Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

gb Offline Roadie

• No Life Club
  • Hello...is this thing on?
Re: Pup tent's
Reply #30 on: May 08, 2008, 11:24:51 PM
Ah wet, just the way I like em.  :D

Oh great now you've gone and gotten him all excited Mike!!

p.s. nearly at the 5k mark ben!
Life is like a sandwich...the older it gets the crustier it becomes!

england Offline Benner

• Global Tuffy
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • Just Awesome! And a Slayer of Polar Bear!
Reply #31 on: May 08, 2008, 11:26:03 PM

p.s. nearly at the 5k mark ben!

I just noticed that. 

Mike don't worry about the dance this time.  :D
I'm back!!

gb Offline Mike, Lord of the Spammers!

• Chief of the Absolutely No Life Club!
  • Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here...
  • Why haven't you got a Farmer yet!
Reply #32 on: May 08, 2008, 11:26:25 PM
I'm more than a little frightened now :o

You should be!  >:D  At least they are the other side of the pond, your 45 mins away!  :D
I'm sitting in a little puddle as I type :o

Ah wet, just the way I like em.  :D
:ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :ahhh :D
Give in, buy several Farmer's!!!!!!

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #33 on: May 11, 2008, 01:33:18 AM
Has anyone slept in a pup tent
Yes, unfortunately WAY too many times. That was standard issue when I was in the (US)military and of course being Infantry you can guess how often I slept under those. I think the Soldiers and Marines have better equipment now. 
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Reply #34 on: May 11, 2008, 10:46:58 AM
Has anyone slept in a pup tent
Yes, unfortunately WAY too many times. That was standard issue when I was in the (US)military and of course being Infantry you can guess how often I slept under those. I think the Soldiers and Marines have better equipment now. 
Modern soldiers are pampered little creatures so probably :D

Offline FredKJ

Reply #35 on: May 20, 2008, 03:53:08 PM
In the modern age of backpacking tents pup tents are very archaic and the alternatives are far better.  If you want to go simple but still want some protection from the elements a simple tarp arrangement is best.  Otherwise if you need the enclosure a good backpacking tent is far superior.  I have a Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight.  It's very basic and lightweight. 

Reply #36 on: May 20, 2008, 04:48:21 PM
In the modern age of backpacking tents pup tents are very archaic and the alternatives are far better.  If you want to go simple but still want some protection from the elements a simple tarp arrangement is best.  Otherwise if you need the enclosure a good backpacking tent is far superior.  I have a Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight.  It's very basic and lightweight. 
I use a tarp/hammock rig all the time for myself, but the pup tent idea is just supposed to be a cheap one off for the uk meet up :)

Offline FredKJ

Reply #37 on: May 20, 2008, 05:41:39 PM
Old fashion pup tents usually don't keep the rain out and are not good in wind.  A poncho can make a decent tarp but is a bit small.  Don't know what you have in the UK but even an inexpensive small tent from a Walmart here would be better than a pup tent.  If you are camping for a meet and not backpacking a larger tent will be more comfortable.  If you are camping around people privacy can be an issue when changing etc.  You won't get that from a tarp.

Reply #38 on: May 20, 2008, 06:44:58 PM
Thanks for the reply mate :cheers:

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #39 on: May 20, 2008, 07:50:33 PM
I use a tarp/hammock rig all the time for myself, but the pup tent idea is just supposed to be a cheap one off for the uk meet up :)

This inexpensive Wenzel is a good example of a modern pup tent:
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___35842
One of the best tents you'll find for less than 30 bucks.

Light and cheap, but still offers basic shelter from the elements.  Perhaps even more important for summer camping, it offers decent protection from bugs.

Wal Mart and most of the other big box stores, will offer something similar in price.  Coleman's a decent inexpensive brand to look for and they'll have no-name brand tents even cheaper.  I remember seeing two-man dome tents at WalMart for around 20 bucks!

For your purpose, where weight and compactness aren't that important, something like this would be better:
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___36275
For the same price as the Wenzel pup tent, it offers more interior room and comparable weather protection.  WalMart offers similar tents for 20 to 25 bucks.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2008, 08:48:11 PM by ringzero »
N

Reply #40 on: May 20, 2008, 10:25:51 PM
Yeah there are plenty of cheap tent's available, I just don't want to waste money on something I'll never use :-\. I do plan on getting a reasonably sophisticated tent next year for me and my son to use.

But for the UK meet up, I'd sooner Ben or Ryan bought a 58 poncho so we can make a pup tent :D

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #41 on: May 21, 2008, 09:47:05 PM
Yeah there are plenty of cheap tent's available, I just don't want to waste money on something I'll never use :-\. I do plan on getting a reasonably sophisticated tent next year for me and my son to use.

But for the UK meet up, I'd sooner Ben or Ryan bought a 58 poncho so we can make a pup tent :D

From late autumn through early spring camping I prefer to take along a simple tarp (except for high elevations and/or deep snow in which case I'll take a 4-season tent.)

For late spring through early autumn, including most especially summer, a tent with decent bug netting is a real blessing.  Even the cheapest no-brand-name department store tent can be excellent for bug protection.

I've suffered through too many miserable nights being chewed on by bugs to do without a tent in summertime.

N

Offline FredKJ

Reply #42 on: May 21, 2008, 09:52:59 PM
I use a Clip Flashlight for backpacking.  This is the current version.  As you can see it is extremely lightweight but if you aren't backpacking that is not an issue.

http://www.rei.com/product/763150

A tent with a seperate fly is generally going to work better than a pup tent.  While a poncho can make a basic fly shelter a lightweight nylon tarp is going to give you more coverage and can be configured in different ways.

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #43 on: May 21, 2008, 10:29:45 PM
I use a Clip Flashlight for backpacking.  This is the current version.  As you can see it is extremely lightweight but if you aren't backpacking that is not an issue.

http://www.rei.com/product/763150

A tent with a seperate fly is generally going to work better than a pup tent.  While a poncho can make a basic fly shelter a lightweight nylon tarp is going to give you more coverage and can be configured in different ways.

I've had a Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight for years and have been pretty happy with it.  Not an ultralight tent and can be sort of a pain to set up, but offers solid weather protection and excellent bug protection.

IMHO, for its price it is an excellent value for a 2-man, 3-season tent.

N

us Offline ducktapehero

• No Life Club
  • Plants should be smoked, not eaten.
Reply #44 on: May 22, 2008, 12:27:58 AM
In the modern age of backpacking tents pup tents are very archaic
Pup tents were archaic at the beginning of the 20th century. They were OK during the middle 1800's but they should have been replaced soon after that. It's actually kinda sad that the US(and I'm assuming other "modern") military used them for so long.
http://ducksrandomthoughts.blogspot.com - or follow me on Twitter- @ducksthoughts

It's hard to say nipple without smirking.

Offline FredKJ

Reply #45 on: May 22, 2008, 04:55:56 AM
In the modern age of backpacking tents pup tents are very archaic
Pup tents were archaic at the beginning of the 20th century. They were OK during the middle 1800's but they should have been replaced soon after that. It's actually kinda sad that the US(and I'm assuming other "modern") military used them for so long.

Yes.  Modern backpacking tents have a seperate rainfly.  There's a reason for that.  If it's raining and you seal up a pup tent you will still get wet.  you sweat and breath.  It will make the inside of a sealed tent wet and clammy.  With a seperate rainfly you have ventilation yet still keep the rain off.  The only people who use pup tents anymore are kids who play camping. They also don't really keep the rain out well.  If you want to go cheap and simple a lightweight nylon tarp can be put up in many configurations. 

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #46 on: May 22, 2008, 09:08:44 AM
Yes.  Modern backpacking tents have a seperate rainfly.  There's a reason for that.  If it's raining and you seal up a pup tent you will still get wet.  you sweat and breath.  It will make the inside of a sealed tent wet and clammy.  With a seperate rainfly you have ventilation yet still keep the rain off.  The only people who use pup tents anymore are kids who play camping. They also don't really keep the rain out well.  If you want to go cheap and simple a lightweight nylon tarp can be put up in many configurations. 

All true, but there is still a rationale for the humble pup tent:  it's all some people can afford.

I spent many nights in various pup tents before I could afford my first really decent backpacking tent.

Except in heavy windblown rain, you can keep the ends of a pup tent open for ventilation and stay dry.  You can even stay fairly dry in heavier rains, although things may get somewhat soggy from condensation.

The one big advantage of a pup tent over a tarp setup:  bug protection - which is not inconsequential at this time of the year.

N

Offline FredKJ

Reply #47 on: May 22, 2008, 02:31:40 PM
True a tarp will do nothing for bugs.  If their are budget issues there is another option.  I'd rather look through the second hand market for a used backpacking tent than a pup tent.  Bugs aren't that bad of an issue usually.  Of course skeeters can be a problem but there is DEET for them. 

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #48 on: May 27, 2008, 02:38:28 AM
True a tarp will do nothing for bugs.  If their are budget issues there is another option.  I'd rather look through the second hand market for a used backpacking tent than a pup tent.  Bugs aren't that bad of an issue usually.  Of course skeeters can be a problem but there is DEET for them. 

I've always been a tarp man all the way - from fall through spring.

If the weather's good, I don't bother even putting up a tarp and just sleep on a groundcloth that I can roll up in if there is unexpected rain before morning.

I love sleeping under the stars with no obstructions around me to block my view of the natural world.

However, I hate bugs:  skeeters, biting flys, midges, chiggers, ticks, wolf spiders.

Sure, I could tough it out during summertime with just a tarp, but why?  I spend time outside for pleasure, and having bugs interfere with getting a good night's rest isn't very pleasurable - at least for me.

N

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #49 on: May 27, 2008, 03:13:01 AM
Anyone tried something like this?

http://www.alpharubicon.com/prepinfo/ponchotent.htm

I personally use a small bivouac tent while backpacking.  Brand new it was $30, and it's lasted about 4 years now.  I wouldn't recommend it if you're at all claustrophobic.  With the rainfly on, it feels like a coffin.  (don't ask me how I know what a coffin feels like)

If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #50 on: May 27, 2008, 03:16:04 AM
How do you know what a coffin feels like?  :police: :D A small bivouac tent looks really convenient!
B

us Offline 665ae

• Formerly known as 665ae
  • No Life Club
  • blah blah blah
Reply #51 on: May 27, 2008, 03:33:59 AM
What part of "don't ask..." do you not understand?   :twak: 
If you took all the intestines out of your body and stretched them end to end... you would die.

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #52 on: May 27, 2008, 03:49:40 AM
LOL!   ::)
B

Offline ringzero

• No Life Club
  • Spawn of Cthulhu
Reply #53 on: May 27, 2008, 06:45:48 AM

Not exactly, although this guy's pole system looks well constructed.

One problem I see immediately is that the highest point is at the center of the poncho, with the ends sloping down to touch the ground.

So, the poncho has plenty of clearance above your belly, but nearly touches your face and feet.  Not good in terms of your breath condensing on the poncho and then dripping back onto your face.

Also not good in terms of usable space if you want to get in out of the rain to change clothes, cook, etc.

I have various pole systems to use with tarps.  Some poles salvaged from old tents and some poles bought just to use with a tarp.

Sometimes I don't carry poles in order to save weight.  I'll improvise poles using a hiking staff or an ice axe, or do without and hang the tarp between trees.

I personally use a small bivouac tent while backpacking.  Brand new it was $30, and it's lasted about 4 years now.  I wouldn't recommend it if you're at all claustrophobic.  With the rainfly on, it feels like a coffin.  (don't ask me how I know what a coffin feels like)

(Image removed from quote.)

Looks like a great buy for 30 bucks!  Brand?  Weight?

Yeah, that coffin feel is just the nature of the beast with most bivouac tents.

They are hard to beat for complete weather and bug protection at a minimal weight.  Room to move around inside is sacrificed for lightweight.

N

Reply #54 on: May 27, 2008, 08:49:46 AM

(Image removed from quote.) 
Yeah I bought my son one a ew years go as a play tent :)

Pretty robust for the money :)

Offline FredKJ

Reply #55 on: May 27, 2008, 02:59:46 PM
Remember that when you get a tent no matter how good it is it can still leak water.  The exception is some high end tents that have taped seams.  Unless you have one of these you will have to apply seam sealer to the seams.  The stuff usually comes in a tube and you smear it on the seams of the tent to waterproof those areas.  If you don't water will get n the seams.  You should also regularly re-seal the seams depending on usage and wear but usually once a year at least is a good idea. 

Offline nezza33

Reply #56 on: May 28, 2008, 03:25:22 PM
I always pack a gortex bivi bag.
J

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41