Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Discovery Channel featured Victorinox today...

Biru · 16 · 3148

Offline Biru

Discovery Channel featured Victorinox today...
on: May 08, 2008, 07:08:43 PM
I wish I had been more observant! While scanning channels on satellite, I came across a program on the Discovery Channel (I believe) called "How it's Made" or "How Do They Make It". One half of the show was devoted to something or other, but the second half showed a Swiss Army Knife being constructed in the Victorinox plant. The show followed the steel from beginning to knife. It was quite interesting. What was most interesting was that of all the construction methods, only the sharpening process was deemed off-limits to discussion! I had never realized this fact concerning Victorinox.

Bill.

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Re: Discovery Channel featured Victorinox today...
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 07:13:36 PM
Hopefully someone will have a link too it :)

As for sharpening I'm pretty sure Victorinox use a laser :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 07:14:02 PM
I'm sure it will be on again.  

I'll keep a look out. :salute:
I'm back!!

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 07:40:31 PM
I hope it gets posted on youtube and in english too .

Dunc

us Offline BIG-TARGET

• No Life Club
  • "Survival must be earned"-Klingon Proverb
Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 10:55:12 PM
I wish I had been more observant! While scanning channels on satellite, I came across a program on the Discovery Channel (I believe) called "How it's Made" or "How Do They Make It". One half of the show was devoted to something or other, but the second half showed a Swiss Army Knife being constructed in the Victorinox plant. The show followed the steel from beginning to knife. It was quite interesting. What was most interesting was that of all the construction methods, only the sharpening process was deemed off-limits to discussion! I had never realized this fact concerning Victorinox.

Bill.
It's the story about the birds and bees, SAK style!!  ::)
"Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall;
 Some run from breaks of ice, and answer none:
 And some condemned for a fault alone." -William Shakespeare, King Lear (1608), Act IV, scene 6, line 169

us Offline J-sews

• Admin Team
  • Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 04:19:33 AM
That would be an interesting show to see. :) Could you tell which model they were making?
In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools

Offline E. Danny

• 17 of 500
Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 04:37:03 AM
I was just watching How It's Made. They talked about pocket knives, but not Victorinox. Hrmmm...
~

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 05:09:16 PM
I've seen the one about Victorinox, and it's not about a particular model.  It starts off showing a guy fishing and he's using a Swisschamp.  The show is very interesting, and shows nearly all of the production process.  It doesn't show the sharpening--Victorinox keep that a secret.

The show must have been produced fairly recently, as the Swisschamp clearly has the new plastic magnifier.
- Terry

Offline Biru

Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 04:04:36 AM
Exactly!!! This fellow is fishing and is shown using the SAK. I was very impressed by the facility and the people. Although most factory personnel are going to spiel for the company while on TV, these people seemed VERY competent and intent on their jobs. I was also interested in the shots of the rivet assembly pre-capping. It made me absolutely proud to own my Swisstool. I've decided that I must get the Tool with the scissors (I have the original model with the serrated blade). I'm used to industrial wastelands around manufacturing plants, but Vic has a beautiful area. It reminded me of a photo I once saw of the Asahi Pentax camera works from the 50's-60's. Their area looked more like a park than a manufacturing area.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 09:52:30 AM
Did they actually show a Swisstool ?

Dunc

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: May 10, 2008, 04:59:22 PM
E.Danny, I saw the pocket knife one also. I am very eager to see the SAK one!
B

Offline Biru

Reply #11 on: May 10, 2008, 10:14:56 PM
Dunc:

Unfortunately they did not feature the Swisstool. I'd imagine that from an editorial standpoint (since the show started off about the traditional SAK), adding the Tool to the show would probably have confused the uninitiated viewer. I would have loved to see the construction details of the Tool. As I said, the most intriguing aspect was that Vic did not allow the details of the sharpening process. The plant appeared so tidy and clean that it looked like it would put our local hospital to shame. I actually want a SA knife now, even though I have problems buying one of them when there's so many cool MTs out there.

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 01:52:25 AM
Dunc:

Unfortunately they did not feature the Swisstool. I'd imagine that from an editorial standpoint (since the show started off about the traditional SAK), adding the Tool to the show would probably have confused the uninitiated viewer. I would have loved to see the construction details of the Tool. As I said, the most intriguing aspect was that Vic did not allow the details of the sharpening process. The plant appeared so tidy and clean that it looked like it would put our local hospital to shame. I actually want a SA knife now, even though I have problems buying one of them when there's so many cool MTs out there.

Thanks for the reply  :D If you dont already own a SAK then may I suggest a Victorinox Climber as a very good starting point .

Dunc

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 05:23:13 AM
that would be great to watch

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #14 on: May 11, 2008, 10:48:57 AM
Dunc:
 I actually want a SA knife now, even though I have problems buying one of them when there's so many cool MTs out there.
You need to get a Sak mate even if it's just to find out how great they are :)
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #15 on: May 12, 2008, 02:27:04 AM
I actually want a SA knife now, even though I have problems buying one of them when there's so many cool MTs out there.
I love plier based multi-tools but most of the time I have a SAK in my pocket. I don't like wearing sheaths and most of the time I just wear a lightweight pair of shorts so even a decent sized multi-tool is too heavy, but the Vic Fieldmaster I carry does about 99% of the things I need a tool for. And they're definitely a lot more pocket friendly than big bulky multi-tools. Even among the most timid sheeple a SAK is not going to intimidate someone.

If you dont already own a SAK then may I suggest a Victorinox Climber as a very good starting point .
A Tinker or Super Tinker are also good ones too.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%