Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I just picked up a Gerber Diesel

3rdpig · 12 · 1713

us Offline 3rdpig

I just picked up a Gerber Diesel
on: September 18, 2013, 01:10:57 AM
And I don't like it.

A few days ago a buddy of mine and I were discussing MT's and I told him I really didn't like Gerber's traditional sliding head plier design, and he told me that I'd love a Diesel.  So I bought a fairly nice used one off ebay, opened the package, fondled it for 5 or 10 minutes and I quickly realized that it's headed for the same drawer that the two Ocatanes, the MP 400, MP 600 and Freehand are in.

I like them because they're a neat piece of kit, well made and I'm always entranced by how much functionality they can squeeze in one and the different ways they do it. 

But I'm never going to carry and use one on a daily basis for more than a day or two before reverting back to a Wave, or to a lesser degree the Charge, Spirit or Rebar.  They're more compact, get the job done and get it done quicker, at least for me.

So why am I typing out this absurdly long winded diatribe?  Because I'm not a collector, I have no desire to have 20 multitools around, most of which I don't use and will never use.  So I'm thinking about selling them.

What do you all do with tools that you realize you're never going to really use?  Become a collector?  Sell or trade them? Give them away?  Juggle them to the delight of the opposite sex?

spam Offline scrappy

• Turd Bucket
  • No Life Club
Re: I just picked up a Gerber Diesel
Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 04:33:16 AM
That is a good question. Unfortunately I keep em :) but they are all users to. Just only get used once or twice in a lifetime. I have sold some but most I still have. I could use them more but like you, I find myself going back to my regular rotatin.

00 Offline kirk13

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 08:40:08 AM
If your going to get it on video,go for the juggling thing >:D
There is no beginning,or ending,and for this we are thankful,cos now is hard enough to understand!

gb Offline AimlessWanderer

• Zombie Apprentice
  • I'm not a pessimist, I'm an experienced optimist!
Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 10:54:31 AM
I've nearly bought a Diesel several times, but keep changing my mind at the last minute, maybe because it's MP600 size rather than MP400 .... or maybe the flat Phillips ... or the inboard tools ...  :think:

As for the "what next" question, if I think it's a tool which would be very handy on occasion I'll keep it. If it's something I know I'd likely chew my own hand off to avoid using, I'll sell/trade/gift it

The cantankerous but occasionally useful member, formally known as 50ft-trad

ph Offline Goatlord666

• I am the ghost that haunts the GERBER MTo Forum
Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 09:05:28 PM
juggle them to the delight of the opposite sex!
Cheers,
Gabriel

"you can't always get what you want, but sometimes you get what you need"

"I have a confession to make: I am addicted to steel, I have a smoking problem, I have a short attention span and I am easily amused"

"Balisongs Forever!!!"

us Offline Rs217

• Please send coffee
Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 10:36:35 PM
You can always have good luck trading on these forums!

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 12:59:05 AM
You can always have good luck trading on these forums!

I've been considering it.  I've got a pretty good sized drawer filled with tools that I doubt I'll ever use including some novelty or collector items.

Problem is I can't think of anything else that I really want.  And of the few I can they're retired and probably in the hands of the collectors.  And when I got them, for example a Switchplier or a Pulse, I probably wouldn't like them better than the Wave or Spirit and they'd go into the drawer with the Diesel.

It's a real conundrum!   :ahhh

us Offline sawman

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • You're amongst friends.
Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 01:15:40 AM
Use them for trades toward something you do want.  :tu:
SAW

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 02:24:10 PM
I mostly give them to my brother and he then looses them.
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

us Offline Rs217

• Please send coffee
Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 03:23:25 PM
How does it compare to the Flik?

us Offline 3rdpig

Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 06:01:54 PM
How does it compare to the Flik?

IMO it's far superior to the Flik as long as you don't mind all the blades being inside opening.  The tiny, nearly unusable inside tools in the Flik make it a non starter for me.  I sold mine and in retrospect I should never have gotten it in the first place since I have a Freehand and have first hand experience with the useless tools on it and I knew the Flik was the same.  Of course, I guess the same could be said of the Diesel, after having a 400,600, Octane, Flik and Freehand I should have known I don't really like the sliding plier design.  Putting outside tools on it helps, but then that makes the inside tools tiny and unusable.

scotland Offline Gareth

• Admin Team
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 06:46:34 PM
I sell or trade my surplus MT's.  Like you I'm no collector and use all of my MT's at some point in the year (other an a couple of sentimental ones).  If I hold them in no kind of regard, or I cannot think of a situation where they might be superior to anything else I have, then they get passed along.
Be excellent to each other and always know where your towel is.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%