Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Boker Minibar?

gdc · 31 · 13315

Offline gdc

Boker Minibar?
on: September 11, 2013, 06:13:30 PM
Does anyone have a Boker Mini bar?  It looks like a useful one piece tool, but I have not been able to handle one.

http://www.boker.de/us/other/150023.html

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Re: Boker Minibar?
Reply #1 on: September 12, 2013, 02:50:19 AM
Does anyone have a Boker Mini bar?  It looks like a useful one piece tool, but I have not been able to handle one.

http://www.boker.de/us/other/150023.html

Why would you pay $64.95 for this thing?
It seems really similar to the Leatherman Brewzer.
Leatherman

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 07:25:11 PM
I thought that looked quite nice until I saw the price.

no Offline Steinar

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 09:32:09 PM
I handled one when I visited the Böker shop in Solingen. They seem pretty nice, I just feelt it had to many pointy ends to be practical in my EDC. But I think it was pretty nice anyway.

Offline gdc

Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 06:58:23 PM
Hi all,

As a new member of this forum but a longtime reader, it is odd to me that people are objecting on the basis of price.  Atwood tools and other gadgets I like and, apparently many others to too, are expensive for what they do.  Anyway...

What I like about this tool is that it looks like a useful pry / scrape / lever tool and it is made in Boker's Solingen factory.  The stuff that comes from Solingen, as opposed to the Magnum or Boker Plus line, is very high quality in my experience.  Also, I have a Boker Cop Tool and while I like the scrape / pry / lever function, it is too bulky and heavy to be an EDC for me. 

The price--well, given that a Brewser or an SAK can do the same things--sure its pricey.  Compared to custom or mid-tech tools, its below average.  Also, in the U.S. you can picky one up for around $45 or so--

So, the size and Boker/Solingen's 440C and the design all make this look like a useful EDC.  I have carried quite a few one-piece tools and the pry / scrape / lever usability is limited by the size.  The Minibar is 4.5 inches which is fairly ideal.  My various Atwoods over the years are great but I end up not carrying them much because the leverage is too limited.  For opening paint cans or tightening loose screws, I love the Raker ring tool--long enough.  Also, I have a TT Zombie--does the trick.   

Anyway, I went ahead and ordered one and I will post comments after I carry it for a bit. 

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 07:36:35 PM
Looks like a micro FUBAR!

@gdc... I'm one of the heretics who don't get Atwoods,but you raise a fair point. The only thing I can think of is that the Bokers are mass produced,where as the Atwoods are crafted in a secret mystical location :oops:
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 09:48:11 PM
I will look forward to the review (if you would be so kind!) :)

Do you carry a OPMT already?

Kirk13: not sure it would be so good for removing those GIANT tent pegs though  :rofl: The Fubar worked well, dig in using the top bit as a T handle, grab the peg in the fork and lever up.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 09:49:59 PM by Cupboard »

Offline gdc

Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 03:18:39 AM
To provide context for my comments and to respond--I am an avid multi-tool user and my favorite tools are a Leatherman Charge TTi, a Raker ring tool, a Leatherman Micra, and an Atwood Crawdaddy.  Not all at the same time, though :).  I also have a couple of TT skulls as fobs on a couple of my daily carry knives. 

I loved the Boker cop tool's design--which is a great OPMT, though I don't see much discussion of it--but it is bulky and heavy.  The Boker version is only moderately well-made and I have never been willing to spring the $200 for the original Wilson version of the tool--nor will I.

The TT Zombie is an outstanding tool for small prying and I have it on a lanyard with a Spyderco Spin.  The Atwood Crawdaddy goes along less and less frequently these years past, but I keep it for Nostalgic reasons. 

I have high hopes for the Boker Minibar and we will see.  Its somewhat cheaper than an Atwood and the design is novel and looks handy.  The Boker / Solingen 440c is a good steel and the workmanship of the German knives is outstanding. 

ca Offline CanadianLMfan

• No Life Club
  • All Lurkers Please Join :D
Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 03:21:23 AM
The Minibar has no use in my EDC system.
Leatherman

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 09:21:01 PM
Hi all,

As a new member of this forum but a longtime reader, it is odd to me that people are objecting on the basis of price.  Atwood tools and other gadgets I like and, apparently many others to too, are expensive for what they do.  Anyway...

What I like about this tool is that it looks like a useful pry / scrape / lever tool and it is made in Boker's Solingen factory.  The stuff that comes from Solingen, as opposed to the Magnum or Boker Plus line, is very high quality in my experience.  Also, I have a Boker Cop Tool and while I like the scrape / pry / lever function, it is too bulky and heavy to be an EDC for me. 

The price--well, given that a Brewser or an SAK can do the same things--sure its pricey.  Compared to custom or mid-tech tools, its below average.  Also, in the U.S. you can picky one up for around $45 or so--

So, the size and Boker/Solingen's 440C and the design all make this look like a useful EDC.  I have carried quite a few one-piece tools and the pry / scrape / lever usability is limited by the size.  The Minibar is 4.5 inches which is fairly ideal.  My various Atwoods over the years are great but I end up not carrying them much because the leverage is too limited.  For opening paint cans or tightening loose screws, I love the Raker ring tool--long enough.  Also, I have a TT Zombie--does the trick.   

Anyway, I went ahead and ordered one and I will post comments after I carry it for a bit.
:cheers:

can't wait to read about first impressions! welcome to the forum buddy!
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

00 Offline Boyen

Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 06:45:16 PM
Hi all,

You really can't compare handcrafted items to mass produced items. Atwoods are valued based on their uniqueness and because they are a work of art.

If we were going to rate items based on their utility a SAK would be the most expensive item in the world.

This item is grossly overpriced for what it is.

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 07:31:16 PM
You really can't compare handcrafted items to mass produced items. Atwoods are valued based on their uniqueness and because they are a work of art.

It's a tool to me, and one that will get abused, scratched scuffed, possibly covered in smurf/oil/whatever. It's not judged by its prettiness or the bloke that made it, merely whether or not it does the job. Given two items that can both do the same job with an equivalent competency, assuming one doesn't have some glaring issues then the cheaper one will win.

I don't pull out my MT because it's a Leatherman, I pull it out because I'm trying to get a job done. I'd quite happily use bright pink tool with "user is an idiot" emblazoned on the side if that was going to do the job better than the bog standard steel one. Now if the Atwood does the job much better than an equivalent from someone else that it has value on my scale. Ditto the Minibar. Just because it's a Boker or an Atwood means diddly squat.

That said, please don't take it that my value scale is the only one going - it isn't by a long shot - but on mine, you most definitely can compare something handmade to something mass produced. I can make (and have made) a screwdriver: it was a heap of junk.

ca Offline jekostas

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 06:22:48 AM
Hi all,

If we were going to rate items based on their utility a SAK would be the most expensive item in the world.

This item is grossly overpriced for what it is.

Atwood tools aren't hand made, handcrafted or whatever else you'd like to call it, they're machine made.

By your criteria, that would almost certainly make them overpriced.

Offline gdc

Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 07:27:50 PM
Hmmm--this thread is drifting in an odd direction.  My willingness to pay for a nice pocket tool is partly aesthetic, but bound by utility.  I have paid for Atwoods and felt they were well worth the cost.  They are 'keep forever' tools that you can pass on to your kids.  There is not much in the world like that anymore.  That said, the fact that they are handmade in small batches is not a major consideration.  There are production knives that you will pay hundreds of dollars for.  Do you need to?  No.  For the money, a Spyderco Endura is probably the best knife going in terms of steel and functionality.  BUT I have paid way more for a knife than the Endura costs.  This is all not really my point here.

If I am going to need a toolbox, I bring a toolbox.  If I need a Leatherman, I bring that.  It is nice to just have a medium-sized knife and a pry tool much of the time, though.  That's just me.  I could carry a cheap stubby screwdriver and that would surely do the trick.  I don't though--I like pocket tools.  Anyway, the debate is fun to watch but I was really just asking if anyone had a Boker MiniBar or had used one...  :)

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 09:52:59 PM
I'm not so sure the question is of price, but of value. What do you get for your money? For me personally I wouldn't feel I'd got my moneys worth due to limited capability, and I'm not a fan of combining prying function in the same item as cutting function. To me that's asking for trouble. That's not to say this tool is a rip off though. Something is only worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. I wouldn't pay for this for the reasons mentioned ... but I'm sure there are plenty who would.

No I haven't used one, and even if I was gifted one, it would only ever be used for cutting, never prying whilst it has a cutting edge  :)

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

00 Offline Boyen

Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 09:20:41 AM
@jekostos arguing semantics is just far too boring. We both know what I mean and we both know I'm consistent in what I say, lets not make it any more difficult than it is.

@cupboard - you're more than entitled to your opinion and I don't disagree or agree. Based purely on utility an Atwood is a very bad deal, I'm saying that you are paying for artistic and uniqueness value on an Atwood and not utility. Surely there isn't an argument there?

If you only want to pay for utility, the utility of an Atwood can be gotten elsewhere for much cheaper. With the Boker, you're only paying for utility because quite simply, there ain't much else to it  :whistle:

gb Offline Cupboard

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 08:55:43 PM
 :tu:

@cupboard - you're more than entitled to your opinion and I don't disagree or agree. Based purely on utility an Atwood is a very bad deal, I'm saying that you are paying for artistic and uniqueness value on an Atwood and not utility. Surely there isn't an argument there?

If you only want to pay for utility, the utility of an Atwood can be gotten elsewhere for much cheaper.

Can't argue with that  :salute: :tu:

With the Boker, you're only paying for utility because quite simply, there ain't much else to it  :whistle:

:rofl:

Is it bad that I prefer the looks of it to many other OPMTs? It's got a bit of "I needed a beak, so I've got a beak. Deal with it." about it that I like. The times I need a lot of force on something I have been known to just wedge my Wave's pliers in and pull. Un-done quite a few M16 lifting eyes that way.

Offline gdc

Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 03:29:47 AM
Truly, very interesting where this thread has gone.  The whole issue of value is very much in the eye of the beholder.  As I said, my criteria are usefulness and the 'last forever' factor.  Not many tools have that but my experience with the Solingen-made Boker knives is very positive.  The Boker Plus knives are more of a mixed bag and Magnum---not my cup of tea, as they say.

I pay a premium for Atwoods for the same reason that I pay a premium to maintain my old Toyota Land Cruiser--a high quality tool has innate value to me.  Not trying to convince anyone here, just my 2c. 

Offline ChrisinHove

Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 10:32:53 PM
The Boker Minibar is a lovely bit of kit, but waaaay too much money to have as a workaday tool.  My old Bakuna pry bar takes the day to day punishment, with a CC widgey bar at hand when I need two.
I love the "handle" to it,  it's nicely made, and I wouldn't part with it, but it's jewelry. 

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #19 on: November 22, 2013, 12:14:38 AM
Welcome to the forum, Chris. :waving:

us Offline ironraven

• No Life Club
  • American Clandestine Materials Executive (ACME)
Reply #20 on: November 24, 2013, 01:26:26 PM
I like the design, but I think Boker is asking a bit much. But I say the same thing about Pete Atwood's jewlery to.

I think I'll keep my Pirahna in my pocket, and my Pocketwrench in my pack, with money in my wallet. But I won't lie, if my lottery ticket hatches into oodles and oodles of money, I'll probably get one becuase it looks like what you'd get if you asked a Klingon to design a one piece tool.
"Even if it is only the handful of people I meet on the street, or in my home, I can still protect them with this one sword" Kenshin Himura

Necessity is the mother of invention. If you're not ready, it's "a mother". If you are, it's "mom".

"I love democracy" Sheev Palpatine, upon his election to Chancellor.

Offline ChrisinHove

Reply #21 on: December 02, 2013, 09:32:55 PM
Here in the UK the piranha can be found for £31.23, whereas the minibar is £32.95.  I think both are overpriced.

The piranha has more functions, but the minibar has  more brio, which I think must be fairly central to some part of the EDC/multitool ethos, otherwise we'd be still carrying around our grandfathers tools.

us Offline David

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #22 on: December 03, 2013, 09:54:57 AM
I like the looks of it and think it would be very useful.
What? Enablers! Are you serrrrious? Where? I dont see any.
Hold Fast

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #23 on: May 20, 2014, 05:27:44 AM
 :drool:  Hey, I could use that!  Pants pocket carry looks questionable due to the pointy beak protruding high above the pocket clip.    A slip sheath might work better.

Video (in German) showing the Boker Minibar:

Böker Mini Bar Tool
Retired engineer, author.

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #24 on: May 20, 2014, 08:18:13 AM
Oh man, I hope you did not understand what he was saying.  :facepalm:

The 70 sec. contained "This is the Böker Mini Bar Tool", you can take it with you on a bike tour. You can pry with it. Maybe you need to pry on a bike tour. If you pry a tire off, you will scratch you rim. Professionals will know what else to do with it. I don't know. Now I show how big this is."  :rant:

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #25 on: May 20, 2014, 09:04:59 PM
Oh man, I hope you did not understand what he was saying.  :facepalm:

No, I didn't understand the language and viewed it for the images.

If you pry a tire off, you will scratch you rim. Professionals will know what else to do with it. I don't know. Now I show how big this is."  :rant:

I use Park Tool brand plastic tire levers especially made for removing bicycle tires.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 09:23:00 PM by parnass »

A man with one multitool always knows exactly which to use. A man with many multitools is never quite sure. - parnass

de Offline RT1969

• No Life Club
  • Straight Silver!
Reply #26 on: May 20, 2014, 09:49:22 PM
Yeah, plastic ones work satisfying for that.
I think you missed my point: That was all he said in this video. He literally said he had no idea what to do with this tool!
Sometimes I wonder why people make such videos....  :rant:

I understand the angle you are coming from, you were happy to see a video with the tool in it, showing it "in the flesh".  :) I just hoped it would be something more substantial.  :(

us Offline toolguy

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: May 21, 2014, 02:34:12 AM
I found this Boker Cop Tool for half the price of the Minibar.

Use: Tactical/Military/Law Enforcement/Hunting
Steel: 440C
Handle Material: G-10
Length Overall: 6"
Blade Length: 1.75"
Weight: 4.2 oz.

bo_BO300.jpg
* bo_BO300.jpg (Filesize: 13.79 KB)
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."  **Edmund Burke**

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."    **Benjamin Franklin**

us Offline Kampfer

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Tactical Desk Jockey
Reply #28 on: May 21, 2014, 08:58:31 PM
Handled a Mini-Bar in store, nice but too pointy to pocket carry, for that price, I pass.
EDC: Black Talon, Black Cat, Spirit, LD02

us Offline parnass

• No Life Club
  • 4x4 since '74
Reply #29 on: January 27, 2016, 08:31:59 PM
The Boker Minibar is a lovely bit of kit, but waaaay too much money to have as a workaday tool. ...

I like the Boker Minibar better than other pry tools because it provides at least 4 different ways to pry.  It is long and wide enough to apply leverage using both your palm and fingers without being painful.

I carry the Minibar in the same ballistic belt pouch as my multitool.

I agree it is expensive, so I kept searching until I found one for a reasonable price at an auction site.

The next least expensive source I found is GP Knives at $38.95 (US):

http://www.gpknives.com/boker-mini-bar-multi-tool-150023-steel-bottle-opener.html

« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 08:34:02 PM by parnass »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%