolled up, A/C on, and I feel sorry for them, being so isolated and out of touch. There is some real joy in riding, but yes, that may come at a price.

Yes, motorcycling carries more risk and more expense, but these can be mitigated to some extent. Drive cautiously, wear protective gear, learn to do a little maintenance.

Despite all that, I did manage to dump a triumph Thruxton while riding it on a rough and rutted dirt road (wrong bike for a nasty road), the broken wrist kept me off the bike for a few months, then it was Winter, so I was off a bike for about 8 months. Naturally I got right back on.

They ain't discovered cures for some types of stupid.

BMW Motorcycles, the choice of many an executive (hopefully carrying an Executive)--have a great trip!  In my 35 years of riding, I have taken many a motorcycle camping trip and have experienced so many breath-taking sceneries. Decades ago, I realized it was time to stop so I sold my bike and never looked back.  My wife and I have great memories of our rides through the years!

:cheers:

Jim

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1654 on: September 03, 2018, 06:29:51 PM
Thanks, Jim.

If you are interested, I'll be posting some photos over in the September Storm Wave challenge.  :tu:

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #1655 on: September 03, 2018, 10:38:00 PM
Thanks, Jim.

If you are interested, I'll be posting some photos over in the September Storm Wave challenge.  :tu:

Awesome bike Nix, I still ride although I'm down to a Yamaha tw200 for now, I'm eager to see their long awaited Tenere 700.
Enjoy your trip and I'll look for the pictures  :cheers:

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1656 on: September 03, 2018, 10:45:27 PM
 :2tu:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #1657 on: September 04, 2018, 04:14:35 PM
The challenge is over but the Executive is still with me. It's now part of my base EDC, along with the Nitecore Tube. They're joined by a recent purchase (just this weekend). Not 'cause I need it, just 'cause I love it!

8) 8) :tu: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline NorCalJim

• No Life Club
Reply #1658 on: September 04, 2018, 04:51:28 PM
Thanks, Jim.

:popcorn:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1659 on: September 05, 2018, 03:20:45 PM
Awesome!  I've always wanted a BMW bike.  The horizontal opposed engine rests well with my air-cooled heritage!
A buddy of mine had a Triumph Bonneville that he sold before I could get a shot at it.  I've always had a thing for the Bonneville.
Thanks, Jim.

Barry

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1660 on: September 05, 2018, 03:52:43 PM
Awesome!  I've always wanted a BMW bike.  The horizontal opposed engine rests well with my air-cooled heritage!

I used to ride motorcycles in the 1970's and '80's and my favorite bike was a BMW R75/5. :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1661 on: September 05, 2018, 03:54:13 PM
I love that bike Vicman! :drool:
Barry

us Offline VICMAN

• Zombie Apprentice
Reply #1662 on: September 05, 2018, 07:05:21 PM

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #1663 on: September 07, 2018, 02:14:09 PM
This will continue to be my carry, I think I'll add a small keyring to it and hang a fisher bullet on it and a small flashlight perhaps, could be a bit too much haha

- stoneshank
If you do go adding the small flashlight, post a photo so we can see how much it has “grown”. Hopefully it is manageable.
I got it today, this is some pictures to try to convey. Placement where on the suspension clip could be changed I guess? What do you think?

- stoneshank

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #1664 on: September 07, 2018, 03:57:38 PM

- stoneshank
I got it today, this is some pictures to try to convey. Placement where on the suspension clip could be changed I guess? What do you think?(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

- stoneshank

Cool! Get some S-biners. It's a very practical and convenient way to add/remove tools from the clip.

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

se Offline stoneshank

Reply #1665 on: September 08, 2018, 03:08:26 PM

- stoneshank
I got it today, this is some pictures to try to convey. Placement where on the suspension clip could be changed I guess? What do you think?(Image removed from quote.)(Image removed from quote.)

- stoneshank

Cool! Get some S-biners. It's a very practical and convenient way to add/remove tools from the clip.

:cheers: :tu:
Hmm, good idea, will try to find since small ones

- stoneshank

us Offline TonySal

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • join The American Legion Family - since 1919
Reply #1666 on: January 04, 2019, 03:59:40 AM
Just started a Little SAKs thread poll, Executive is in the lead. ...
join KNIFE RIGHTS

ca Offline Greg Jones

• No Life Club
Reply #1667 on: January 04, 2019, 12:21:51 PM
I voted Executive, it knocked a Classic off my keyring  :cheers:

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #1668 on: January 04, 2019, 05:47:06 PM
I switch out so much I voted that way.  Probably the only constant in my EDC is the little Opinel No. 4 that lives on my key ring.  I love my PTC, Vagabond, Mighty Minichamp, Classics, Executive,...  :facepalm:
Barry

us Offline El Corkscrew

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #1669 on: January 16, 2019, 05:17:07 AM
I wish I carried the Executive more but my go to seems to be a 58mm w/ a 93, 91, or 84mm.   When I carry a 91 or 84mm I miss the sturdiness of a 93mm and when I carry a 93mm I miss el corkscrew  :facepalm: That's probably too much non-Executive related information.  :facepalm: :facepalm:

If I had to describe carrying an Executive it would be neat, handy, and pocketable.  It's great for at home or the office, fits great in the pocket, and is a really cool size.   My real problem is I just enjoy too many SAKs and like using them for as many daily tasks as possible, including slicing up some food, opening cans and beverages, and signing things - awl of which the Executive is not really equipped for, so it's really a great secondary/support-SAK.   Thing is, it's a bit on the bulky side for my keychain, especially when I have plenty of smaller 58mm to fill that role. Occasionally I'll do without a keyring SAK and keep the Executive (or Ambassador) in the 5th pocket.  I feel I must mention, I have given several Executives to friends and they all say it's they're favorite SAK and really enjoy the size.
“All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure.” - Mark Twain

us Offline Nix

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #1670 on: January 16, 2019, 06:25:24 AM
El C, where are you on the 65mm SAK's?   :think:

Nothing wrong with the 58's, but I do like a 65.  :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31